Author Topic: Honda CR-Z Type R to get turbocharged engine  (Read 5155 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Honda CR-Z Type R to get turbocharged engine
« on: December 11, 2010, 11:49:27 AM »
Honda is planning a CR-Z Type R for late 2011 using a version of the new turbo-charged engine family currently under development. The new generation of i-VTEC downsized turbocharged petrol engines follows the recent trend in the industry by offering the performance of a 2.0-litre engine with the economy and emissions of a 1.6-litre engine. Two versions are planned with 160bhp and 200bhp, with the latter said to provide a successor to the Civic Type R, recently discontinued from Europe due to emission regulations.

The new engine will answer criticisms of the CR-Z coupe's limited appeal of the current 112bhp 1.5-litre petrol engine and 14bhp electric motor combination. It also signals a U-turn by Honda who have always seen turbocharging as crude and have remained stanch supporters of naturally aspirated engines over the years.

The last time Honda reveled a hot CR-Z was the CR-Z Hybrid R concept at the Las Vegas SEMA tuning show, but this was powered by a turbocharged version of the current 1.5-litre engine.

The new engine is also planned for the Jazz, Civic and Accord. Whilst 200bhp maybe too much ask for the Jazz  ;), the 160bhp version would go down a treat!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 08:11:11 PM by RichardA »

guest436

Re: Honda CR-Z Type R to get turbocharged engine
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 09:43:28 PM »
It was inevitable that Honda would perform a U-turn over their policy towards turbo'd engines. I think until manufacturers start radically tackling weight to reduce fuel consumption & CO2 emissions, the naturally aspirated petrol engine has reached a limit for performance orientated or Focus/Civic-sized models upwards.

As for a 160bhp turbo Jazz - or even a 120bhp version as per the new Audi A1 1.4 TFSi supermini? Go for it Honda, but do bring it here!

Tags:

anything