Author Topic: engine briefly loses power whilst accelerating at low speed  (Read 6771 times)

pez

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: first generation 1.4 cvt7
Re: engine briefly loses power whilst accelerating at low speed
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2019, 11:23:37 AM »
Hi Culzean

Ok Thanks. I've since my last post been on the phone to Honda who said the same as you in that it is a i-DSi engine and that the plugs should be BKR6E-11 and that there are 8. So not the 75K iridium plugs that my Honda dealer stated!

Just phoned the old dealer who has 'looked after' the car since 2011 who tells me that they have never changed the plugs! They must have been under the illusion that they were 75K plugs too!?

The car is being serviced next week and I've already factored in getting the brake fluid done, so thanks for noticing that too.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2019, 02:37:11 PM »
Just phoned the old dealer who has 'looked after' the car since 2011 who tells me that they have never changed the plugs! They must have been under the illusion that they were 75K plugs too!?

That's a Honda dealer? Just remind me why I service my own.

The plug gaps will be a mile out by now.

The car is being serviced next week and I've already factored in getting the brake fluid done, so thanks for noticing that too.

Don't forget to do the clutch fluid at the same time, often overlooked and it works hard.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2019, 03:05:57 PM »
Nothing to stop you putting the Denso Iridium plugs from Opie in the rear plugs - will hardly break the bank at £7.50 each.  Then you can happily forget about the rear plugs  for 100,000 miles, and the front ones are literally a 30 minute job. . The rear plugs are pretty easy to do on the i-DSi ( unlike the I-Vtec where you have to take the scuttle off and unbolt the wiper motor) I wouldn't give them to the dealer to put in for you though the cycnical side of me says that they will probably keep the Iridium and put bog standard copper / nickel plugs in - and you have no way of checking what they fitted unless you take them out and look.  Like Sparky I do not trust dealers which is why I do the work myself - then I know exactly what has been done and what fluids / oils / parts have been used and the quality of them.

If you get plugs replaced and still have a problem it may be due to a coil pack FUBAR due to large rear plug gaps demanding more volts from it,  that is worst case though and the coils are pretty cheap and available of ebay etc.  search coils or coil packs in 2002 to 2008 section and there are links to sellers in there.  The front and rear coil packs are not interchangeable, they are different lengths, although all the front and all the rear packs are identical..
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 03:11:10 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

pez

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2019, 03:57:40 PM »
Thanks all who posted here to help me work this out! Seems like my car did have the wrong owner's manual in the glove compartment, so I'll need to get the right one..... a good place to start.

Car going in on Saturday for a service so I'm sure a few things will come to light then, anything interesting and I will of course let you know.

Thanks again for all your help

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 04:52:41 PM by Jocko »

pez

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2019, 05:30:50 PM »
Thanks Jocko,

Forgive me for asking but do you know if that is the right manual for my 2008 GE3. I can't find anything on the manual that I've got to say what model it belongs to.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2019, 06:14:55 PM »
This is the same manual I got supplied with my 2006 Mk 1. I later downloaded a pdf file of the same manual called Jazz 08 ENG. The link I sent you is the same manual, though the suffix on the serial number is different.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2019, 08:15:52 PM »
Thanks Jocko,

Forgive me for asking but do you know if that is the right manual for my 2008 GE3. I can't find anything on the manual that I've got to say what model it belongs to.

The one Jocko linked to is the correct manual - it's the same as the one supplied with our 2008 GE3.

pez

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2019, 09:32:18 PM »
Thanks both, really appreciate that. Useful to have a working manual with proper info. Reckon my manual is for the later Mk2.... a real bum steer, and me being new to the jazz a tricky start!

pez

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2019, 04:59:19 PM »
Hello again,

So car serviced today by my local independent. Nice chap who reckoned that the 8 plugs, air filter and pollen filter had never been changed in the life of the car although both filters were claimed to have been changed in the service record! He showed them to me and they were very dirty. It was registered in 09, so probably 10 years use. Makes we wonder now about hondas claim to have change the cvt fluid.

Its a bit early to tell but I'm hoping the plug change at 48K miles will solve my misfiring/ losing power issue. Did I mention that I checked with the main dealer that had 'serviced' the car from new to see if/when they had changed the plugs. They told me they had never changed them and my local honda dealer told me they were fine cos they were iridium which they weren't! What a bunch of charlatans. I definitely won't be taking my car back to a main dealer anytime soon.

Thanks all for all your help.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2019, 10:25:06 AM »
Story from my brothers mother in law car..

When she got too old to drive her Fiesta she bequeathed it to my brothers daughter as her first car after she passed her driving test,  so as it had been standing in her garage for about a year i went up to her house with brother to check it over - check brakes, battery and oil etc to make sure it was fit for MOT.  Well considering the car had been 'serviced' regularly it was not a good story - the oil was black and the brake fluid had a tar like deposit in bottom of reservoir so we had to take reservoir off and clean it thoroughly and then bleed the whole system to get the very old fluid out - seems to me garages take full advantage of customers and do as little work as possible, knowing 99% of people do not check...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2019, 04:18:40 PM »
So car serviced today by my local independent. Nice chap who reckoned that the 8 plugs, air filter and pollen filter had never been changed in the life of the car although both filters were claimed to have been changed in the service record! He showed them to me and they were very dirty. It was registered in 09, so probably 10 years use. Makes we wonder now about hondas claim to have change the cvt fluid.
I would get the CVT fluid changed: The recommended CVT fluid change interval for the Mk 1 Jazz was 4 years / 50k miles which proved to be insufficient to avoid the CVT judder problem eventually appearing. Around 2013 Honda reduced the interval recommended for the Mk 2 Jazz CVT to 2 years / 25k miles. Sensibly this should also be applied to the Mk 1. Consequently, even if the dealer did do the CVT fluid change as recommended then another change would be advisable to help keep the CVT box clean.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

gtd2000

• Approved Member
  • Tell it as it is..NOT how it should be!
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2019, 09:23:03 AM »
Thanks Sparky Paul,

My car is off to the garage next week (an independent), who will clean the EGR valve for me whilst doing the service... if that doesn't work, the spark plugs are gonna get it!

If I had bought a mk1 I would replace plugs anyway, so many garages do not even know the engine has 8 plugs and just replace the visible ones at the front, there are many posts on this forum where rear plugs have been removed and the gaps are huge as they have never been changed since car was new , the large gap also has the knock on effect of making the coils packs fail.

That's exactly what happened with our first Jazz, a good number of years back.

Everybody said EGR and deep among all of the EGR replies was one solitary voice (amongst hundreds) that said "check the other set of plugs".

That's exactly what it was - gaps were massive and had presumably never been changed during the life of the car.

Got a full set of Bosche plugs from EuroCarParts for £13 odd.

Car ran perfectly right up to over 130K with that set when it was sold on.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 09:24:56 AM by gtd2000 »

Tags:

anything