Author Topic: Reflection causes loss of sight of road  (Read 7369 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Reflection causes loss of sight of road
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2020, 08:52:39 AM »
Interesting thread, I can't say I've ever noticed this, but I do wear glasses with coatings.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2020, 09:05:59 AM »
I have found a good layer of dust on top of the dashboard helps. But yes. The dashboard on my Mk 1 is a pig for reflections.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2020, 09:07:04 AM »
Interesting thread, I can't say I've ever noticed this, but I do wear glasses with coatings.

I wear glasses with coatings too, but coatings on the glasses only reduce reflections off the surfaces of the glasses lenses themselves, not reflections off the dash, unless they are polarising. Unfortunately you can't get ordinary polarised glasses (only polarised sunglasses).

I am baffled how some people (like me) see this as a real problem in certain situations, and others never notice it.

Polarising clip-on sunglasses are the best and total solution for me.

It would be interesting for someone who doesn't notice the reflections to try polarising sunglasses and see if they see a difference.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2020, 09:09:39 AM »
I have found a good layer of dust on top of the dashboard helps. But yes. The dashboard on my Mk 1 is a pig for reflections.

We have a Mk1 and a Mk3, and previously had a Mk2.

The Mk1 is the best for this problem because it has the least sloping windscreen. The Mk2 is the worst, Mk3 slightly better than the Mk2.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2020, 09:16:46 AM »
The reflections in MK2 Jazz are pretty bad,  the Civic is pretty much 100% reflection free. Just one thing on the Civic is that there is a very narrow vertical reflection near centre upper part of screen and first time I noticed it I thought I had a cracked screen, ran my hand across dash and it disappeared ( the crack, not the dash ) so I was happy...

The Nextbase dashcams 512GW and onwards have a built in polarizing filter,  but the downside is a bit less light into the camera at night - but hey-ho...

I have a pair of very light yellow sunglasses that I wear driving her indoors MK2, and some clip-on polarising filters if I need to wear my normal glasses ( normally only need glasses in low light and at night though,  so hardly get any use ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Andyjm15

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 SE manual. Lunar silver
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2020, 09:56:19 AM »
I didn’t think the reflections in the Mk3 were particularly bad, until a combination of low sun and deep shade led to me not seeing a pedestrian at all until I saw them in my rear view mirror. It must have been very close and shook me up for several days. It’s the view from the driver seat to the near side kerb that’s severely compromised for me. I now realise it makes things virtually impossible to see.
Clip on polarised sun glasses solved the problem completely. I would not drive anywhere in sunlight without them now. The difference they make is extraordinary.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2020, 08:50:55 PM »
I found the Mk. 3 Jazz to be better than the Mk. 2 in this respect but still had problems. I think it's to do with the  angle of the windscreen and position of the eyeballs as the problem is much reduced in my HR-V with a more vertical windscreen. While polarizing sunglasses substantially reduce the glare, I have to remember to put them on (they are flip-up clip-ons) at the start of each journey in potentially sunny conditions. I'm interested in the Mk. 4 Jazz but will want a test drive in sunny conditions to establish whether the reflection of the dashboard in the windscreen is still a problem for me.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags: