Author Topic: SE CVT 2002 expected problems/handling/juddering etc.  (Read 1146 times)

iamthedins

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SE 2002 CVT 1.3
SE CVT 2002 expected problems/handling/juddering etc.
« on: August 30, 2019, 10:19:50 PM »
Hi.Got a 2002 CVT w 75k on clock.Just passed mot with flying colours (except for rear off shock absorber).
It judders on start every now and then(fluid flush needed as far as i understand),brakes feel somewhat spongy,at some points steering feels bit heavy and there is some sort of rattling noise coming from front when idle.
Plus on country roads it feels really unstable.Maybe that's just me...
Oh and are alloys standart on it cause i've got steel wheels on?Read somewhere here that SE has got alloys as standart...
Thanks.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
Re: SE CVT 2002 expected problems/handling/juddering etc.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 08:34:21 AM »
Hi,
Yes alloys were standard on the SE.
I found the steering is a bit heavy at odd times, usually when I'm doing the three point turn on my street when I park. Never had it above parking speeds.
I find mine's at its best on country roads so may be something to look at there. Perhaps the wheel alignment? You haven't hit a kerb since the MOT is suppose?
No ideas about your rattle. I suppose you've had a look that nothing's loose under the bonnet?
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

iamthedins

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SE 2002 CVT 1.3
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 02:07:04 PM »
So i should be able change to alloys w/out letting insurance know about it,right?Wouldn't count as a modification...

I had allignment checked,garage said there was no need.No,i haven't hit a kerb but when i got the car left front trim was cracked and bumper scratched indicating that someone had went into something/someone.Still-garage said nothing about it.

I'll have to check more thoroughly then under the bonnet.

And i had an idea to try transmisssion revitalizer.Should i flush the box first or would it be ok to inject as is?

Thanks.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 02:45:24 PM »
I would certainly change the transmission oil first, preferably twice as a flush. ONLY use Honda CVT-F.
There's info on here about changing the oil yourself.

Vic.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 04:08:43 PM »
So i should be able change to alloys w/out letting insurance know about it,right?Wouldn't count as a modification...

So long as you fit a set of original Honda wheels. Anything fancy, and the insurance won't like it if it gets pinched.

Rattle at idle, you need to have a good listen to see where it's coming from. Could be something loose, as suggested above.

Steering not the lightest on the Jazz anyway, but does it feel like an intermittent problem? Tracking will make the steering twitchy with excessive toe out. When does it feel unstable, during any particular manoeuvre? Tyre pressures okay? Maybe get the shock absorbers checked at that age.

jon1612

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 idsi cvt 7 sport
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 03:36:25 PM »
Hi.  CVT fluid needs changing every couple of years. mine is a idsi sport cvt 7,  only just recently bought it ( 2007   72k miles) started the cvt judder day after i got it, read a few forums and found the XADO additive having had autos many times many years ago that were fixed with  " mechanic in a can" additives decided to give it a try.
this stuff is black magic voodoo stuff, 3 miles and judder was gone. just waiting till have done 500 miles since then will flush and change cvt oil then probably add another tube of the Xado stuff ( make sure you get the auto transmission stuff ) it works best £20 you will have spent.  available on ebay
might even sort out your noise on idle

hope this helps

Tags:

anything