Author Topic: Local dealer vs best price?  (Read 1798 times)

nomis

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY24 Jazz Advance Sport Platinum White Pearl
Local dealer vs best price?
« on: June 06, 2023, 07:08:52 AM »
Hi,

I'm in the market for a new MY24 Jazz (cash purchase). My local Honda dealer (6 miles away) has shown no enthusiasm for selling me one and has flat refused to offer any form of discount. He's convinced he can sell all of his allocated build slots at full price, and I dare say he can. Some brokers such as AutoeBid have removed the Jazz because there are so few deals to be had.

Carwow came up with 3 offers, one at list, one with £272 off, and one with £692 off. I'm tempted by the latter, but the dealer in question is 120 miles away. Would you say it's worth it even if they will deliver to my door? My main concern is getting fixed any little problems which only show up in the weeks and months after delivery.

I've never bought a new car and still wouldn't had the shortage of supply not distorted the secondhand market so badly. I've traditionally bought a decent nearly new car off the forecourt and run it into the ground. The Jazz is to replace a 15 year old Fiesta which I bought as a pristine 6 month old example from a main dealer at 40% below list. These days you'd be lucky to get more than a few hundred quid off anything under a year old*. Buying new seems to make sense if you can afford to wait for the car to arrive.

* Though of course the recent price hike means that any MY22 Jazz is at least a couple of grand cheaper than the equivalent MY24 version.

Cheers,
Nomis

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
Re: Local dealer vs best price?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 07:10:26 AM »
does the local dealer or any other offers have the 5 year service deal - "worth" £750

nomis

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2023, 07:35:51 AM »
does the local dealer or any other offers have the 5 year service deal - "worth" £750

I tried that with the local dealer but he was having none of it. He also claimed that Honda isn't sweetening finance packages with the 5 year service plan at the moment. I did find one dealer on Autotrader claiming to offer a discount of £699, but it turned out he was selling the car at list and throwing in the 5 year service plan for free (and I think the official price is now £799). That's actually a slightly better offer than Carwow, but the dealer is even further away.

Guinness 2

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Sunlight White
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2023, 07:45:29 AM »
I had a new Jazz EX delivered (about 150 miles away) via carwow. No probs. Firstly, my experience with Honda is there aren't any early problems and secondly, if by any chance there is one, your local dealer is duty bound to help. Do check out any deals on extended Warranty and Servicing.

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2023, 09:20:32 AM »
When I bought mine (not recently admittedly) I found one at another dealer, took down the details and gave it to my local dealer, told them I was going to buy it but gave him a chance to match it if he wanted the business which he did, if you put them on the spot  like that then there's a good chance they'll cave in especially if they've missed their sales target. The way I looked at it, say you're saving £1000 then would you drive 100 miles and back if someone offered you £1000 to do it? If the car's under warranty your local dealer will still sort out any issues, and he will want the servicing business so won't do anything to upset you.

Guinness 2

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Sunlight White
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2023, 09:40:22 AM »
I had an offer of £400 cheaper than my local dealer was offering.  They wouldn't match it. I offered to split the difference, they still didn't bite so they lost the sale.  The local salesman was very apologetic but said his boss just wouldn't move.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2023, 10:20:20 AM »
Not surprised, supply and demand now.
Let's be careful out there !

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2023, 05:09:51 PM »
I bought my 22 EX, thirteen months ago, from a dealer 120 miles from where I live.

£22 one way rail ticket, and they collected me at the station.

I paid less than £21,800 for it, but with the Honda finance of £5000, I achieved a 5 year guarantee, 5 years servicing and breakdown cover. Lots of people on here got the same package, but sadly not recently.

It was in for its first service at my local dealership last week, and I was a little surprised, to receive a mini video to my phone, showing the underside, with all the wheels off, for inspection.
Whilst booking in at reception, they also offered complimentary wash and vac. which I declined. It was due for a camera recall also, but due to some issue, they could not achieve it on the day, so it has been booked in for later this month.

Because they do not now supply service books, everything is recorded on line, but I felt a little uneasy, coming away with no dealer stamp, proving to the next owner in 4 years time, that it had a full history.
But not to worry, they gave me a full check list of all work done.

Have no fear in travelling a couple of hundred miles if need be, to get a decent deal, you WILL love the car!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2023, 06:31:00 PM »
You can download and print the service record if you want.

My MY22 has never been recalled for the camera update, but I'm not concerned as I only 'use' the CMBS that has never kicked in.
Let's be careful out there !

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2023, 10:17:32 PM »
I bought my 22 EX, thirteen months ago, from a dealer 120 miles from where I live.

£22 one way rail ticket, and they collected me at the station.

I paid less than £21,800 for it, but with the Honda finance of £5000, I achieved a 5 year guarantee, 5 years servicing and breakdown cover. Lots of people on here got the same package, but sadly not recently.

It was in for its first service at my local dealership last week, and I was a little surprised, to receive a mini video to my phone, showing the underside, with all the wheels off, for inspection.
Whilst booking in at reception, they also offered complimentary wash and vac. which I declined. It was due for a camera recall also, but due to some issue, they could not achieve it on the day, so it has been booked in for later this month.

Because they do not now supply service books, everything is recorded on line, but I felt a little uneasy, coming away with no dealer stamp, proving to the next owner in 4 years time, that it had a full history.
But not to worry, they gave me a full check list of all work done.

Have no fear in travelling a couple of hundred miles if need be, to get a decent deal, you WILL love the car!
I understand dealers make more money from servicing than they do from selling new cars now so they will be eager for your business wherever you bought the car from.

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2023, 12:37:36 PM »
I'll echo other posters re this question, concerning buying from a non local dealer.  Go for it.  It keeps the local ones honest, and its easy peasy as others have attested to. 

Also if you have an alternative service location that might sway the local one to cut you a little deal.  For instance I have a dealer 10 miles away, and 2 dealers approx 20 miles away, so its been useful to play one off against the other.  Usually ive found my more local dealer wants to retain my business and will offer a sweetener.  Now of course the sweetener will be very small, but you should be able to get something. If you have bought several cars in the past from them, retaining your future business will surely be important to them. 

If everything you try fails, and you pay full price, you will almost certainly love the car, and can be assured it will retain its value extremely well if looked after. 

Cheers!  8)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2023, 05:56:11 PM »
A relative who regularly bought new cars in the  1950's was a rare beast and treated like royalty. Down hill ever since.  A fleet manager buying multiple vehicles might get special treatment, but a private buyer of just one?  These days you might get a good deal,  but its unlikely they will remember you.  So if a distant dealer offers a good deal, I'd go for it  . Unless the  savings are so small its not worth the hassle of extra travel costs for initial handover etc.  There is no reason why   if the sales team loses the sale that a new relationship cannot be formed with the servicing department. They are obliged to sort out warranty type  problems regardless of who supplied the vehicle.  if they dont then stuff em, go elsewhere where your custom is valued.

My nearest Honda dealer is about 11 miles away  but i actually bought from one 20+ miles away, who had what I wanted in stock for  immediate delivery.  I get it serviced  by the supplying dealer as 20 miles distance is not much more inconvenient that 11  miles distance.  All things being equal my nearest Toyota dealership is walkable but this wasn't enough to tip the balance. I chose Jazz not Yaris.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

nomis

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2023, 07:04:59 PM »
Thanks for all the advice and reassurance. The local dealer wasn't interested in doing a deal to get the business. Last week he claimed he had only two build slots left from his current allocation, and this week only one. He was convinced he could sell that at full price, just not to me :D I called the next closest dealer who pretty much told the same story. To be fair, I live in a fairly affluent area so they might both be right. I took the plunge and ordered an Advance Sport from the distant dealer saving £692 off list, and he even threw in free trailer delivery (120 miles). I should have it mid-September. Happy days!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 10:14:10 PM by nomis »

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 jazz Hybrid EX Chrystal Red
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2023, 12:16:54 PM »
Good result I think .

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021