Author Topic: Fixed or Variable Servicing?  (Read 142875 times)

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
Re: Fixed or Variable Servicing?
« Reply #105 on: December 26, 2011, 08:00:47 PM »
All the SvRS complaints are putting me off buying a used 2009/2010 Jazz. Even Honda’s Approved Used Car Service Plan puts me off. It says ‘If your vehicle is equipped with the SvRS, we can't include additional interim A services for oil and filter changes in the plan.’

What that means is that they'll do services as the SvRS calls for them, but they won't do extra oil & filter changes inbetween services.    These extra oil changes are common on Audi, BMW, Mercedes etc which will, depending on type of use, go to 20K miles between services so some owners like to get an inbetween oil & filter change.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #106 on: December 26, 2011, 11:45:25 PM »
i got my first service in march, my indicator was never switched on and i want to be on the 12 month/12500 service plan. I hope I dont encounter any problems when I visit the dealer and tell them what i want.

guest2662

« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2011, 09:56:22 AM »
i asked my dealer to turn it of, last week no problem, now on twelve month interval servicing.

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2012, 10:47:01 AM »
This ones a new one for me.....

Pretty sure I'm on the yearly service schedule/reminder- which is around March time.

Anyways, between xmas and NY, the service indicator showed that a service was due and then started counting - (negative) miles since service was due. The computer had the sign "AB7" and it would come on every time I turned the engine.

Got a bit sick of it coming on so called my local honda dealer who said they will just reset it so popped down to see them and it was literally a 2 min job for them to do this.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #109 on: January 30, 2012, 05:37:17 PM »
just booked my service for march and the dealer knew all about people wanting to go to the 12 month 12,500 service after having their reminder switched off

guest1521

« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2012, 12:51:26 PM »
If an independent garage services, can they reset the variable service computer to 'zero'? Or is it only the Honda dealer who has the 'tool' to do that at each service?

When warranty ends I'll be very inclined to take my GE Jazz away from expensive dealer servicing, take it to an independent garage for servicing... and perhaps some DIY.

My variable service 'thingy' has been OK (luckily) but if I move away from the Honda dealer I presume I'll have to get it disabled which I would be reluctant to do. Nonetheless I'd get it disabled rather than suffer OTT dealer servicing costs.

Anyone know the 'ins and outs' of this and know for sure if a typical indie can 'zero' it at each service?

guest2898

« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2012, 02:15:20 PM »
Before the warranty ends and when the car is next in, just ask them to switch the variable service system off.. i know people who have asked and they have done it with no problem, just say to them that you wish to go onto yearly/mileage service schedule as laid out in the manual.. mine is turned off on my 59 plate jazz, i have already started using my local garage for servicing using genuine honda parts which keeps the warranty intact, it cost me £89 for a oil (fully synthetic) oil filter, washer, and air filter service.. and they also did me a brand new bridgestone tyre for £66 balanced and fitted, so only £155 for a full years ownership of the jazz.. im a happy man! incidently, my neighbour has just bought a brand new jazz 1.4 EX-L and there is no variable service computer turned on in it... and he never asked for it to be turned off... maybe honda are going back to mileage/time related servicing again, which suits these engines fine in my opinion...  ;D

guest774

« Reply #112 on: May 14, 2012, 07:17:46 PM »
I've just bought an 11 month old ES CVT, 1600miles with a 3/4year service package.
I need to decide whether to use fixed or variable BEFORE I have the first service this month.
Apparently if i start with variable I can't switch to fixed with the free servicing.
I  imagine the car will do 6000-8000 miles annually, any advice/experience would be much appreciated.

caseyjones

« Reply #113 on: May 14, 2012, 10:00:13 PM »
My 2010 EX had already been set to fixed before I bought it, so I don't have any direct personal experience of this issue, but from what I've read on here and elsewhere, I reckon the variable servicing system is a bit of a gimmick and doesn't work very well. A lot of people report that oil and filter changes are being demanded ridiculously frequently by the computer. I believe some Honda dealers have been known to admit that it was designed to operate rather on the pessimistic side. (By the way, don't forget that it's only the oil and filter change interval that is variable - everything else is done on a fixed time or mileage basis, regardless of what system you adopt.) So, it's up to you, but I think the general consensus will be to stick to the tried and tested fixed interval routine.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 09:16:43 AM by caseyjones »

guest516

« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2012, 09:01:33 AM »
I'm running an 09 EX i-shift & I am happy with having services as indicated by the computer
After all I've 5 years servicing free - well it did cost around £500 on the deal in February 09
I've been well looked after by my local Honda team & love the i-shift. Yes I think its very good much against 'popular' opinion. ;D
mpg works out as an average week in week out 46mpg from short 1-2 mile shopping, 25 mile journey in 40 mins across the Trough of Bowland a hilly route, 30 mile M way to Manchester, mixed roads to Leeds.
All enjoyable & at a good pace.
Has taken us on yearly 3000 mile trips to France & back loaded (as only a Jazz can be 8) 8)
Satisfied !! yes you could say that !
Changed from original Dunlops at 25k to Continentals They really hang on when cornering. ::)
 Enjoy your Jazz I certainly do
Regards Oui oui or Noddy

eljuero

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 Comfort
« Reply #115 on: May 15, 2012, 02:24:08 PM »
My Jazz 2009 is set to variable servicing and it works ok. The mileage I get between services is almost the same everytime, around 17k km.  Not 20k km though.
100+1 HP

guest774

« Reply #116 on: May 15, 2012, 10:14:29 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
I'd been told by someone at the Honda garage that originally supplied the car that it was set up for variable.
The service preference form I have states that the first owner requested fixed (annual).
As he has passed away I can't verify this.
Also I can't scroll through to find the service countdown/due display so I assume it has been disabled?

caseyjones

« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2012, 11:24:29 PM »
If the service preference form says fixed and you can't find any countdown on the display, it must have been set to fixed, which rather resolves the issue, as once disabled, the variable system cannot be reinstated.

I had exactly the same experience when I bought my second-hand EX. I puzzled for ages why I couldn't get the display to show me what I was expecting to see, until I found the preference form and saw that the original owner had chosen the fixed-interval system.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2012, 12:28:56 PM »
I suggest that with an annual mileage of 6k to 8k miles, fixed annual servicing will be ideal.

jamesdean

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 i-VTEC ES i-SHIFT
« Reply #119 on: May 18, 2012, 07:32:59 PM »
I change Oil + filter at a little over 5k miles.  The literature suggests changing the plugs at 62.5k miles I noticed a slight meander in tick-over revs and changed mine at C43k miles, tick-over now perfect.  My milage is very similar to the respondant with the EX i-Shift. Mine is '09 ES i-Shift with now 53k up.  The i-Shift is really great, warm-up carefully and keep the Mitchellin H's at precise pressure for clean changes, allowing me to down-shift (often twice ) into corners or down hills.
Looking forward to the next three years.
Cheers,  JD

Tags: