Author Topic: Jerking cruising at low speed and throttle.  (Read 1271 times)

buccy

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz
Jerking cruising at low speed and throttle.
« on: August 10, 2022, 03:30:38 PM »
I am in desperate need of some help.  My wife's 05 Honda Jazz CVT has developed a bit of a weird issue that I can't get to the bottom of.  When driving around at low speed 20 - 40 mph (between 1000 - 2500 rpm) and cruising with light throttle the car will on occasion jerk/buck.  Giving it a bit of extra gas and it goes away.  This lead me to believe initially that it could be an issue with a coil pack.  So I unplugged one of the rear coils and the behaviour goes away.  So I swapped out all the rear coil packs with new items and plugged everything back in but the problem is still there.  Again if I unplug any of the rear coils it stops happening.  Below are the things I have already done to try and sort:

• 1. As above changed all 4 rear coil packs
  • 2. Changed all 8 spark plugs with new NGK plugs.
  • 3. Drained and refilled the CVT with new Honda Fluid and added a dose of Xado EX120
  • 4. Took off and cleaned the EGR valve (wasn't too bad) is it worth taking the manifold off and cleaning this out as well?
  • 5. Hooked it up to ELM327 the only stored code was for the  coil packs which I unplugged

So before I throw away more money at it does anybody have any idea what I should look at?  Has anybody come across this before?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 03:41:16 PM by buccy »

E27006

• Approved Member
Re: Jerking cruising at low speed and throttle.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 06:27:39 PM »
This problem has all the hallmarks of a defective EGR.
Cleaning out the EGR is not likely  to cure the fault, the fault on the EGR is a defective sensor, a potentiometer which is read by the ECU to determine the position of the EGR valve  as position: fully open, fully closed or a "in-between".  The faulty potentiometer creates an erratic or erroneous signal which "confuses the ECU" and leads to the hesitancy or jerkiness of throttle or engine response.

buccy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 05:19:29 PM »
Would disconnecting the EGR valve connection and driving the car be a way to test if it is at fault?

TheAussieJazzMan

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2005, Auto, 1.5l
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 12:25:53 AM »
Hello mate,

These symptoms sound a lot like my Honda Jazz 2005 CVT. It began with the jerking and has now shifted to engine malfunction light and at times a flashing "D" when attempting to shift gear. It can however drive in reverse without issues.

I've been exploring P0715 (CVT Drive Pulley Speed Sensor), P0717 (Transmission) and P0718 (Pull Assembly) error codes.

You sound more savvy then me with the vehicle. Would love to hear how you get on with the above error codes.

Wiseman529

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Sport SE '07
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 06:43:35 PM »
I had the same issue on my Jazz Sport SE 1.4 with manual gearbox. I couldnt cruise in the rpm range you specified because the car would buck/jerk, making it awkward to drive in traffic. I bought a Foxwell diagnostic computer with the Honda package and reset the electronic throttle controller module. The problem has gone and hasn't returned.

Tags:

anything