Author Topic: Looking to get a MK3 Jazz - Sport or EX?  (Read 4981 times)

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
Looking to get a MK3 Jazz - Sport or EX?
« on: June 04, 2019, 11:54:59 PM »
We've been toying with the idea of replacing our 14 year old 1.4 GD Sport with a used MK3 Jazz but we are a bit undecided on which one to get as there are things we want from both the Sport and the EX and we also have some questions I hope some of you who have these cars can help us answer.

We don't do much mileage with the car as it is mostly used for the school run and grocery shopping so most of the mileage is over short journeys - probably less than 5k miles a year.

My wife and I love the look of the new Sport and quite keen on the idea of having a bit more power (although not essential). However, we're not sure if it would mean paying a lot more in fuel costs and insurance over the EX. This is something I would like to get your opinions on - as to whether you really notice the difference in fuel consumption between the two engines. Well, I suppose the more meaningful comparison might be the difference in fuel consumption between our current GD and the GK Sport?

The other thing that we really would like to have are LED headlights - which I have read conflicting information on, with some saying that it's only available on the EX and not the Sport while other sources say it is standard on both.

One idea I had, to get the best of both worlds, was to go with the EX and then change the bumpers and side skirts to make it look like the Sport - not sure how easy this is though. Has anyone done this before?

I'm still doing my homework on the GK, so it would be great to get some advice from current owners on how they feel about the GK and if there are any particular faults to look out for.

Many thanks  :D

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
Re: Looking to get a MK3 Jazz - Sport or EX?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 07:47:41 AM »
Have you looked at Honest John's website. I think the answers to your questions are there.

This https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/honda/jazz-2014/history/ says both EX & Sport have LED headlights.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 09:49:45 AM »
I have an EX and the only things that the sport hasn’t got are
climate control
Reversing camera
Keyless entry and start

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 12:12:25 PM »
Drive both versions then choose which you prefer, sell you old Jazz privately or through we buy any... then bargain hard for the new Jazz I would consider almost new from Motorpoint or carwow etc.
As for the conversion avoid that option, the vehicle would be fine for you but would be regarded a possible accident repair jobby when you sell.
There are plenty of clean Jazz mk3 out there - but several cat S and others to avoid
If paying over £3k used the always go for full HPI check

SuperCNJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 02:08:55 PM »
Have you looked at Honest John's website. I think the answers to your questions are there.

This https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/honda/jazz-2014/history/ says both EX & Sport have LED headlights.

Thanks for this, I hadn't read this one before and yes, it does answer some of my questions but I would really like to know if the Sport is a lot more thirsty than the EX in the real world. I guess if the fuel consumption of the GK Sport is similar to our current 1.4 GD Sport then it probably wouldn't matter so much as we wouldn't notice any difference.

But I understand that the GK Sport is of a much higher insurance group compared to the other models, though I'm not sure if that equates to a much higher premium. Has anyone had quotes for both models before?

SuperCNJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 02:14:04 PM »
Drive both versions then choose which you prefer, sell you old Jazz privately or through we buy any... then bargain hard for the new Jazz I would consider almost new from Motorpoint or carwow etc.
As for the conversion avoid that option, the vehicle would be fine for you but would be regarded a possible accident repair jobby when you sell.
There are plenty of clean Jazz mk3 out there - but several cat S and others to avoid
If paying over £3k used the always go for full HPI check

Thanks for your advice. I think we will test drive at least one of these but we can't really get a feel for fuel consumption on the test drive. So I was hoping owners of these models could feedback their thoughts on this - particularly if they have owned a GD 1.4 Jazz before. That would be really helpful.

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
  • HR-V eHEV delivered February 2022
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 02:39:46 PM »
I have owned the 1.4(GE),1.3 and now the 1.5, all CVT.  I have found all to return between 40 and 42 mpg. However the 1.3 does have the potential to give a much better mpg if driven with restraint due to the Atkinson Cycle feature.

I did notice from the Honest John item quoted earlier that the Sport appears to have been discontinued after only 15months on the market. I am now hoping that the new hybrid jazz will offer a similar performance to my Sport, otherwise I may have to look at something else when the time to change comes.

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 02:46:27 PM »
My 1.3 cvt is averaging between 48 to 50 mpg according to the computer on a 50 50 motorway and town commute
I previously had a 1.3 manual that used to claim 54 mpg
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 02:53:20 PM by Ralph »

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 03:26:55 PM »
You can browse real world mpg data on fuelly.com. Roughly it looks like the Mk3 sport is similar to a  Mk1 and the EX is better.

Got a feeling Honest John site may have some real world data too. Good luck.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

rogbro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 04:39:49 PM »
We, at local Honda dealers, almost signed to buy a new 1.5 "Sport" recently,  checked on availability of
glass roof ala "EX",     Informed Honda has stopped them. No sunshine roof either !!!
Walked away.  Keep our current  "EX" thanks, 63 plate, only 8,854 miles.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2019, 05:14:18 PM »
For 5000 miles a year any increase in fuel consumption is going to cost well under £100 a year, I would think.   The 1.3 GK Jazz is definitely more economical than the 1.4 GD, so the chances are you won't notice the difference even with the sport unless you hammer it.  Insurance may be a more important issue to check, especially if you live in a high risk area.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2019, 05:17:12 PM »
I did notice from the Honest John item quoted earlier that the Sport appears to have been discontinued after only 15months on the market.
Honda are still offering it on their site, unless they are only selling what they have in stock. Can you link to the Honest John info?

Okay. Found it.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 05:18:51 PM by Jocko »

guest4871

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2019, 05:25:10 PM »
Ex Honest John:

"May 2019
Reader report when attempting to order a Honda Jazz Sport that the Jazz Sport has been discontinued. Confirmed by Honda that Jazz Sport discontinued due to next gen Jazz with hybrid drivetrain making debut late 2019. Still "a few" Jazz 1.5iVTEC Sports in UK stock."

Well that was an 12 month wonder.

It will have great rarity value.

SuperCNJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2019, 08:59:47 PM »
I have owned the 1.4(GE),1.3 and now the 1.5, all CVT.  I have found all to return between 40 and 42 mpg. However the 1.3 does have the potential to give a much better mpg if driven with restraint due to the Atkinson Cycle feature.

I did notice from the Honest John item quoted earlier that the Sport appears to have been discontinued after only 15months on the market. I am now hoping that the new hybrid jazz will offer a similar performance to my Sport, otherwise I may have to look at something else when the time to change comes.

Thanks, did you notice a significant change in fuel consumption going to the 1.5 Sport from either of your previous cars?

SuperCNJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2019, 09:01:48 PM »
My 1.3 cvt is averaging between 48 to 50 mpg according to the computer on a 50 50 motorway and town commute
I previously had a 1.3 manual that used to claim 54 mpg

Isn’t the CVT supposed to be nore frugal?

We’re looking to get a manual though.

Tags:

anything