Author Topic: Honda Jazz red blinking security continues after unlocking car  (Read 7928 times)

lesgris

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Honda Jazz red blinking security continues after unlocking car
« on: November 07, 2016, 07:04:44 PM »
Hi,
I have driven my Jazz for the first time since I bought it new 5 months ago after recharging the battery from being flat
recently.
Now I can't find a way to stop the dashboard red light to stop flashing after stopping the car.
My wife tells me that she noticed over the past 5 months with the car in the garage that this light had always been on-perhaps the cause of the flat battery?

I'd appreciate any advice as to whether this is something I could sort out myself ,or whether this is a fault and a trip to the dealer is indicated.

Many thanks

Les

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Honda Jazz red blinking security continues after unlocking car
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 07:14:57 PM »
I suspect that this is the light telling you that the immobiliser is armed. Check the handbook.

Vic.

lesgris

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 08:50:20 PM »
Many thanks for your reply Vic,
Yes,you are quite right it is blinking after locking the car doors,and I assume  being in the armed state.
But after unlocking the doors ,the light doesn't stop flashing when I assume  it should.
  Perhaps I'd better go through the many pages in the manual more closely but being so new to the car I  suppose
I may have missed some setting or whatever.Bit perplexed right now.

Les

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 08:53:06 AM »
The question is does it stop blinking when you start the car? if it does all is well as there is no reason for it to stop just by unlocking the car. My understanding is when you start the car the key chip disables the immobiliser and the car is allowed to start. That's how my Mk II works anyway as does the wife's Daewoo

lesgris

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 02:41:59 PM »
Thank you very much for your reply and ,yes-to answer your question- the light does stop blinking when I start the car.
 I  was concerned that the light could be drawing power from my battery whilst it is lit.
But your own and your wife's experience and your explaination is very reassuring.

Les

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 05:07:58 PM »
Thank you very much for your reply and ,yes-to answer your question- the light does stop blinking when I start the car.
 I  was concerned that the light could be drawing power from my battery whilst it is lit.
It will be draining the battery, albeit slowly (0.2W power usage would drain the battery over about 3 months). I've left the previous (to Jazz) vehicles unused for a couple of months and they will still start, but I learnt that around a month is the limit on the Jazz.

This problem is also discussed at http://www.driving.co.uk/car-clinic/47166/. Sensibly Honda would have a solar charger built into the dashboard by the bottom of the windscreen (although no use in a windowless garage) to provide a small top-up charge. Alternatively, disconnect the battery. You will have to re-enter the radio code after reconnecting the battery but that is a lesser evil than a sick battery because it has been sitting in a discharged state.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags: