Author Topic: Anyone got a Hybrid?  (Read 44013 times)

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Re: Anyone got a Hybrid?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 08:01:54 AM »
I have now reached 2500 miles, the mpg is showing 47.8 but bear in mind I spend quite a bit of time reversing, (I'm a driving instructor) and a lot of the time with a non-aerodynamic roof sign on the roof.

At weekends with the roofsign off, its quite easy to get the advised 60mpg, unless the right foot gets a bit heavy  :D.

7 weeks in and 2500 miles, full sized spare purchased and sitting in a tyre bag in the boot, I'm still a happy chappy.

Ozzie  8)

guest2873

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 01:44:20 PM »
Hi

We've had a Hybrid HS since the end of August and have now covered 3500 miles.  The overall consumption during that time has been 60.5mpg and the car has been in Eco mode 99% of the time.  Since 60% of the mileage is round town 20% motorway and 20% on A roads I've been very pleased.  It would seem the best economy is achieved when driving below 60mph, on a good run using  A roads we've had 68mpg.

We considered the 1.4EX CVT but felt the Hybrid was a smoother drive and so far we haven't been disappointed.  Although we brought the car as a second car for town use we've used it on several longer journeys and have been impressed with how quiet and comfortable it's been. 

We dealt with Hughes at Shrewsbury who I have to say were great to deal with, we were given plenty of time to test drive both cars and treated very well.  We would be pleased to recommend them.

guest1583

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 09:29:41 AM »
Hi
is Jazz hybrid genrally CVT or it has got manual as well..
just for the info..

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 02:32:53 PM »
Hi
is Jazz hybrid genrally CVT or it has got manual as well..
just for the info..
Only available with CVT gearbox, however the Honda CR-Z is a hybrid with a manual box.

Oz

guest2905

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 07:54:49 PM »
Hi,

I just picked up my Hybrid last week.

Loving it at the moment.

Geoffers

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 10:12:08 PM »
Hi,

I just picked up my Hybrid last week.

Loving it at the moment.

Welcome JP825! ;D ;D ;D

guest2981

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 09:52:51 AM »
Hello,

Yes I got mine on Dec 7 2011.  Brand new.  I live in France so I have a left-hand drive version.  They seem to be a bit cheaper here than in UK.  There is a government grant of €2000 toward buying eco cars. 

I have done 750 Km so far and the economy seems to work out at about 60 MPG so far but I am still learning.  I could really do with an English version of the owners manual to help with some of the language problems.  So if anyone knows where I can get one I would be pleased. 

So far I am very happy with the car and will post a few updates if anyone is interested.  I am also interested in other peoples views.

Dave

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2011, 11:39:47 AM »
Any UK Honda Dealer should be able to post out a Handbook - give one a call

guest2872

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 05:31:25 PM »
Yes! We have finally taken delivery of an HS in storm silver. Here are some initial thoughts (sorry for the length!):

Fuel economy:
After 600 miles motoring the computer is holding a steady overall average of 52.3 to 53.4 mpg. That's mostly for a three-times-daily commute of 7 miles each way, hence a daily mileage of approx. 40 miles, of which more than half is in-town rush hour driving.

Also did a 250-mile round trip almost completely by motorway last week, for which the computer recorded 60+ mpg each way. Driving style was not particularly light-footed, keeping a steady 60 to 70 mph max. and using the cruise control most of the way there and back.

So I'd say that's very good for starters, and the consensus is that it should improve as the engine runs in. If it doesn't, I'd still be very happy.

Comfort and handling:
On good roads and motorways, I find it's a comfortable little car. But on average to poor surfaces it can get a bit jittery. On poorly maintained roads it can jostle quite a bit. Thankfully, our local roads aren't too bad in general. I'm no tyre expert, but I wonder if the OEM low-friction tyres are a bit on the hard side compared to standard rubber?

It corners very well, and although I haven't pushed it hard, it doesn't seem to leave you lacking in confidence when pressing on a bit down bendy country lanes. The steering is extremely light, and whether you like that or not will be personal: I prefer, and am used to, much heavier steering, though I get on fine with the Jazz.

But here's something I don't like: whilst the steering does quite well what it's supposed to do when cornering, it lacks stability in the straight-ahead position, and there is a vagueness which requires constant correction to maintain a straight line and counter a seemingly natural tendency of the car to wander. This is exaggerated in a strong wind (and we've had a few of those lately) to the point where it can be unnerving, requiring a considerable degree of concentration to stay straight. I found it particularly tiring on a long motorway journey on a dark, rainy and windy night, though it's less of an issue for shorter commutes. The previous generation Jazz suffered badly in this respect, a fact openly acknowledged by Honda who claim to have gone to some lengths to improve this aspect of the Jazz's handling in the current model; but I think they should have gone further with this, as it's the only thing that really spoils driver enjoyment.

In fact, a similar characteristic is increasingly being found in new cars, reportedly as a result of the move away from hydraulic power steering towards electrically-assisted steering which is said to perform less well by comparison; perhaps this is a new challenge for the manufacturers.

Obviously one of the really great things about this little car is that it's also very big. It is the veritable Tardis and, for such a small car on the outside, provides the most amazing ambience inside. A family of four on a long journey would never feel the slightest claustrophobic; indeed, our only long journey to date involved five of us, a boot full of luggage and oddments hidden away inside and under the seats, and not for one moment did any of us feel the slightest bit squashed. You'd need a Golf to get close to this sense of ambience, but the VW is a fair bit larger on the outside. The Jazz really is quite amazing in this respect, even if it does lose a little boot space to the non-hybrid versions due to the battery.

My family are all used to leather seats, but have made no complaints about the fabric seats in the Jazz thus far except to note that they're a bit furry and prone to catching lots of fluff (so avoid wearing a mohair jumper or similar!). Would have paid for leather given the option, but to get leather in the hybrid you also have to have the glass roof and I hate those things (potential safety risk, eats headroom, expensive to replace if chipped or cracked - I just don't like 'em).

Gripes and other observations:
No real complaints so far, other than the vague steering.

The CVT gearbox can grab sharply if you try to take off too quickly from a standing start after the auto-stop has cut in: if you're in a hurry, I find it's best to accelerate away gently from standstill at first and then give it the gas as soon as the gearbox has engaged.

A push-start button (rather than the traditional key) would have seemed more in keeping with the high-tec hybrid approach.

The constantly illuminated dashboard display takes you by surprise at first, though I find this soon grows on you.

A very minor gripe is that the wing mirrors can only be folded in or out with the ignition switched on, so if you switch off and remove the key then realise you forgot to fold in the mirrors, you have to re-insert the key and switch on again. Also it would be nice to have the exterior mirrors unfold automatically as you pull away, but I'm being picky here.

The door skins seem surprisingly thin and bendy, particularly along the bottom of each window where you'd normally expect much greater rigidity. But I guess you can't have economy without shaving down the weight at every opportunity. I just hope the windows don't leak in the rain.

The front passenger windscreen wiper is extraordinarily small...

... and the interior lights are a little gloomy!

But so far that's about it.

Cost, and possible alternatives:
The Jazz hybrid is perhaps expensive if all you're after is economy, and as most of the media reviews point out, you can buy many similar-sized diesel cars from the competition that are just as economical, if not more so, for a lot less money. But will they suffice in practice and in terms of reliability?

Well, if your daily commute involves shorter distances and frequent cold starts, diesel may not be the ideal option for two key reasons: first, the economies of a diesel are only achieved on a hot engine, not on frequent short journeys; and second, those same frequent short journeys can actually destroy the DPF if you have one, or require at least one good long blast a week to regenerate it, otherwise it's curtains and a considerably large bill to have it replaced. Also, if you're particularly looking for an automatic transmission, as my wife was, there's not much else to choose from at the price, and certainly nothing that comes close in terms of space and utility.

So far as the alternatives go, we spent months looking at every other make and model within £10k of the price of a Jazz hybrid. You'd think we'd have been spoilt for choice, but only one competitor came very close to making our final decision a difficult one: the much more expensive Qashqai 1.6 cvt, which has better space, comfort and handling, and a superb CVT transmission, though it's much less good on fuel economy and emissions. Then we read the reliability reports and owners' reviews. Enough said. The Jazz speaks for itself in terms of reliability, and for this reason, not to mention the fuel economy advantage, we were happy not to spend the extra £3.5k on a Qashqai.

So are we pleased with our purchase? I should say so. It will certainly meet our immediate needs, and if it really does turn out to be as reliable as the Jazz has been for so many years, then it will have been worth every penny, regardless of the niggles.

P.S  A note on running costs:
The impressive fuel economy and emissions (zero road tax in year 1, £10 thereafter) are one thing, but Honda's current deal offering the carrot of 4 years free servicing + 4 years interest free finance + 4 years free European roadside assistance cover makes the first 3 to 4 years' ownership look immensely competitive. I haven't seen such a generous package elsewhere, and for anyone doing their sums on a Honda right now, this is well worth taking into account.

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 07:54:05 AM »
Blimey thats a comprehensive, and well written review  :D

Regarding the steering, I find that its very light and the "turn ratio" seems quite small, when you turn the steering wheel, the road wheels don't seem to steer much. My learners that have driven other cars seem to constantly need to steer more to get the car round corners, but learners with no previous experience know no different. They soon get used to it, but initially takes them by surprise.

I too would have liked the option of leather as an add-on extra, but didn't fancy the extra £2000 price tag of the HX, and I agree about the door mirrors, although I like the ability to move them manually as my garage is a bit tight, so I like to close the mirrors for the final manoeuvre.

guest2872

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 03:06:35 PM »
Blimey thats a comprehensive, and well written review  :D

Hey, thanks Ozzie!
Ooer, I just looked at it again -- it is a bit long isn't it  ??? !

Hopefully it might be helpful to some, and might also attract some more activity on here.

It's just my 2 cents of course, and although I did try to push my wife into something a little bigger, we both had to agree that, for her daily needs, the Jazz HS was by far the most cost-effective option.

Like you, I have to disagree with those commentators that feel the extra premium isn't worth paying. It is the cheapest hybrid available after all.

We did try the petrol (non-hybrid) CVT model before we drove the hybrid but we walked away because of the lacklustre performance. It was only after the dealership called me later on and asked if we might like to drive the hybrid to make a comparison that we even thought to go down this route. Until then, we'd ignored hybrids because of the complexity and relatively unknown quantity (to us, anyway). But with little to lose we tried the HS and the difference in performance between the hybrid and non-hybrid CVT models is quite significant due to the extra torque provided by the battery.

And if you drop the hybrid into 'S' position, it actually seems to have the potential for a bit of fun (though we'll save finding out just how much fun that might be until it's well run in.  ;D )

I notice that you mentioned earlier (6 June 11) that a sales source claimed a 5-year warranty on their batteries; it's now even better than this -- if you look under the Hybrid FAQs on Honda's website, they now say that:

"because the technology of Honda's IMA battery and motor is reliable and proven, they are both backed up by an 8-year warranty."

We shouldn't worry a bit, I think!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 04:19:49 PM »
I agree that the extra torque provided by the electric motor gives an improved user experience. I am thinking that this is half of the benefit since the increase in MPG isn't as big as I hoped to see. I also find the CVT to be exceptionally smooth but haven't driven a non-hybrid CVT Jazz.

However, I do have several grumbles with the hybrid system on my Jazz (registered March 2011:

(i) I've never seen the battery charge level drop below half;
(ii) But on long hill climbs I've seen the IMA mode switch from assist to charge while still going up the hill;
(iii) The trip computer bar display showing the past 3 trips MPG seems to have a limit of 62MPG.

the Honda agent did offer to look at these problems but I only want to go round if I know that the newer Hybrids behave different. What do you folk see on your cars?

As for the 8 year warranty on the IMA, I think that is what it used to be, and then Honda reduced it. However, if the website still says 8 years then we we need to keep the evidence. I don't think the £0 road tax is quite right either and doubt if the DVLA will accept us paying £0 because that is what's on the Honda UK website.

John
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 05:35:30 PM »
Road tax is £0 in the first year £10 after that.

As a driving instructor I am never going to achieve top mpg on lessons, but I am yaking the car on a bit of a run at the weekend so I will try to remember to zero everything to check mpg, and see if I can get 62mpg or over.

Ozzie

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 07:00:09 PM »
Regarding the MPG limit, this is what I have seen on my computer display. [It may be more than coincidence that 62 miles is equivalent to 100km - I think the display needs re-scaling, which should be simple to program.]

That was when I was touring Scotland in August with fairly long economical runs.

John
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 10:13:19 PM »
If you flick through to average mpg what does that show 62mpg or over?

Tags: