Author Topic: Delay in sat nav position on apps  (Read 4759 times)

sportse

• Approved Member
Delay in sat nav position on apps
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2022, 06:09:03 AM »
Apparently, there is a new version of Apple Car Play coming out that will have the capability to link into some of the cars vehicle settings and software……..now won’t that be fun!??
We seem to have gone backwards rather than forwards with software.

Several manufacturers had perfectly working CarPlay in previous generation models, but the very latest ones are having all sorts of quirky issues that shouldn’t be occurring.

Maybe manufacturers aren’t spending the same amount of money on software, trying to cut corners?

Or rushing out software without proper testing?

I get the impression from my experiences that Honda may have outsourced tech support, rather than having it done by the actual engineers who designed and programmed the car.

They can’t even deal with what should be simple software issues.

My woes have been going on for four and a half months now with no solution, and also seven trips to the dealer.

I’ve wasted days of lost time trying to sort out issues that shouldn’t even have occurred in the first place.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 06:35:10 AM by sportse »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Delay in sat nav position on apps
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2022, 06:37:05 AM »
From what you've posted I think I'd be looking to get an older iPhone, just for the car if it's more compatible.

The infotainment is Android 8 so that shows when the development took place.
Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2022, 08:21:21 AM »
From what you've posted I think I'd be looking to get an older iPhone, just for the car if it's more compatible.

The infotainment is Android 8 so that shows when the development took place.
I’m tied into having a new phone for the security.

Separate to the connection issues, my startup issues happen without anything being connected to the car - so it’s something software/hardware related unfortunately.

Honda say one long boot every 20 hours.

In the last week I’ve had long boots at 8 hours and then 4 hours afterwards.

Previously after a software update I was having long boots every 2-3 hours and the only way to fix that was a new £2,400 infotainment control unit :(

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2022, 08:33:55 AM »
I just don't understand why, especially after a hardware change.

Mine is up and running within 30 secs in the vast majority of startups.

What is different with yours is a mystery.

I appreciate you need an up to date phone but I mentioned a 'second' phone, just for the car.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2022, 09:19:04 AM »
I think I definitely have a Friday afternoon car, there are so many issues mine has that no-one else seems to have :(

Who knows what computer modules elsewhere are faulty and may be causing the issues?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 09:32:30 AM by sportse »

guest9814

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2022, 12:49:17 PM »
Finally I can say we’re is a problem, when any third party app for navigation installed and used when CarPlay activated it affects navigation with CarPlay also when Apple maps afterward used, and  to fix this I needed to uninstall all that apps zoo from iPhone ( waze, Google maps, Here wego, ) then unpair iPhone and car, power off car and after powering car on pair them again  :o, then no delays in Apple maps.
How to understand that app not using car gps ? Easy - when any navigation app using iPhone gps the gps icon on left upper  side of screen is blue, if app using gps that CarPlay  provided from car GPS receiver the gps icon on iPhone is grey.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2022, 01:16:46 PM »
I must admit, I'm also suspicious about other phone apps interfering with the phone to infotainment experience.

TomTom Go caused serious delays on mine. I only installed it as a test anc was swiftly removed and speed returned. I've also got no music on the phone so something else it doesn't have to find.

DERMOT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk4 SR
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2022, 09:46:13 PM »
Upgraded from Samsung with Android 11 to Pixel6 (Android 12)
With Samsung there was a delay in car position in Google maps when using android auto.
With Pixel 6, delay has gone.
So suspect that the newer version of Android is the fix.
New phone also done connects wirelessly, whilst Samsung would not. And connects quickly.

DERMOT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk4 SR
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2022, 10:04:26 PM »
Suggestion to sportse.
Borrow an Android phone, and get a rolling month contract at £10. for data.
Remove telematics, and your iphone.
Reset the Honda entrainment controller.
Add the iphone just with the hands-free Honda connection.
Use the Android phone for just Google maps, maybe whatapp, and copy not tx your contacts over.
You don't need to port any accounts over, and none of your sensitive data gets moved.
Give it a couple of weeks. You can see if there is something intrinsic ally wrong with your car, or if it is poor with Carplay and below acceptable with your particular phone, iOS version, and apps running.
That the Honda ice nav isn't robust for you Is poor and you would have went elsewhere if you know. But rather than choice of life with it &  hoping for sw fix, or reject ing car, maybe adaption with android phone is option?

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2022, 10:42:21 PM »
Thanks, unfortunately all my data is with apple.

I used to have android phones a few years ago, but switched over to apple for phones and also for PCs this year.

It’s now been 4.5 months and 7 dealer visits.

The infotainment unit (and the replacement one) has been reset many many times, the phones deleted and readded, wireless only connection tried & wired only connection too.

Different versions of iOS installed over the last few months, including the latest one a few days ago… with no change.

The infotainment unit had been reset again this week, along with adding the phone once as wireless, then deleting a few days later and trying wired.

Two different phones as well - I used to have a SE2 that had the issues, and same issues with an iPhone 13.

Boot delay occurs without even anything connected by wires or using wireless.

Phone won’t connect issue is the same.

Pretty much everything has been tried without success.

:(
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 11:01:56 PM by sportse »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2022, 06:00:47 AM »
Was the infotainment OK for a short time when new and immediately after the control unit change ?

I seem to remember, without checking, it was.

If so, something may be building up on the phone causing sufficient delay to cause a timeout.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2022, 06:49:15 AM »
I think the problems may be related to number of starts/run time.

I have high amounts of both with the amount/type of driving I do, perhaps that’s why I get them more than others.

Honda technical confirmed the problems exist, but it appears they are indeed a separate department /outsourced as they talked about speaking with ‘factory’ unfortunately rather than themselves being the engineers.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2022, 07:00:05 AM »
Morning  :)

The other thing that occurred to me was when you said you need your current phone for security.

What has your phone got in addition to stock ?

A security app/feature that doesn't like frequent outbound connection that it then deems unsafe and performs extra checks ?

Just clutching at straws, but trying to help.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2022, 09:28:47 AM »
Many thanks for your suggestions.

It’s just standard iOS using all the built in security that comes with the OS such as Face ID, Apple Pay, etc.

The dealer say they have reached the end of what they can do, I’m just waiting to hear back from Honda UK now - hopefully next week.

I’ve even stopped using TomTom for a while but the satellite position error is still there - sometimes spot on, other times not accurate.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2022, 09:58:24 AM »
I've just being doing some testing.

Next time the phone won't connect, go into the phone settings and 'disconnect', 'connect' (not unpair)

Then go into the headunit 'General Settings' 'Smartphone Connection'.

If like me, you may get a message saying the phone isn't connected. Press 'Connect' and see what happens.

On mine, even though the phone has been told to connect, the headunit needs to be told as well after it accepted the phone disconnect.

Tags:

anything