Author Topic: Connecting external Hard Disc Drive via USB to stereo system on Mk2 Jazz  (Read 1757 times)

Crazeenick

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2
I have been using an 8GB USB pen drive plugged into the car stereo USB socket to play music MP3 tracks on my in-car stereo system in my Honda Jazz Mk2 (2012 model). 

Now I would like to use an external Hard Disc Drive (HDD), say 250GB, so that I have a much bigger collection of music at my disposal.  But when I try doing this I get an error message on the car stereo ("unsupportable"), even though it is just MP3 files, as per the pen drive.  Looking online, I wondered whether this is because the stereo's USB socket is unable to provide enough power to run the external HDD?  Or is it because the HDD is too large (too many GB)?  Or a problem with formatting (FAT32 and all that)?

Has anyone else had any success running an HDD drive (or an SSD drive) with the car stereo system on a Mk2 Jazz?

Henryge

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 43.3
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 litre 2014 ivtec
Hi, I've been using a 128gb memory stick with mp3 music format about 40 gb filled.
     using the steering radio controls for volume and skipping forward only, Have set radio
     button on random select.

Crazeenick

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
Hi, I've been using a 128gb memory stick with mp3 music format about 40 gb filled.
     using the steering radio controls for volume and skipping forward only, Have set radio
     button on random select.

When you first switch on, does it take a long time to scan the memory stick and show the tracks?
If you want to search for a particular album and track, is it difficult/slow to find it?

Henryge

• Approved Member
Hi, When you switch on it comes up straight away as usb mode. only if switch it off in usb mode, All mine are tracks which i put into random mode. You could try setting 5 albums with 5 tracks in each 25 total and see how that works.

Crazeenick

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member

If you have filled around 40GB on your memory stick - is that 300-500 albums worth?  That's quite a lot.  So it's pretty good if that is manageable.

I am thinking of abandoning the idea of using a HDD (stereo system unlikely to be able to power it) and instead have three 64GB memory sticks, with say A-H artists on the first one, I-P artists on the second one and Q-Z artists on the third one. 

Perhaps use memory sticks of three different colours so I can easily find what I want? This sort of thing (but in 64GB size):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Cruzer-Blade-Flash-Drive/dp/B01NHBV6PE/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=64GB+coloured+memory+sticks&qid=1586184281&sr=8-17

Do you think that is a viable set up?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 03:55:32 PM by Crazeenick »

Henryge

• Approved Member
Hi, Are you thinking of installing one at a time or all 3 on a multi connector?.If one at time that is ok but don't about 3 together or how that would work. 64or even 32gb should ok. Try a test rig in terms of how many tracks you can hold on 16gb then mutiply by 2 or 4 for 32 or 64gb. See how that goes.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
FYI I've got my entire CD collection sitting on my hard drive. I've just checked and there are more than 10,000 files (not all are music) in 590 folders and the whole lot occupies 41GB.

I've checked the properties of a few files (MP3 format) and the encoding bitrate (higher bitrate = lower compression) ranges between about 150 and 250kbs. I can't tell the difference in quality and I would be surprised if anyone listening to music in their cars while driving along could tell the difference between medium compressed MP3 files and something less compressed. I would expect 500 albums with relatively low compression to fit on a 128GB flash drive with room to spare.

2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Henryge

• Approved Member
Hi Mine are all between 250kbs and 320kbs after unlimited downloads and cheap storage, like i said mine are all tracks on the stick, But the controls in the car are limited to next track and volume only. You will have to spend plenty of time on the road to listen to all that music.

oldgt

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 Jazz CVT
If the hard drive was formatted to FAT or FAT 32 then a hard drive with s suitable post supply should work, subject to any limitations of the stereo.
Use a solid state hard drive as this will be okay being knocked about in the car.

You might need to find an app that can format a disk of that size to a FAT format, make sure the disk is blank or has nothing you want to save before starting.

hasakidis

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: jazz 2009
how about trying to connect an ssd drive instead of hdd since the power that requires is more because of the movable parts?

Στάλθηκε από το Mi A2 Lite μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Basil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.2 S Mk2 - GG5 & 1.5 Sport Mk3 - GK5
I don't even have a USB socket in my 2014 Jazz, is that because it's a base S model ?

hasakidis

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: jazz 2009
I don't even have a USB socket in my 2014 Jazz, is that because it's a base S model ?
probably yes, but have a look at this. worth it

#Aliexpress € 3,70  25%OFF | Biurlink DIY Car Media External USB Switch Panel USB Cable Adapter For Honda Civic Accord Jazz Fit CRV
https://a.aliexpress.com/_B0jH88

Στάλθηκε από το Mi A2 Lite μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Tags: