Author Topic: 2012 Jazz suddeny loses power and Yellow light comes on...  (Read 6336 times)

Shantijoe

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz ES 2012
Re: 2012 Jazz suddeny loses power and Yellow light comes on...
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2022, 04:28:30 PM »
Hiya

thanks again. I have the car back having paid £200 for the 'diagnosis', they are convinced it is a ECU fault but will only replace it with a new one at £1200 + Vat + coding etc-- way beyond  repairs on my pension status!

I'm in N London and want to return to Ilkley in Yorkshire. It is a long way to go on 3 cylinders...

I'm looking into ECU online repairs at £250 but would need to remove and re-fit myself which I'm unsure of.

So, spending all my time on the internet ooking for a solution. Crown Honda only take messages and I can't get a call back,

thanks again, joe

Shantijoe

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2022, 04:31:22 PM »
Have you tried resetting the codes with the OBD reader?

Thanks for the tip. If I clear the codes and they return as soon as I re-connect will that help?

I'll go and try, thanks, joe

Shantijoe

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2022, 04:36:44 PM »
I'd suggest not ideally, but you could "probably" get away with driving it. Your choice really.

The engine management "should" prevent serious damage by inhibiting fuel to a cylinder if there is a misfire detected (a

Where are you right now and where do you want to get to, if that's not a rude question?

Thanks again- If I trust the diagnosis that it is an ECU fault I'm looking into repair/ replacement.
N London to Ilkley Yorks is a long drive and I'm nervous about it...

Ta, joe

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2022, 04:40:33 PM »
Only 40k miles but 10 years old. I wonder if the plugs have ever been changed. Could one be showing its age?

How far to Crown Honda? Is it worth limping there without an appointment?

PS: Here's discussion of a similar problem https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=13130.0 .
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 04:43:04 PM by John Ratsey »
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Shantijoe

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2022, 04:50:58 PM »
Hi

The garage say they've tested all the things I asked- plugs, coils, etc but I don't know them so trust is an issue...

thanks, joe

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2022, 05:25:39 PM »
Clear the codes, run it again and if the MIL comes on see what the codes are. If it's the same then it identifies the cylinder and a misfire. By far the most likely things as said are either plugs (age and gaps) or the coil (or both?).

I don't trust most places giving that sort of diagnosis. Of course they might be correct, but odds are it's something much simpler.

Are you able to change plugs and/or coils yourself? The coil is simply unplug and plug in a new one. Not sure of your engine, but usually the connector is directly on the top of the coil body, and they are typically held in place by one bolt. Others will advise.

If you can do it, mark the one with the fault code (tape/felt pen etc) and swap it to another cylinder. Clear codes and try again. If the fault moves with the coil then bingo. If it doesn't then at least it's ruled out (probably).

Shantijoe

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2022, 05:59:38 PM »
Thanks again for your help:

I have tried erasing the codes and starting again but the same codes return indicating misfire on cylinder 3.
The Amber engine light is flashing.

I've just had a return call from the nearest Honda garage who have offered a diagnostic test for £60.00 which I will do tomorrow.
The car will be slow on low revs but I have more trust in them- I'll post with details,

best wishes, joe

embee

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2022, 06:38:05 PM »
Sounds a good plan to me, good luck.

MiniNinjaRob

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Jazz EX 1.4
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2022, 10:29:22 AM »
Thanks again for your help:

I have tried erasing the codes and starting again but the same codes return indicating misfire on cylinder 3.
The Amber engine light is flashing.

I've just had a return call from the nearest Honda garage who have offered a diagnostic test for £60.00 which I will do tomorrow.
The car will be slow on low revs but I have more trust in them- I'll post with details,

best wishes, joe

Sounds like all they will do is plug their computer in and all you will get is the same code as you have found. I don’t think they’ll be testing individual components for £60 at a dealers.

Hopefully they will do more. Try and push the “miles from home and skint” angle with them!!

embee

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2022, 11:00:11 AM »
The dealer diagnostics will be able to tell more than the basic fault code from a simple OBD reader, there are usually sub-codes which identify what type of fault it is in addition to the component area, e.g. short circuit or open circuit etc.
I'd be very surprised if they can't identify the actual fault, but nothing is 100%. I suspect this will be a fairly basic/common fault.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2022, 11:28:16 AM »
A 2012 Jazz will have iridium plugs: replace at 75k miles.
I replaced my 2012's last year at 52k miles- unworn
SO plugs are unlikely.Coil pack seems the next choice - and cheap.And easy to change.

Shantijoe

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2022, 12:45:09 PM »
Hi All

Honda know about my previous diagnosis and I've asked the to confirm whether it actually is a faulty ECU.

The 6 mile drive there was ok after the engine had warmed up. Hills were the only problem...
I'll report back when I hear from Honda,

Thanks for all you help, joe
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 12:46:50 PM by Shantijoe »

Shantijoe

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2022, 05:16:49 PM »
Hi All

I jst got a call back from Crown Honda....

They want to start by replacing an injector £552.00 but think it may also need an ECU £1369.00

I explained that it was there for the ECU to be tested which it nows seems they can't do!

So, back to square one... it's 5.15 pm and they close at 6pm...

thanks for any further suggestions... joe
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 05:18:32 PM by Shantijoe »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2022, 06:47:28 PM »
Are you a member of the AA or RAC with Recovery? Head off towards Yorkshire, call them out, and have them recover you home. Then get your mechanic to get a used injector and see if that works. If not get him to get a used ECU. Parts from a breaker's yard should be much cheaper. The chances it was the ECU that caused the donor Jazz to crash is highly unlikely!

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2022, 08:43:40 PM »
but think it may also need an ECU £1369.00
Sorry to hear of the problems btw.

If the ECU is suspected, rather than buy a replacement, I would try ECU testing.

https://www.ecutesting.com/common-faults/honda/honda-jazz-ecu-fault-causing-misfire/

They quote £250+vat to rebuild.

I have used them in the past to get an ABS module rebuilt on the Skoda VRS we owned. They were speedy, reliable and a fraction of the cost of our local Skoda dealer.

I've also heard of BBA reman http://www.bba-reman.com/gb/index.aspx  - but not used them personaly.

Tags:

anything