Author Topic: Honda Insight Now at Dealers  (Read 3012 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Honda Insight Now at Dealers
« on: March 29, 2009, 12:50:53 PM »
Honda dealers are now offering test drives on the new Honda Insight.

:)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 04:44:23 PM by RichardA »

guest745

Re: Honda Insight Now at Dealers
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 10:51:20 PM »
Took a brief look at the Insight today whilst passing (the boss might need to new car anyway due to a THIRD failing fuel pump on a Vectra - time to cut our losses at £1500 a time).

Initial impressions were quite good - the big question for people put off by the iShift is whether its worth paying loads more to get a CVT. That's down to individual opinion.

You also get the old style pull out load cover we all miss. But the car has some small issues - nothings ever perfect. The dash plastics are of a similar quality to the Jazz so look a bit cheap. Overall the quality seems Ok though. And the steering wheel seems a bit low - when entering the car. The seat must have been set at its highest (but ok for me) and the wheel was also at its highest. This mean't leg room was tight'ish getting in. The space opened up when dropping the seat, but I really preferred it up (reminded me of my old Merc 190E - but there the wheel is the size of a large multi lane roundabout).

The other disappointment was that to get the gear shift paddles you need the ES mid level which is another thousand quid (17 with paint). You do get an extra thousand of nice kit, but in real terms the SE is fine if you aren't used to making use of the paddles.

Just moving back to iShift - we don't feel its as good at engine braking as the CVT - something we use going downhill into town. So the Insight has another plus point.

The car is in a different market sector to the Jazz, but if you want CVT, like plenty of toys and don't mind spending about 50% more to get that CVT - its a nice car. The top model will sell least - paying lots for a fancy 'TomTom' built in.

If I get a test drive soon if my boss decides to bite the bullet I might add more - but there are a couple of other 'tax savers' out there all of which will save him about £1000 income tax over the current Vectra. Its down to practicality which will give the winner.

Also - doing a used search at Honda - there is one of the old original Insight's listed at present - always top money (six grand at eight years old) - it won't be around for long - a real cult classic - if lacking in seats and the CVT.

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Re: Honda Insight Now at Dealers
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 04:52:09 PM »
I had a look at the Insight today. It looks much smaller then you'd expect from the photos and overall not bad looking - the front is actually quite distinctive. Pity the interior isn't the Insight's strongest point. The plastics aren't brilliant and the design of the radio looks messy, but it feels well put together.

Tags: