Author Topic: replacement fuse also blows  (Read 26100 times)

miagdude

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2014
replacement fuse also blows
« on: February 29, 2024, 10:20:41 AM »
Hi guys, first time postie here, which is due to the reliability of my Honda Jazz 2014 ES Plus, which I have had for 3 years now. Noticed the other day that my cigarette lighter, which I use via a splitter for my Sat Nav and/or DAB radio was not working. I found that the #13 yellow 20Amp fuse had blown, so replaced it, not once, but twice, but they have also blown. Unfortunately, this now has me stumped. If anyone has come across this issue or can suggest further diagnosis, I would appreciate it.

HertsHonda

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX I-VTEC CVT 2017
Re: replacement fuse also blows
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 05:43:43 PM »
Being a Mk 3 owner I'm having trouble understanding the exact circuit you describing
Are the DAB and Satnav part of the Honda Infotainment System and is the Socket built in?
Or have you inserted a splitter into the wiring to power your own DAB / Satnav?
Either way - IMHO If a fuse is blowing there is probably a short circuit between the output of the fuse and the devices it protects or the device(s) have developed a fault.
Might be best to let an auto electrics or Honda dealer fix the problem.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2024, 09:53:17 AM »
If a fuse keeps blowing  you are drawing  more than 20 amps  . But things like sat navs, dashcams, phone chargers  dont normally draw many amps each. But its worth  checking their specifications to ensure that in total this is less than 20 amps -preferably even less.     Especially the Dab radio that might be running powerful amplifiers etc.

Its more likely to be a short circuit. The splitter may be faulty. These sometimes have their own fuse with a lower rating that should blow before the 20 amp car fuse. If yours is the type with a plug and a long  wire to  a separate set of sockets  unscrew this plug. It will typically contain a fuse,  and sometimes  the standard of electrical wiring here ,and in its sockets is very crude   .      You could try a different, better quality, splitter.

Or one of the devises you are running has a fault.     Or there may be a short circuit in the wiring to the lighter socket  such as a bare wire short circuiting, or a displaced contact  in the socket itself.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2024, 10:06:07 AM »
Splitters are not rated for high current draw..It should have an inbuilt fuse..Check that .
I suspect the splitter is faulty.
Try each plug in accessory w/o the splitter to ensure one of them is not faulty.

miagdude

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2014
Re: replacement fuse also blows - resolved
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2024, 07:51:30 PM »
Hi folks, have finally worked out that the 3-in-1 adapter/splitter which is a push-fit into my cigarette lighter and powers my SAT-NAV and DAB radio is the problem. When its removed, and replaced with another splitter, there is no issue. Its only taken me 4 blown fuses to get to this point. good thing they are as cheap as chips. A setup which has worked without any issue for at least 2 years suddenly goes on the blink.  These non-moving part setups should work forever. ;D  Thanks again for hearing me out. It might be sometime before my Jazz plays up again.

HertsHonda

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX I-VTEC CVT 2017
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2024, 10:59:23 PM »
@miagdude

Pleased to hear problem solved! Congrats.
IMHO Progressive removal of components and adding new of known quality usually works.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2024, 10:09:45 AM »
Glad to hear it is sorted.
My diagnostic fee is £50.. I only accept Paypal Friends and Family   8) 8) 8)

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2024, 11:03:22 AM »
90% of car issues these days can be traced back to poor quality copy copies parts from China.
The first step get rid of after market crap, then check where the copy parts or come from and start again if available with manufacturers parts catalogue.

Tags: