Author Topic: Battery never below 3 or above 7 notches?  (Read 3585 times)

Ioannis

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz e:hev
Battery never below 3 or above 7 notches?
« on: February 05, 2022, 12:28:24 PM »
Our new white Jazz Executive was delivered a couple of days ago - I drove it in the city, countryside and motorway and the battery indicator fluctuates between 3 and 7 notches, but never shows 10 notches, e.g. full. I love the little car and how it drives, but is there any way to get the battery to show "full", e.g. 10 notches? Or is this not relevant for Lithium batteries?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Battery never below 3 or above 7 notches?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 12:33:34 PM »
Mine will often show 10 bars after a weeks storage or after a trickle charge.

Once out on the road though it's back to 3 to 7
Let's be careful out there !

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 01:10:39 PM »
John posted this in another thread a short while ago:
One factor is how easy is it to remove / replace the battery pack and whether the vehicle and battery have been designed with consideration to long term repair. The battery pack in the Mk 4 Jazz is relatively small and probably accessible without too much difficult. Another factor is how the battery is managed, bearing in mind that the more it is operated towards the ends of the charge range then the faster the lithium chemistry gets worn out. It's clear that Honda have considered this aspect as the charge level spends most of its time between 30% and 70%. Less than 30% is only used for short periods when power is needed and the battery already down to 30% while charging above 70% only happens when going down a long hill. The design of the Mercedes mentioned in the first post may use the full battery capacity. If it's a PHEV and the battery is left with a low charge for some time then the chemistry suffers badly.

I believe that the battery in the hybrid Mk 2 Jazz is nickel-metal hydride which is more tolerant to being used over the full charge range but has lower charge density than lithium batteries. See also https://www.honda.co.uk/engineroom/electric/ultimate-hybrid-car-faq/ .

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 01:50:06 PM »
When I go down a long hill mine regularly shows all 10 bars.
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

guest9814

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2022, 03:47:51 PM »
When I go down a long hill mine regularly shows all 10 bars.

But  never getting 100% charge - maximum that I seen through OBD monitoring app Car Scanner on long downhill is 95% and then ice  engine braking comes up.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2022, 06:46:08 PM »
I see 10 bars regularly, without driving down a long hill or plugging in the trickle charger.
At low temperatures (around + 2 °C or lower) starting with cold engine, heating at 21 or 22 °C. The ICE continues to work to bring the interior to the required temperature, but in the meantime also charges the battery, often up to 10 bars...
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2022, 05:20:55 AM »
I'm convinced my infrequent 10 bars display is a wrong reading. Something is getting confused, but out on the road it corrects itself.
Let's be careful out there !

Jayt43

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2022, 06:30:31 AM »
I see 10 bars regularly, without driving down a long hill or plugging in the trickle charger.
At low temperatures (around + 2 °C or lower) starting with cold engine, heating at 21 or 22 °C. The ICE continues to work to bring the interior to the required temperature, but in the meantime also charges the battery, often up to 10 bars...

Yes, same here. Poland and Hungary have colder winters than UK, so the Jazz's battery benefits in the morning :-)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2022, 06:59:22 AM »
I think to reassure the OP   ,in normal driving on level roads the battery doesnt normally go above 7 .  By 7 it  will  be using the battery for electric drive. The Battery prefers not to go above 70% charge too often.

But it can go up to 10 on long downhill stretches (even slightly down hill)  where the car is generating  more electricty than its using  to drive the electric motor.  When the battery gets near 100% any further charging is used for braking or it stops charging.

You may not have experienced this yet.

Like Kremmen I have seen it go above 7 when the car has been parked for a few days.  I dont know why this happens.  Possibly just the voltage giving a slightly false reading at rest. It does seem to drop from 10 quite quickly.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2022, 10:59:50 AM »
I do get 10 bars from time to time although 3 to 7 is the most common range. What happens with me is the battery will go up to 10 bars on a cold day and on a short trip. My theory is that the engine is on almost constantly to generate heat for the cabin and, at the same time it's charging the battery.

PaultheManc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz Hybrid SR
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2022, 11:04:14 AM »
Just a few days with my new Jazz Hybrid and pondered this question as I was driving.  The excellent Honda Tech video explaining how the Honda hybrid system works gives some insight into this.  The battery is there to optimise the efficiency of the hybrid engine.  I believe it will normally aim to be about half charged - this way it can provide power when advantageous or store power (e.g. when the ICE is heating the car) when it would otherwise be wasted.  You should expect to do a lot of EV driving if the battery gets to 100%, so that the battery state aims to reach the normal mid range level.  Just my tuppence.

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2022, 12:10:54 PM »
... I've never seen mine go below 3 but does reach 10 sometimes, as mentioned it doesn't require a long downhill section to achieve this.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2022, 05:18:34 PM »
... I've never seen mine go below 3 but does reach 10 sometimes, as mentioned it doesn't require a long downhill section to achieve this.
I've seen my gauge occasional drop to 2 bars if a power boost is needed (eg for overtaking) when the battery is already down to 3 bars so the battery provides a brief surge of power while the engine is building up speed.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2022, 06:14:59 PM »
In highway/motorway cruise driving, I see it cycle:

- Engine drives wheels (either directly or indirectly via generator) and also charges battery up to 7 bars
- Battery only mode until it drops to 4 bars
- repeat

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2022, 04:15:02 PM »

... Actually saw 2 bars today.

Tags: