Author Topic: The Beast from the East.  (Read 12155 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: The Beast from the East.
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2018, 08:34:45 PM »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2018, 08:55:48 AM »
Out of interest, what was the gender of the Mini driver who decided to implement a three point turn in the first place!

Oh well...
I somewhat doubt that the driver intended the manoeuvre. Most likely a small dollop of compacted snow triggered a change in direction which the driver wasn't able to correct. Small vehicles are the most challenging to control if the surface is lumpy.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2018, 09:01:55 AM »
The mini was trying to do a three point turn. That was why it was on the wrong side of the road as the bus came over the hill.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2018, 09:39:46 AM »
The mini was trying to do a three point turn. That was why it was on the wrong side of the road as the bus came over the hill.

Well it certainly looks like it. Either way, given the situation, probably not the Mini driver's best moment. Truth is, the standard of driving and general awareness on the roads has deteriorated. Forget the small matter of good manners for which we were renowned at one time.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2018, 09:57:24 AM »
I've watched the video again a couple of times and have to agree with you. I was confused by the car almost facing the bus whereas a proper 3 point turn whould have had the car sideways on to the bus. Perhaps the driver had seen the bus and decided it would be prudent to straighten up, albeit on the wrong side of the road. It 's also evident that the bus wasn't proceding as cautiously as I would have expected in the conditions (back to my previous point about being prepared to encounter the unexpected).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2018, 10:05:10 AM »
As the bus was coming over the brow of the hill when the driver spotted the car, she didn't have a lot of options. Probably only had enough speed on to maintain traction on the climb.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2018, 10:17:13 AM »
Driving was OK after she had started to skid because she was going too fast for the road conditions,  showing a bit of skill to get out of a situation she did not need to be in really.
Didn't look like that to me. Bus was going at a steady speed on a clear road, until the car decided to turn in the road. As an ex bus driver I think women make the best bus drivers. And there are more and more of them.

In general, I believe women are more 'teachable' than men. All starts in the classroom. That said, it takes a certain kind of woman to drive a bus or an HGV. Exception to the rule. Plenty of women drivers of varying descriptions in WW2.

Out of interest, what was the gender of the Mini driver who decided to implement a three point turn in the first place!

Oh well...

Women may be easier to teach because they are such sticklers for rules,  where men are more adventurous and this sometimes means experimenting and making their own mind up on things.  I know heaps of computer shortcuts,  but my wife simply does not want to know,  once she has learned something one way (no matter how tortuous the route) she seems to have no interest in improving things,  she really has no idea how most things in her car work and it often results in an argument if I try to explain stuff (and often I can see my brother in law in the rear seat nodding his head in sympathy).   

We are now scrapping the 'course work'  route to getting qualifications in education and going back to 'everything on final exam' (where you either know it or you don't) - they did a study in Australia when we were there and they traced back and saw a jump in girls pass rate just after their system went from 'everything on exam' to 'lots of course work' which suits girls better. But the problem is employers have complained that the 'cut and paste' mentality of course work does not translate into success when people leave the education system.  Now Oxford universty has started giving girls more time to complete certain exams in the sciences  because 'girls can't stand the stress of exams as well as boys' - welcome to the new world order.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2018, 11:19:11 AM »
The original video I saw, was not the 'same' as the Beeb one shown on the news. Yes of course it was the same but Beeb had cut some of it out. I saw the small car snaking along the road and then appeared to veer over the opposite side. On Beeb last evening they didn't have the stationary bus drivers commentary. I personally think the bus driver and it was only last evening when it was disclosed as a Lady driver, coped magnificently.
Certainly in the commentary given by the stationary bus driver, I did not get the impression that he thought the small car was trying to do a 3 point turn. Whatever, my opinion still stands, even more so if a 3 point turn was being attempted given the prevailing conditions.
The terrifying fact is motorist were doing all sorts of crazy things in conditions that many should have been home or off the road.
Idiocy was not confined to the road, commuters stuck in a train decided to get out and walk. The particular piece of track I believe it was on is incredibly busy with many tracks. It is of the third rail type. Personally, having been stuck in a train in 1957, the last thing going through mine and others mind was to get out and walk. The train I was on was roughly on the same piece of track. Why was my train held up because signals had gone to red when the Lewisham train crash happened. The passenger train hit by the steam train was either the one before mine or two before mine from Charing Cross. It was a long long walk from New Cross Gate to Sidcup. London Transport would not accept the rail tickets. It is  amazing how peoples behaviour has changed over the years.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2018, 11:22:29 AM »
Driving was OK after she had started to skid because she was going too fast for the road conditions,  showing a bit of skill to get out of a situation she did not need to be in really.
Didn't look like that to me. Bus was going at a steady speed on a clear road, until the car decided to turn in the road. As an ex bus driver I think women make the best bus drivers. And there are more and more of them.

In general, I believe women are more 'teachable' than men. All starts in the classroom. That said, it takes a certain kind of woman to drive a bus or an HGV. Exception to the rule. Plenty of women drivers of varying descriptions in WW2.

Oh well...

Women may be easier to teach because they are such sticklers for rules,  where men are more adventurous and this sometimes means experimenting and making their own mind up on things.  I know heaps of computer shortcuts,  but my wife simply does not want to know,  once she has learned something one way (no matter how tortuous the route) she seems to have no interest in improving things,  she really has no idea how most things in her car work and it often results in an argument if I try to explain stuff (and often I can see my brother in law in the rear seat nodding his head in sympathy).   

We are now scrapping the 'course work'  route to getting qualifications in education and going back to 'everything on final exam' (where you either know it or you don't) - they did a study in Australia when we were there and they traced back and saw a jump in girls pass rate just after their system went from 'everything on exam' to 'lots of course work' which suits girls better. But the problem is employers have complained that the 'cut and paste' mentality of course work does not translate into success when people leave the education system.  Now Oxford universty has started giving girls more time to complete certain exams in the sciences  because 'girls can't stand the stress of exams as well as boys' - welcome to the new world order.

Culzean

I wouldn't disagree with you. Let's say I was treading the diplomatic PC path. I did notice a couple of humourous posts were pulled this week. As you say, women are very good at rules which by and large makes them very teachable. Safety first is probably the watchword in most cases and actually addressed by one of the 'Spitfire sisters' in the You Tube vid. I didn't mention anything about initiative though. Too often seen as a threat or associated with risk. Nothing really changes on that front and it's been around since Shakespeare and beyond and he only really scratched the surface. Some of our greatest inventors and innovative thinkers were wrong until they were right. It's a fickle club. Let's face it, if you were a founder member of the 'World is flat club' and some upstart turned up and challenged your status with some outlandish notion that the world was in fact, round, you might be a bit irritated. Oh, do I hear a Brexit bell. Time for tea... :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 11:47:34 AM by MartinJG »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2018, 03:42:51 PM »

I think when a man tries to explain something to a woman he can come across as patronising lol. There's a modern word called "mansplaining" I didn't know, or couldn't work out, what this meant. I asked my daughter and she said  "it's what you do Dad - all the time."

So, avoid mansplaining, it winds them up ;D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2018, 04:37:25 PM »

I think when a man tries to explain something to a woman he can come across as patronising lol. There's a modern word called "mansplaining" I didn't know, or couldn't work out, what this meant. I asked my daughter and she said  "it's what you do Dad - all the time."

So, avoid mansplaining, it winds them up ;D

on the other hand ........

https://www.quora.com/Why-dont-feminists-call-it-womansplaining-when-they-explain-things-to-men-that-they-already-know

I enjoyed this ( a lot )

« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 04:56:08 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2018, 02:26:45 PM »
As the rain sets in and "The Beast from the East" passes into history it appears the Scottish government is considering action against employers who dock the wages of workers who followed their advice, and didn't travel during the worst of the snow. My daughter was one of those threatened with disciplinary action if she didn't travel the 50 miles to her work, even though trains and buses were off. Good oh for the Scottish government, I say.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-43272396

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2018, 05:26:02 PM »
62/63 doesn't stick in my brain. It couldn't have been too bad here, though one of my ex workmates was always going on about it.

3 meter snowdrifts outside our house in rural Banffshire. Lasted for months as the road was too narrow to be ploughed... Walked the three miles to school instead of cycling for a month..Sea frozen, ice on inside of house windows - great for a kid...School cancelled for two days then back to normal.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2018, 07:20:51 PM »
The Cliff Mitchelmore documentary "The Big Freeze" was on BBC4 the other night, a bit cheesy but some great footage of the winter of 1963.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2018, 09:33:41 PM »
Parked next to a Golf TDi today,  it had dodgy almost bald front summer tyres and pretty good snow tyres on the rear - WTF !  Hope the car did not meet the beast from the East. 

Tags:

anything