Author Topic: Two more oddities.  (Read 8502 times)

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
Re: Two more oddities.
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2016, 01:41:11 PM »
Interesting, thanks for the clarification. With regard to this...
... So in order to keep the engine from stopping you have no choice but to keep your brake pedal depressed  :( ... I don't understand why Honda have done this.
... from your description it sounds like it's the other way round, ie you have to keep your foot on the brake in order for the engine to stop, and releasing the brake re-starts it ?
Oops, yes. A typo. I'll correct that.
FWIW I've never understood why car manufacturers have been allowed to flout Rule 114 of the Highway Code (this link https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/general-rules-techniques-and-advice-for-all-drivers-and-riders-103-to-158 and scroll down to 114) when designing their auto-stop systems. It's not just Honda, I think most (all ?) autos are designed like this.
Irritating. I hate doing it. I've always been critical of those who don't use their handbrake when stationary. But now, sadly, I've had to join that distinguished club.

..well I do still use my HB but I also keep my brake pedal down.  :-[
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 01:53:01 PM by andruec »

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 09:14:11 AM »
It's not just Honda, I think most (all ?) autos are designed like this.
It does seem that way. I found a link to the Nissan system and it says the same - it also says it avoids idle stop when you're manoeuvring.

The Wikipedia article also implies it's common practice.

"Cars with automatic transmissions shut down upon braking to a full stop - the shut down is activated the footbrake pedal being in use when the car comes to a halt."

It seems slightly odd to me. I'd say it was saving money on the grounds that a lot of auto drivers do just sit on the foot brake so why bother with anything more but that doesn't explain why the gear lever does have a sensor/switch and that they've gone to the trouble of allowing us to shift into neutral without the engine restarting.

It seems like a deliberate design decision and I can't fathom out why. I did actually email Honda to ask but I got a pointless boilerplate reply explaining how idle stop works on the automatic version. Pretty much what I'd already said in the email and what I could read for myself from the handbook.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:49:43 AM by andruec »

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 08:29:44 PM »
Then when parking my car I waited for the wipers to reach the bottom and switched off. Instead of the engine going off I got a beep and the display showed the image for 'hold the brake down to start'. Pressed the button again and the engine went off.
I think I know the answer to this. Very occasionally I switch the car off while it's in Neutral (no idea why, just temporary brain fade). Moving the gear lever to Park causes the car to prompt you to press the brake pedal to restart the engine. Quite why I sometimes do that is a whole other mystery. I've been driving an automatic for many years now so you'd think that selecting Park before switching off was ingrained and inviolable.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 08:32:30 PM by andruec »

guest6316

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2016, 09:16:54 PM »
You are spot on andruec.

I do exactly the same thing at least once a fortnight so I guess you and I are suffering from same brain disorder :'(.

Tags:

anything