Author Topic: Local Honda dealer new Jazz offer  (Read 9223 times)

applicationcen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Jazz EX i-Shift
Re: Local Honda dealer new Jazz offer
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2016, 10:53:49 PM »
retail organisations cant sell product because people are scared stiff and a huge number of people are being retrenched.

Honda like the John Lewis Partnership have been side swiped by the most distressing economic eruptions since just before Maggie got to power.

longlegpete

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Better Half's Jazz Sport 1.4 2007, MY Jazz 1.4 Ex 2009 And Another 1.4EX 2009
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2016, 11:57:31 PM »
Car dealers are like many other traders, they may well sell the car at cost but they are after there rebate,  this is given by manufacturers when you hit targets and can be as high as 8-10% which is somewhere near normal margins anyway, that's why they pre reg cars.

Hondas biggest market is the US and its made great gains in sales which are now at record levels so as a company they are doing very well as a whole, they are a very diverse company and are market leaders in a few, the UK is an important market to Honda but it's simply not what they are cocentrating on and i wouldn't be surprised if they switch there plants to Europe if we can't obtain access to a free market.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2016, 09:50:58 AM »

Hondas biggest market is the US and its made great gains in sales which are now at record levels so as a company they are doing very well as a whole, they are a very diverse company and are market leaders in a few, the UK is an important market to Honda but it's simply not what they are cocentrating on and i wouldn't be surprised if they switch there plants to Europe if we can't obtain access to a free market.

UK is Honda's biggest market in EU so why would they quit making cars here ?  Access to free market carries too many strings for my liking, trading conditions in UK together with a skilled workforce and low corporation tax, and lower regulation burden once we are free of EU will make UK an attractive place to do business, and our balance of trade with EU is very much in EU favour, they will bang drums and jump about, but in their (fast failing) EU hearts they know UK is a very important market, Germans have already publicly admitted as much.  We are leaving EU, not Europe - and Europe will not have a single market soon, when the Euro finally fails and the migrant crisis overwhelms the slow-moving, unresponsive EU council and more countries vote to leave the sinking ship.

And just for the record, the EU market has never been free, and UK people have recently decided price is too high for us.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 09:59:59 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2016, 03:54:28 PM »
UK is Honda's biggest market in EU so why would they quit making cars here ? 

Haven't Honda recently announced,since the referendum, that Swindon is to manufacture the world wide production of the new Civic?

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2016, 08:11:37 PM »
UK is Honda's biggest market in EU so why would they quit making cars here ? 

Haven't Honda recently announced,since the referendum, that Swindon is to manufacture the world wide production of the new Civic?

Vic.

They confirmed investment of £200million after brexit was announced - Toyota also announced they will be staying put - seems the japs are more loyal than our European 'friends'
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2016, 09:46:42 PM »
Hondas biggest market is the US and its made great gains in sales which are now at record levels ..

In the US Honda's are seen as cheap cars.  Top of the range Fit (Jazz) is $20K and that's with a 1.5L engine, auto, leather seats, metallic paint.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2016, 08:53:30 AM »
Honda have a premium range called Acura in USA just like Toyota have Lexus and Nissan have Infiniti to give the cars a non-Japanese sounding name.  You call Honda cheap in USA, I would call them good value, and this is how Americans see them, come to think of it most things are cheaper in USA, my motorbike costs in dollars what I paid in £'s here in 'rip-off Britain'

longlegpete

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Better Half's Jazz Sport 1.4 2007, MY Jazz 1.4 Ex 2009 And Another 1.4EX 2009
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2016, 09:05:01 AM »

UK is Honda's biggest market in EU so why would they quit making cars here ?  Access to free market carries too many strings for my liking, trading conditions in UK together with a skilled workforce and low corporation tax, and lower regulation burden once we are free of EU will make UK an attractive place to do business, and our balance of trade with EU is very much in EU favour, they will bang drums and jump about, but in their (fast failing) EU hearts they know UK is a very important market, Germans have already publicly admitted as much.  We are leaving EU, not Europe - and Europe will not have a single market soon, when the Euro finally fails and the migrant crisis overwhelms the slow-moving, unresponsive EU council and more countries vote to leave the sinking ship.

And just for the record, the EU market has never been free, and UK people have recently decided price is too high for us.

Yes the UK may be the largest market for Honda in Europe but its nowhere near the European market as a whole and if tariffs are applied to exports from the UK to Europe then it would make business sense to move to protect your market , you can bet you life a EU government somewhere  (Czech Republic would be my guess) would make them more than welcome with various incentives as per the UK government did with Honda and Nissan

longlegpete

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2016, 09:14:29 AM »
Hondas biggest market is the US and its made great gains in sales which are now at record levels ..

In the US Honda's are seen as cheap cars.  Top of the range Fit (Jazz) is $20K and that's with a 1.5L engine, auto, leather seats, metallic paint.

All cars are cheaper in the US than Europe, same goes for IPads, Samsung phones Etc, it has long been the case, you can buy a new Triumph motorcycle in the states much cheaper than you can here in the UK and they only have to travel from midland UK

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2016, 11:29:25 AM »

Yes the UK may be the largest market for Honda in Europe but its nowhere near the European market as a whole and if tariffs are applied to exports from the UK to Europe then it would make business sense to move to protect your market , you can bet you life a EU government somewhere  (Czech Republic would be my guess) would make them more than welcome with various incentives as per the UK government did with Honda and Nissan

For decades the EU has been offering companies large chunks of our money to move manufacturing plants from UK to less developed European countries (also including Turkey in readiness for their entry to EU), they are shameless and remorseless in their quest to make Europe one country - the biggest land grab since Hitler kicked off WW2. Tariffs would start a trade war which would harm EU much more than UK because we buy much more from them than they buy from us, Germany already admitted this as they have the best part of a million cars a year coming to UK.

longlegpete

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2016, 01:42:28 PM »
We will have to watch and see, the UK government gave Nissan and Honda insensitives to open there plants here so i dont think any government in Europe are alone subsidising car plants or any other manufacture for that matter, it makes sense to do so because of the jobs etc it brings.

As far as tariffs hurting the EU more than the UK i would agree with you 100%,  but as the main bank roller to the EU is germany and they are the keenest  to see the EU model be successful i think they will take the hit on the nose that tariffs will bring, after all they absorbed the cost that taking the east into there fold and came through it.

Of course it must not also be asumed that because your UK BMW may cost 10% more thay will stop selling in the UK, it just means they will sell fewer so the economic hit will not be as great as a complete cut off of trade,  of course if we lose all the volume car manufacturers in the UK due to relocation then it will just mean we pay more for any car, also a fair proportion of the UK v EU trade gap is car production, so if the big boys were to relocate a fair amount of that gap would disappear

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2016, 01:58:53 PM »
Last week Honda said that they would keep the Swindon factory open http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/14748788.Honda___s_Civic_pride_is_to_remain_in_town/. At present this makes commercial sense as the £ is weak.  In addition, the majority of the Civic production will go outside of EU.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2016, 03:31:42 PM »

All cars are cheaper in the US than Europe, same goes for IPads, Samsung phones Etc, it has long been the case, you can buy a new Triumph motorcycle in the states much cheaper than you can here in the UK and they only have to travel from midland UK

Well, it's obviously very exchange rate dependent, and prices in the US are always without tax.   Use today's £/$ rate of around £1=$1.33 and add 20% VAT and there's not much difference, although US vehicles do tend to be better spec'd and they don't get ripped off for things like auto and metallic paint.

What I meant by Honda being seen as "cheap" is they're thought of in the same way as we used to think of Kia and Hyundai.  It's a preception thing, more than anything else.

Tags:

anything