Author Topic: Apple CarPlay occasional connection issue  (Read 16191 times)

guest9814

Re: Apple CarPlay occasional connection issue
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2022, 07:03:24 PM »
Once happened to me too, iphone 13 Pro Max refused to connect to multimedia right after i added bluetooth headphones, solved by switching to airplane mode in smartphone, and  switching off bluetooth in the multimedia, then switched all back  ON , never happened again (but i rarely using bluetooth headphones), in comparison with wireless Android Auto the Apple CarPlay working much better for me (sad only that google maps without voice guidance, and can't zoom maps using touch screen like in AA) .
There in engeneer menu that i used to switch Android Auto to work  wireless exist menu to backup User data to USB flash drive !!!
I  can`t check now if this backup working - on my multimedia usb misteriusly  stopped working, now waiting for replacement.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2022, 07:33:55 PM »
I only use wired CarPlay - I know there have been some issues with people using usb music sticks, could be something to do with wired connection maybe?

I found wireless CarPlay to be too slow when jumping forward music tracks.

guest9814

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2022, 02:22:15 PM »
Do you still able to play music from usb stick ?
Do phone get charge from this port ?
When usb in my multimedia stopped working i seen message about problem with charging my device,
this message well know to Honda drivers as i find this on several Honda forums, and this not only charging - USB port that used for car play and android auto stopped working completely !!!!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2022, 02:52:50 PM »
I've been OK with wireless Android Auto.

I use the connected USB port for playing music from a stick.

I'm using my bespoke active phone holder and that is connected to the passenger side rear USB.

What I have noticed is that if my phone gets either a Google update or a Android Auto update, which does occur even though it's Android 12 with AA built in, then the next time in the car it sits on 'trying to connect' for about 2 minutes, but, it always connects, never fails.

But if there hasn't been any phone Google updates, rare as it seems to update every other day, then AA kicks in almost immediately.

Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2022, 03:04:53 PM »
I've enabled wireless carplay in mine again, and am plugging into the power port rather than the data port.

Hopefully it may make a difference. It's quite frustrating when the system crashes during a drive.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2022, 05:12:29 PM »
My phone, Sammy Galaxy S10, is doing quite a lot of work as well :

Wireless Android Auto
Bluetooth to headunit for HFT
Multimedia connection to headunit for Speedtrap Alert
Bluetooth connection to Garmin DS61 for traffic

and it all works.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2022, 11:49:57 AM »
The USB connection on Hondas does seem to be a bit flaky. I found a load of complaints about it from CRV owners in America.

I’m using CarPlay through wireless now. No crashes so far, but it’s not as good.

There’s a significant delay when pressing the steering wheel buttons to change tracks, and more of a delay when pressing the voice button compared to wired CarPlay. But if it doesn’t crash, I’ll put up with it.

I am also having the weird gps catch up issue that others have had. The map display is behind where you are, then suddenly catches up to your actual position.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2022, 02:37:39 PM »
My Android Auto Google map, even in the data hungry satellite view, seems to be quite accurate.

I have downloaded the maps to my phone, maybe that helps.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2022, 02:49:50 PM »
My Android Auto Google map, even in the data hungry satellite view, seems to be quite accurate.

I have downloaded the maps to my phone, maybe that helps.

I'm using TomTom with downloaded maps - many times the location is spot on, but it will sometimes fall behind and then catch up.

It didn't do it as much on wired CarPlay, so there seem to be various bugs with Honda CarPlay.

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2022, 04:48:15 PM »
...8/10  on the wireless Android auto for me

On a side note did the H-RV get a different sat nav to the Jazz? As the default map colour is a mix of grey hues for the day time maps whereas mine is a mix of greens. Unless I missed the option to change somewhere?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2022, 05:44:07 PM »
IIRC the HRV standard Garmin navigation has a facility to connect to a smartphone to receive 'internet traffic' so there is at least one difference.

Whilst I'm quite happy with AA Google maps traffic/detour and my standalone Garmin DS61 Smartlink traffic, it would be nice to have the HRV traffic system with a view to removing the DS61.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2022, 07:40:50 PM »
IIRC the HRV standard Garmin navigation has a facility to connect to a smartphone to receive 'internet traffic' so there is at least one difference.

Whilst I'm quite happy with AA Google maps traffic/detour and my standalone Garmin DS61 Smartlink traffic, it would be nice to have the HRV traffic system with a view to removing the DS61.

Looks like the HRV can also update the maps via wifi instead of the USB stick shuffling we have to do.

Hopefully some software updates for Jazz will be coming, we are falling quite far behind HRV and Civic even though the systems should be pretty much the same.

Maybe purposely by Honda to make people upgrade to a more expensive car?

dfconnolly

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e-HEV EX and 2019 CRV e-HEV SR
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2022, 10:35:54 AM »
The USB connection on Hondas does seem to be a bit flaky. I found a load of complaints about it from CRV owners in America.

I’m using CarPlay through wireless now. No crashes so far, but it’s not as good.

There’s a significant delay when pressing the steering wheel buttons to change tracks, and more of a delay when pressing the voice button compared to wired CarPlay. But if it doesn’t crash, I’ll put up with it.

I am also having the weird gps catch up issue that others have had. The map display is behind where you are, then suddenly catches up to your actual position.

Interesting…..I have the CRV hybrid as well a wife’s Jazz and I’ve never had any issues over 2 years with the CRV USB connections ( one phone dedicated and adjacent usb for music ….both front console)

I think a lot of this is down to Garmin software and CRV head units are Alpine I think?
From the advert "Who knows where you’ll go?"

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2022, 11:31:33 AM »
I will admit that I had a problem with the USB stick I'd been using in 2 Civics without issue.

I bought a new low profile USB and it's been 100% reliable.

Maybe change your phone cable ?

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2022, 12:01:23 PM »
I will admit that I had a problem with the USB stick I'd been using in 2 Civics without issue.

I bought a new low profile USB and it's been 100% reliable.

Maybe change your phone cable ?

I've tried it on two different iPhones running two different versions of iOS and using two different cables now :(

Perhaps CarPlay is just too advanced for the Jazz processor if you are running music and satnav and it's crashing due to an overload of information?

Tags: