Author Topic: Clarkson attacks the Insight  (Read 6688 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Clarkson attacks the Insight
« on: May 17, 2009, 09:07:25 PM »
Reasoned analysis or just Clarkson being Clarkson?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article6294116.ece

guest238

Re: Clarkson attacks the Insight
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 07:12:02 PM »
Even if what he says is 100% true, Clarkson only says what he does to provoke reaction. That's Clarkson all over.

Then there are those who buy in to what he says  :D

guest174

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 05:54:32 PM »
I think it is wrong to compare a CVT to a manual transmission car. They feel totally diffrent to drive. I own a 2007 Jazz with CVT, and I just love the car. I also love the smooth feeling when you are accelerating. No judder, no twitching or jerking, no trowing around in the seat (if I'm taking a corner that is...), but it is total smoothness.

I have had it for two years now and I'm still impressed every time I get into the car and start driving. The easiest way to explain it is like driving in the first gear all the time. Without the engine revving to high.

If you always like to have a quick acceleration and feel the pressure against the seat and hear the tires screeming, then the CVT is not for you.
For normal driving I just like to drive to a place and pay attention to the surroundings while driving and not mess around with the stick and clutch pedal :)

But if you want the CVT can accelerate quick too, just that the engine is revving a bit high when it downshifts.

And a bonus with CVT is that you have many modes to the transmission; full automatic, automatic with 7 steps, manually with 7 steps, sport mode (quicker acceleration), low gear for steep hill start.
In manual mode you use the F1-like handles one each side of the steeringwheel to step up or down between 7 steps.
The manual mode is good for engine braking down hill. It is the only time I use it.

I have tried measure the fuel usage with diffrent speeds and find the full automatic to be the best for low fuel usage.

But back to the Insigth; I will agree about the stiff suspension. I think they saved some money to many places on the Honda Insight. It feels more "plastic" on the inside than the Jazz, even if a Jazz is a cheap car in comparison

guest238

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 07:15:13 PM »
/\ Exactly.

I've read several comparisons of the Insight with Golf/Focus-size diesels and very few of them, including the test on 5th Gear on the TV, failed to point out the significance of the Insight's CVT. ::)

guest229

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 06:51:33 AM »

That's Clarkson for you, always was an idiot all ways will be. Shows a complete lack of understanding of what CVT is all about.

guest221

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 07:22:39 PM »
The guy's a bell-end.

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 09:42:12 PM »
Oh well, at least Clarkson (generally) likes Honda, his logic being that it was "founded by an engineer with a passion", and, "not by a corporation who started car producation on government orders to get the locals off the ox and cart [like other Far Eastern car makers]."

csp

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Average 63 mpg
  • My Honda: Platinum White Jazz e:HEV SR 2020
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 12:13:30 PM »
I would not take any notice of anything Clarkson says, I will no longer watch or read anything with his name on it.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 06:00:03 PM »
/\ Exactly.

I've read several comparisons of the Insight with Golf/Focus-size diesels and very few of them, including the test on 5th Gear on the TV, failed to point out the significance of the Insight's CVT. ::)

You cannot make a fair comparison between diesel fuelled and petrol fuelled cars on an mpg  and efficiency basis,  a gallon in volume of diesel contains a lot more energy than  a gallon of petrol (about 25% more) also the yield from the crude oil is not the same, you get less diesel fuel from the refinery process.

The price differential at the filling station does not acknowledge these issues, I suppose the minimal difference in price is a peon to all those haulage firms who barricade the pumps when the going gets tough.

guest1010

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 08:54:13 PM »
I think he is probably right. Spend the money on developing Hydrogen power units and forget electricity.

Marnie

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 02:22:20 PM »
You may be interested in this article about producing hydrogen for use in vehicles, just like electricity it may well produce no emissions at the tailpipe, but producing the electricity or hydrogen is very inefficient, energy hungry and polluting.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/07/030718084311.htm
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything