Author Topic: Bought a Jazz!  (Read 2594 times)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Re: Bought a Jazz!
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2020, 05:32:35 PM »
all whilst staying 2m from your neighbour and not touching anything they touch.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2020, 05:55:29 PM »
Battery charged ok, so not a failed battery (I have a CTEK charger that checks battery health).  Probably flat from sitting at the dealers for a few weeks followed by short journeys)
I don’t have the radio code card, so changing battery may be tricky, though with jump leads it should be possible to change the battery without interrupting the circuit...

Working on a battery in a tight place like a Jazz is tricky enough,  but while trying to keep the large jump lead clips on the battery clamp it can be very difficult ( although you only need positive on battery clamp , can you can clip negative to earth on engine or body ) - the large clip gets in the way when trying to undo battery clamp ( and the positive clamp has a insulating cover over it ) - if the positive jump lead or battery clamp it is attached to touches anything metal under the bonnet there will be an almighty flash....  and if the jump lead clip falls off you have lost power to car electrics anyway,  but as above if the jump lead clamp falls off and touches metal - bang...

At the moment the age of battery on your car is an unknown,  and anyway it has possibly sat on a dealers forecourt in a low state of charge for a long time then it is damaged anyway ( sulphated ),  no matter what the C-TEK says.  Get a Yuasa silver from Tayna ( for under £60 delivered in a couple of days it is a steal ) and you will have peace of mind for a least 5 years and probably longer.   I think punctures have replaced batteries as the roadside emergency service biggest call-out nowadays,  but failed batteries are still high up on their list.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 05:58:39 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ianfiat

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2020, 05:46:52 PM »
Just replaced the battery, and I can say without any doubt that the Honda Jazz has the worst battery clamp of any car I have  ever owned.
Also from the state of the retaining bolts (seized solid) I’m guessing that many seasons have passed since the battery was  changed!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2020, 06:28:22 PM »
Just replaced the battery, and I can say without any doubt that the Honda Jazz has the worst battery clamp of any car I have  ever owned.
Also from the state of the retaining bolts (seized solid) I’m guessing that many seasons have passed since the battery was  changed!

Problem with second hand cars is you are never sure how old the battery is,  and if they are over 5 years old you need to assume original battery and you need to replace it - I write the fitted date and where I purchased it from on top of the battery ( on a label if battery is black ) to remind when it was fitted ( me or next owner ) - did you get a battery from Tayna in the end ? 

Batteries degrade so slowly it is not really noticeable,  but the capacity and ability to release power get less over the years even without abuse ( letting battery get flat etc. ) and as I said electrical power steering takes over 40 amps on its own, we have had people on here cure power steering problems and fault codes by replacing battery.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ianfiat

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2020, 07:21:12 PM »
I ordered from Eurocarparts as they were offering quicker delivery.  Next time it will be Tayna though, I have used them before

ianfiat

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2020, 07:31:04 AM »
Another day, and battery flat again.
Lights and radio not switched on when left.
Any likely culprits for battery drain?

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2020, 08:29:57 AM »
Interior light
Boot light.
Are the favourites...

Remove fuses from them for a few days and see what happens..  If it solves teh problem, you know where the problem lies.
I would start with the boot light...

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2020, 09:35:38 AM »
Interior light
Boot light.
Are the favourites...

Remove fuses from them for a few days and see what happens..  If it solves teh problem, you know where the problem lies.
I would start with the boot light...

Yeah,  boot light and sometimes glovebox light,  both of which are not visible in normal circumstances,  both take about half an amp ( 5 watts ) so unlikely to flatten a decent charged battery overnight,  but if battery is low anyway could be the last straw... and 500mA parasitic drain is pretty big..

May be easier to remove bulb than to faff around in fusebox,  and fuse may feed something else as well.

ianfiat

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2020, 10:41:47 AM »
Wednesday (delivered) started ok
Thursday Flat battery
Charged over Friday (charger indicated full charge)
Saturday Started OK
Monday Flat battery
Wednesday fitted new battery
Thursday started OK
Friday started OK
Saturday started OK
Monday (today) Flat battery
Only used for short trips too (2 x 4 miles a day).

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2020, 11:04:43 AM »
Have you actually got a value for the parasitic drain current ? I know you said your meter went out of range but then you replaced batteries in the meter.

a boot light will draw 0.5amps
an aircon clutch relay sticking about 3 amps
heated screen over 10 amps

The fact that new battery lasted 3 to 4 days would point to a small drain representing something like boot or glovebox 5 watt bulb ( draining about 12 A/h per day from battery ),  as even the aircon relay ( 3 amps ) would easily drain battery in less than 12 hours.  Check interior lights in car with key out and doors closed,  would not be the first time a map light had been left on.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 11:21:56 AM by culzean »

ianfiat

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2020, 05:25:20 PM »
Just realised that I’d been taking out the ignition key in the I position rather than the 0 position- hopefully that has been the problem. 
In other news, I have found the handbook in a compartment I didn’t know existed (under rear seat squab) including the radio key card!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2020, 11:03:37 AM »
Just realised that I’d been taking out the ignition key in the I position rather than the 0 position- hopefully that has been the problem. 
In other news, I have found the handbook in a compartment I didn’t know existed (under rear seat squab) including the radio key card!

Not many people know that there is a security pocket under the nearside rear seat squab....

Taking the key out in wrong position may explain something, in aux1 the radio is still on, but there is another unmarked position between aux1 and '0'  but there is no way I can remove key in any position except '0' - maybe the lock barrel or key is worn on your Jazz ...

Tags: