Author Topic: Bang, no drive  (Read 3402 times)

t8by

• Registered Member
Bang, no drive
« on: November 26, 2023, 12:41:14 PM »
Hi, would appreciate some advice on what to do with my Jazz.

Just now, whilst pulling out of a steep uphill t junction, there was a bang from the front of my car and all drive was lost. I rolled the car back into a parking spot. It runs fine in neutral, and switches into gear fine, but makes a grinding noise when in gear. There doesn't appear to be anything dragging on the ground under the car.

Last week the alternator died (belt had snapped as well as alternator failure). That was replaced (new belt and alternator). The next day I did a 5 mile round drive and all was well. This morning was when the above catastrophic failure happened. The mechanic mentioned having to take the intake manifold off to fit the new belt. Is it possible that something wasn't tightened properly during the works, and this has resulted in the failure I've seen this morning?

I've used this garage for a while and do trust the work that they do, just looking for some advice as whatever has gone wrong has happened within a few miles of the car being worked on.

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
Re: Bang, no drive
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 02:44:08 PM »
To me it sounds more like a clutch or drive shaft issue. Nothing to do with the manifold.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2023, 03:05:10 PM »
Sounds like drive shaft - see thread from a few mths ago:  https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=14639.0

GBH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX Auto
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2023, 07:47:42 AM »
Sounds like drive shaft - see thread from a few mths ago:  https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=14639.0

Exactly my thought. Was going to post a link yesterday but couldn't find that thread when I searched so was beginning to think that it must have been a different model I read about.

I guess that the broken shaft doesn't drop down to the ground so a quick look underneath won't show anything (and who wants to go crawling in the road at this time of the year).

t8by

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2023, 08:21:52 AM »
Hi everyone, thanks for your responses. Looks like some very unfortunate timing then, seeing as car is fresh out of the garage anyway! And also hopefully not the most expensive thing to fix either.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2023, 08:52:37 AM »
Welcome to the forum  ;)

Most unlike a Jazz to cause issues. Bad run of luck, however, all cars have things go wrong sometimes.

I was surprised by your post re inlet manifold removal to replace alternator. The manual confirms that is indeed the case. Not come across that with a car before.

seeing as car is fresh out of the garage anyway!
Is that as in just been repaired, or you've just bought it? 

t8by

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2023, 09:07:14 AM »
Hi Westy36,

Just out of the garage as in just had alternator replacement (less than 5 miles driving since). I've owned the car for around 3.5 years now, and so far it's been great! I've taken it from around 60,000 to 100,000 miles and only had to replace brakes, tyres etc so far.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2023, 11:35:20 AM »
Ah, it was just a thought if you'd just bought the car. Some folk might not know a dealer has responsibilities under the CRA.

Your Jazz experience sounds very like mine. About 3 1/2yrs and 45k trouble free miles, aside from brakes, tyres and regular service items. They really are great little motors.

Fingers crossed, you should be set for the next 40k trouble free miles. My Jazz feels as fresh with nearly 129k on the clock as it did when we got it with 82k.

pintofale

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2023, 02:34:52 PM »
Also had the driveshaft snap on my 2010 jazz at about 80k miles.  About £150 total for the garage to fix it.  Seems like it's a Jazz weak point.

Tags:

anything