Author Topic: UPGRADE OF 2009 JAZZ 1.4 EX - FIT PARKING SENSORS AND REAR CAMERA, DRL's  (Read 4551 times)

JOCK55

• Approved Member
  • Returned and hopefully not forgotten!
  • My Honda: 2009, 1.4 EX Manual
Good Day Folks,

My Jazz is in need of a wee bit of an upgrade. I wish to fit Daylight Running Lights, Parking Sensors (front and rear) and a reversing camera (and video unit). Anyone else done this sort of upgrade to their vehicle? Any advice regarding brands or manufacturers of these items? Any help with fitting guides or, preferably, a fitting service here in the North of Scotland. I am not wanting to "pimp my ride" just bring it back into the modern age.

Any help or constructive advice is welcome.

Thanks,

Old Jock
My other car is a 2015 Range Rover Sport....
No, seriously, it is!!!

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
Re: UPGRADE OF 2009 JAZZ 1.4 EX - FIT PARKING SENSORS AND REAR CAMERA, DRL's
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 04:37:37 PM »
I fitted Dolphin rear parking sensors twelve months ago pretty comprehensive instructions and have been reliable, they also have a list of mobile fitters and a fixed price dependent on which kit you choose in most areas if you are not confident to do them yourself.

http://www.dolphin-direct.co.uk/category/parking-sensors
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 04:41:38 PM by Hobo »

guest1372

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 09:20:23 PM »
DRLs & parking sensors are probably the easiest to do; I feel a reversing camera is probably overkill for a flat backed car such as the Jazz although a dash cam with a secondary input might be of interest.

DRLs would be best illuminated when the key is in IG1 or higher, so you can still park with the key in ACC with the lights off and the radio on.  Fitting DRLs to a Mk2 should be electrically simple but you are slightly challenged when positioning them unless you have an Si. 

I'd recommend using a fusetap where possible instead of connecting directly to the car battery.

They should switch off when you illuminate your front position lights (sidelights), dipped beam or main beam, but are permitted to stay on if you momentarily flash your headlights.  They ought to be between 250mm and 1500mm from the road surface, the innermost part of the lamp be a minimum of 600mm apart and be at least 40mm from direction turn signals. 

You can get some that dim when headlights are illuminated, so they become secondary front position lights but then the whole lamp must be within 400mm of the side plane of the car.

DRLs are not part of the MOT (except for causing a hazard with broken glass lens or exposed wiring, or if they were acting as front position lights) but are ultimately covered by the Road Traffic Act via this chain of regulations.  United Nations ECE r87  >  EU directive 76/756/EEC  >  UK The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations as amended.  Manufactures would have to comply exactly, but a diyer should be given some leeway so long as you are not causing confusion or a nuisance to other road users.

When it comes to parking sensors I wonder how much paint you can cover them with before they lose effectiveness if at all?
--
TG

guest5079

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 11:01:52 AM »
I have fitted both front and rear parking sensors which some members feel are unnecessary but I still have problems with the distance at the front in close quarters.
I too used Dolphin and the rear sensors were a doddle, the only thing was being a general fit there was perhaps a surplus of wire. This I laid in loops NOT in a circle as to do so would set up a magnetic  field.
The front ones were a bit of pig having to pass through the bulkhead because I have speed sensitive on the front. They come with an on off switch if needed, this I wired in with a fuse. Only operating at less than about 5 miles an hour. The pick up from the front was via an OBD2 male plug from good old Ebay which I removed all of the contacts except the two Dolphin needed for the power. This means that if I need to access the OBD2 I just pull the plug out. This saved cutting into the OBD2 circuit. They both work well especially in Devon lanes when pigging great tractors fill the width of the lane and insist you reverse for what seems miles when they have just passed a passing place. Sorry this happened 5 times on a trip last Monday.

JOCK55

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Returned and hopefully not forgotten!
  • My Honda: 2009, 1.4 EX Manual
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 01:36:03 PM »
Thanks for your detailed response Aunty Neddy. It looks as though it will definitely be Dolphin Sensors and probably their DLR's as well.

I fully understand your comments regarding single track roads as most of the roads close to me are single track, although the local farmers are generally very considerate. The bane of our lives are the tourists! We love their money but not their driving habits. When another vehicle approaches them they do one of two things; one, slam on their brakes regardless where in the road their vehicle is and stare at you like a deer caught in the headlights, or two, accelerate like a lunatic trying to race to get to the nearest passing place so they can stop in it an let you pass!!! I am surprised there are not more accidents than there are.

Thanks a million for your advice.

Best regards,

Old Jock
My other car is a 2015 Range Rover Sport....
No, seriously, it is!!!

Tags: