Author Topic: Improve the GE Jazz: What ONE thing would you improve?  (Read 48192 times)

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Improve the GE Jazz: What ONE thing would you improve?
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2013, 06:11:09 PM »
No problems with the ride, just the tyre noise...

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2013, 11:05:55 PM »

What tyres are you on?

Defender

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 EX CVT
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2013, 08:09:53 AM »
[but a 1.5 engine would be a whole lot better.i have the latest cvt, and it is brilliant.the dunlop sp2030 are really grippy.i]
[/i]

+1 for the 1.5 engine option, the CVT is taking some getting used to, but works very smoothly.
I'll reserve judgement on the Dunlop SP2030's as I only ran them for a few cold days before I swapped over to winter tyres.

2011 1.4 EX CVT in Metalic Mushroom (Urban Titanium).

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2013, 08:18:10 AM »
Not trying to be too controversial, but those that complain about the ride . . . . did you not test drive it??
Don't just poodle down the road half a mile and back again, take it 10 miles or so, various speeds, on various roads, etc.
If you want a sports car then obviously don't look at a Jazz, but if you want a smaller car to carry 2-4 people and occassionaly shopping or luggage reasonable distances its fine, however if you need to carry 5 adults, copious luggage and tour Europe for weeks at a time maybe look at something else.

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2013, 09:49:45 AM »
Ozzie is so right - an extensive test drive is a 'must' for buying any car. The usual 'round the block' with a salesman passenger is too often a recipe for 'buy in haste, repent at leisure.'

Just returned from a 750-mile Christmas round trip with two adult passengers and luggage for a week away, not to forget Xmas presents... a third of which I happily rode in the back seat (6'1" tall.) GE Jazz - 1.2 manual g'box, even - is great, for such a small car, for so many things. All of which I recognised in my test drive vs several of its supermini competitors. Tardis-like accommodation coupled with a visual feeling of 'space' (windowscape?) whether from back or front seat was the leading positive point of difference. 'Fit and finish' was another major observation and things simply... 'work' snick-snack, clickety-click.

For me (as the OP of this thread) 'jiggly/restless ride' was a trade off I was prepared to make against so many positives in the test drive. I just feel that the suspension is the ONE significant thing that lets down what would otherwise be a truly superb, possibly leading, motoring 'package' in its competitive sector. But that's simply my opinion. P'raps the high roofline (body roll) presents a suspension engineering challenge that's not cheaply overcome. 

Nevertheless after 3years/29,000 miles and all sorts of motoring, I'd happily buy another Jazz. 

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2013, 11:37:36 AM »
I would choose 2 improvements, a lower spec Jazz built to UK customer requirements with min electrical additions bought via a group purchase basis ie internet order for a limited production run of 250 UK Models all the same spec colour etc then serviced by a mechanic at your home. Oh and the price OTR £11,999.99 with 5 year 100000mile guarantee.
Come on Honda get with the power of the web

madasafish

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2013, 11:45:19 AM »

What tyres are you on?

Michelin Energy Saver.

On my Yaris they are very quiet.

On the Jazz, quiet on good surfaces but VERY noisy on non smooth tarmac.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 11:47:58 AM by madasafish »

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2013, 03:04:27 PM »

What tyres are you on?

All non-metalled roads provide a lot more noise.  Here many of the secondary roads are gravel and I mostly drive a Mitsubishi 4X4 on them.  The pounding and vibration is quite intense, even at speeds under 80km/hr.  With gravel roads with bad corrugations from having heavy trucks on them, you have to drive over 100km/hr so you just hit the tops of the bumps. Tremendous dust cloud behind.
If music be the food of love, play on

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2013, 03:20:58 PM »
ChrisC... 'Metal' meaning, for the 'non-colonials', full width with gravel and stones. Just the sort of road my formative years of motoring experience were on! Plumes of billowing dust. Never been so enjoyable since...

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2013, 04:06:16 PM »
I'm with 'Ivytek' on this one, for the overall package there is nothing to beat the Jazz, every car has its good and bad points, you pays yer money and make your choice.
Re the 'jiggly/harsh ride, my daughter has a 2012 5 series BMW, a car costing more than twice the price on the Jazz, in my view the ride is no better. Anyway, I much prefer this type of ride, to the rock & roll gait of many of the competitors.
Perhaps my only criticism would be the limited choice of tyres and maybe windscreen reflections. Also there should also be a better choice of standard colours, ie, in the UK, Red is the only colour you can have, without paying extra. Other than that I am happy and would certainly buy another one.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 04:12:38 PM by Kenneve »

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2013, 06:23:30 PM »
intermittent rear wiper

madasafish

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2013, 07:13:32 PM »

Perhaps my only criticism would be the limited choice of tyres

16inch only. Those of use who did some research went ES to avoid tyres costing twice they should do :-)

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2013, 07:44:03 PM »

Perhaps my only criticism would be the limited choice of tyres

16inch only. Those of use who did some research went ES to avoid tyres costing twice they should do :-)

Similar price but less choice which is a bit annoying if you want a quieter tyre.
The ride in the EX is a good compromise between comfort and handling in my opinion. Quite sporty and reasonable comfort.
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

Defender

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 EX CVT
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2013, 08:31:47 PM »
intermittent rear wiper

I have an intermittent rear wiper on my '11 EX :D.
2011 1.4 EX CVT in Metalic Mushroom (Urban Titanium).

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2013, 09:22:59 PM »
The perceived quality of the interior - the GE is a step back over the GD. Honda can match VW - look at the Accord and Civic next to the Passat and Golf mk5/6; even the GD model matched the like-for-like generation VW Polo.

Tags: