Author Topic: Mk3 vs Mk2, my first impressions.  (Read 4791 times)

Andyjm15

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 SE manual. Lunar silver
Mk3 vs Mk2, my first impressions.
« on: June 25, 2019, 08:39:56 PM »
It’s been done before I know, but after one week of ownership this is how I feel the 2018 1.3 SE compares with a 2012 Mk2 1.4 ES, both manual gearboxes, and it’s just the things that have stood out during the 300 miles I’ve done.

The Mk3 feels like a car from the next size up. The Mk2 felt like a spacious supermini.
The seats are much more supportive.
The ride is much, much better.
Road noise is much less noticeable.
Engine is quieter at a cruise, but maybe a bit noisier when it’s pushed.
I prefer the Mk3 dash. The Mk2s mishmash of different plastics always grated on me. The Mk3 cabin feels more grown up and a nicer place to be.
The smaller door mirrors make squeezing through small gaps on country lanes so much easier. Being narrower by 2” overall makes a huge difference.
MPG seems to be a bit better, but the savings are not going to change anyone’s life.
Atkinson cycle hasn’t bothered me one bit. Adjusting to a 6 speed gearbox took the most time.
The loss of the versatile boot floor is a pity, but I knew that going in.

Nearly forgot this one. According to my insurance company when renewal time comes around the Mk3 will be cheaper to insure by an guesstimated 10 to 15% because of the auto city braking and parking sensors. I’m not complaining if that turns out to be true.

I was expecting something no better than the Mk2, but the test drive surprised me.
I like the Mk3 very much so far. A big car feel with easier to drive dimensions than the Mk2. For the first time in years I look forward to driving.
Time will tell if that remains the case.

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
Re: Mk3 vs Mk2, my first impressions.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 01:26:33 PM »
Interesting views. We've just purchased an MK3 and have both the previous generations in the family.

I can't say I agree with a lot of the points you mentioned but this is subjective so, each to their own opinion.

For me, the MK2 feels more spacious than the MK3. There is better headroom and the sides don't cave in as much. Headroom wise, the MK1 is the best of the lot. There is more leg room in the rear of the MK3 but this is at the expense of boot space - which is noticeable. It was one of the first things we noticed. The MK3 boot is much smaller than the previous generations.

Seats are about the same, I'd say MK1 seats are most comfortable but none of the Jazz seats are particularly supportive if I'm honest. The ride doesn't feel like an improvement over the MK2, it may even be marginally firmer but certainly not more refined.

I find the MK2 the quietest of the 3 generations with the MK1 the loudest but there isn't that much difference overall.

I too prefer the MK3 dash design but the infotainment system in the MK3 is a good idea let down by the software. Some of the controls could be far simpler. Take the cruise control for example, I still have no idea how to operate it, despite having used CC in other cars for many years!

I hadn't noticed that the wing mirrors are narrower on the MK3 but we really do not like the way the mirror tapers and curves down at the ends as it makes it harder to see. We much prefer the older mirrors which have a larger mirror area making it much easier to use.

I can't really comment on the MPG as we haven't had it long enough to say but we haven't noticed any difference in consumption between our 1.4 MK1 Sport, 1.4 MK2 and our 1.5 MK3 Sport (all manual).

The gearbox seems a little stiff in our MK3 (although it could be down to the low mileage), reverse gear is not always easy to engage unlike the MK1 and 2.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 01:44:20 PM »
Having last week a new MK3 Jazz as a loan car while my Civic was in for service I was not impressed at all, the seats were unsupportive and hard and being 6' 3" tall even with the seat fully back I could not straighten my legs out fully from the driving position.

Both myself and my OH thought the car was noisy and did not appear to have the build quality of my MK2 Jazz, in fact my OH said it was like sitting in a noisy tin can, very disappointed and don't think we would consider one.

Den Jerus

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 02:28:12 PM »
I have just taken collection of a 2016 Jazz SE, after trading in my 2011 HX.
My initial impression is that it feels bigger. The HX had the panoramic roof and consequently the front roof supports were bigger, The SE has a better view to the front. The automatic gearbox is not CVT and the changes through the gears was initially noticeable but soon faded into the quieter background noise of this ride. Noisier on acceleration.
This one seems to have all the toys that the Hybrid had (except the obvious planet saving stuff)and one or two more as technology has advanced since the 2011 model.
So far I am glad to have stuck with the Honda, the guys at the dealership were all Diamonds as well. And Mrs liked the flowers too!
BTW The HX was Black, the new one is Yellow.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 03:46:49 PM »
The SE has a better view to the front. The automatic gearbox is not CVT and the changes through the gears was initially noticeable but soon faded into the quieter background noise of this ride.
All recent Jazz automatic gearboxes are CVT.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 04:35:16 PM »
The automatic gearbox is not CVT and the changes through the gears was initially noticeable
As already noted, it is CVT. You've probably been confused because Honda fiddled with the CVT settings in a poor attempt to mimic a manual gearbox but probably also to get the engine out of Atkinson cycle mode when it thought acceleration was needed. I believe this behaviour was improved in the recent refresh.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 10:23:36 PM »
Some interesting views here. I, too, have had a MK2 and now a Mk3. My comparison is skewed a bit because I went from manual to automatic when I got my Mk3. This means a much more relaxed cruise at 70 mph because the CVT can cruise at that speed on about 2,500 revs as opposed to 3,500 in the Mk2 manual.

Apart from that I can't really see that much progress has been made, a bit better economy, a slightly better ride but we have lost the passenger side cup holder, the EX doesn't have a panoramic roof and the two compartment glove box which enabled you to keep water cool has gone. I also felt the Mk2 felt more airy inside.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 05:30:19 AM »
As I have posted several times, I did 256,000 in my 2011 Hybrid Jazz, and when the Mk3s were in the showrooms I went for a test drive, however when the 2011 Jazz died, I went for another Mk2 Hybrid, despite cost and fuel economy being quite similar and no regrets.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 08:48:22 AM »
Seems that every new model of Jazz has got smaller in the boot and that 'airy ' feel inside cabin has been reduced,  wifes MK2 boot is smaller than the MK1s she had.  Smaller side windows / higher waist don't help ( except with NCAP ).   I must say though that fancy electronic gizmos and screen with everything on it do not float my boat,  I much prefer tactile, single purpose knobs that I can easily find without looking.  Don't even particularly like Honda version of climate control,  I did an experiment last year with a temperature probe in one of the vets and set temperature at 20 deg C on a cold day, for the first mile it blew out 50 degree C air, which gradually reduced until after a few miles the air was down to lower than ambient ( went down to about 16 degree ).  Now I know why my wife complains about 'cold draughts) in the car.  I would rather they measures the temperature of air coming out of the vents as the 'set temp' ( with older manual temp control knobs at least you could set a comfortable temperature coming out of vents rather than the variable temperature from red hot to cold you get with Honda system).  They have tried to emulate a house heating system where you have a room thermostat ( down by steering wheel ) and keep that constant,  but most home heating systems do not blow air out of vents.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 09:06:12 AM »
but most home heating systems do not blow air out of vents.
And if they do, they don't blow it straight in your face!

Andyjm15

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 10:04:03 AM »
Interesting views all round and I expected the majority to say they don’t like the Mk3.
I do agree that the Mk2 had a more airy feel to the cabin, and that the auto air con was annoying at times. Unexpectedly blasting cold air at our faces was never appreciated.
The manual heater controls on the Mk3 SE suit me so much better. Air con on all the time and adjust the temperature with the heater controls seems nearly as easy so far. It was one of the reasons I didn’t consider an EX. Touchscreen heater controls put me off too!
I’ve also noticed the reduction in leg room for the driver. I’m 6’ 1” and have the seat fully back. The Mk2 seat went back a fair bit more. I fit in the Mk3 perfectly, but if I was taller it would be an instant deal breaker.
The gearbox seems fine on mine, nice and light, although I still haven’t fully adjusted to 6 speeds. I haven’t learned which ratio it needs at times yet and I keep going from 6th to 3rd when I mean to try 5th. Definite user error that one.

I’m very happy at the moment, but in the end it will all come down to my major reason for buying Honda’s, reliability.
Lose that and there is no reason to buy one over any other car.
I’m not expecting any drivetrain issues, but I do wonder about how the added unnecessary features like the electronic driver and safety aids, and the touchscreen will behave over the years to come. We’ll see.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 03:58:53 PM »
Interesting views. We've just purchased an MK3 and have both the previous generations in the family.

I can't say I agree with a lot of the points you mentioned but this is subjective so, each to their own opinion.

For me, the MK2 feels more spacious than the MK3. There is better headroom and the sides don't cave in as much. Headroom wise, the MK1 is the best of the lot. There is more leg room in the rear of the MK3 but this is at the expense of boot space - which is noticeable. It was one of the first things we noticed. The MK3 boot is much smaller than the previous generations.
In 2016, shortly after exchanging my Mk2 for a Mk3, I posted the following. "There have been comments here about the MK III boot being 2-3 cms shorter, but it is also 2-3 cms taller, enabling Honda to claim that it is bigger at 354 litres.  The Which report praises the large boot, measuring it at 305 litres, which they say is the same as a Golf.  Clearly boot measurement is a messy business and depends on how you want to use it."
In practice, I have not found the boot to be smaller, and there is certainly more legroom in the back seats.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2019, 04:45:31 PM »

In 2016, shortly after exchanging my Mk2 for a Mk3, I posted the following. "There have been comments here about the MK III boot being 2-3 cms shorter, but it is also 2-3 cms taller, enabling Honda to claim that it is bigger at 354 litres.  The Which report praises the large boot, measuring it at 305 litres, which they say is the same as a Golf.  Clearly boot measurement is a messy business and depends on how you want to use it."
In practice, I have not found the boot to be smaller, and there is certainly more legroom in the back seats.

Ironically I know people with a 'Golf' that cannot get their golf clubs in the boot ( and people with Audi A3 as well ), they have to fold one of the back seats down..... In our MK1 Jazzes we could get two sets of golf clubs in boot, followed by two suitcases and some bags plus 2 fold up golf trollies with wheels removed - and they had full size spare wheels. Can't get that in wifes MK2, and there is plenty of legroom in rear of MK2 ( more than our neigbours Jaguar, certainly a lot more more than a Nissan Puke  ( and they have a tiny boot as well ).

I am sure car makers do not fit spare wheels any more so that they can claim the space as extra boot space.

My wife says,  why do Jazzes get smaller inside as they bring out newer models - I don't have an answer, maybe they improved the rear suspension which took up more room or it is to do with NCAP protection, where cars get bigger on the outside and smaller on the inside.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 04:50:00 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Andyjm15

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2019, 06:45:58 PM »

Ironically I know people with a 'Golf' that cannot get their golf clubs in the boot ( and people with Audi A3 as well ), they have to fold one of the back seats down..... In our MK1 Jazzes we could get two sets of golf clubs in boot, followed by two suitcases and some bags plus 2 fold up golf trollies with wheels removed - and they had full size spare wheels. Can't get that in wifes MK2, and there is plenty of legroom in rear of MK2 ( more than our neigbours Jaguar, certainly a lot more more than a Nissan Puke  ( and they have a tiny boot as well ).

I am sure car makers do not fit spare wheels any more so that they can claim the space as extra boot space.

My wife says,  why do Jazzes get smaller inside as they bring out newer models - I don't have an answer, maybe they improved the rear suspension which took up more room or it is to do with NCAP protection, where cars get bigger on the outside and smaller on the inside.
NCAP protection I expect.
The wider the car, the more protection for occupants. Most cars just get wider and wider. The Jazz is an exception to the rule and a very welcome one in my opinion.
Every car I’ve had since 2003 has been 1695mm wide + or- 1mm and it’s actually the first thing I look at in the buying process.
Bear in mind that Devon’s roads are busy and narrow in lots of places, so having that instinctive knowledge about the width of my car is invaluable. I wouldn’t buy one that was 50mm wider.
If that reduces interior space a bit that’s fine with me.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2019, 08:58:33 PM »
Bear in mind that Devon’s roads are busy and narrow in lots of places
During one of our many Devon holidays some 30 years ago, I had to keep pulling in to let cars pass and the oncoming drivers acknowledged by putting their hand up.

At the end of the journey, my 7 year old son commented "you know a lot of people down here don't you dad" :)

Tags:

anything