Author Topic: What Car Jazz vs Yaris vs Polo group test  (Read 6404 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Re: What Car Jazz vs Yaris vs Polo group test
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2021, 08:26:55 PM »
Limited optional extras makes finding a second hand example much easier. A decade ago I briefly considered a Mini Cooper S, but it was near impossible to find any with climate control and a multi-function steering wheel (read: radio controls). On the otherhand, you are forced into buying things you don't want - the last time I checked the specs of the Honda Civic I think to get LED headlights you either were had to have leather seats (and a glassroof, I think), or bump up to the 1.5-litre engine.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2021, 10:33:58 PM »
Limited optional extras makes finding a second hand example much easier. A decade ago I briefly considered a Mini Cooper S, but it was near impossible to find any with climate control and a multi-function steering wheel (read: radio controls). On the otherhand, you are forced into buying things you don't want - the last time I checked the specs of the Honda Civic I think to get LED headlights you either were had to have leather seats (and a glassroof, I think), or bump up to the 1.5-litre engine.
You are quite right, the advantage of a limited option list means you know exactly what you are paying for the car you see advertised - not “starting from £X,000" but knowing the car you see and the one you want will be £X,000 + 25%.  As I said before I just wish the standard equipment included simple things like an auto dipping rear view mirror and height adjustable passenger seat. I can’t remember the last car I had which didn’t have an auto dipping rear view mirror. Can you?

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2021, 07:13:38 AM »
I can’t remember the last car I had which didn’t have an auto dipping rear view mirror. Can you?

That’ll be every car I’ve ever owned. I’ve always found the manual system works pretty well.

You have to remember that manufacturers and dealers are not a social service, they are in business to maximise their profits by selling cars. Withholding gizmos on their base models nudges customers towards more expensive models on which their profit margin is greater. “You want a dipping mirror and height adjustable seat? Sorry sir, not on the Jazz, now come and have a look at this Civic/CR-V/HR-V/whatever over here which does have those ...”

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2021, 10:31:55 AM »
That’ll be every car I’ve ever owned. I’ve always found the manual system works pretty well.
Me too. I owned a couple of cars (Fords) where the heater and spare wheel were optional extras. Luckily for me, both had both.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2021, 11:45:07 AM »
205/45 R17 are for race tracks, not Edinburgh's cobbled streets.

Totally agree, my 2019 MX-5 came with 205/45 R17 tyres and they would be totally out of place on a Jazz/Yaris class of car.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2021, 02:31:58 PM »
I can’t remember the last car I had which didn’t have an auto dipping rear view mirror. Can you?

You have to remember that manufacturers and dealers are not a social service, they are in business to maximise their profits by selling cars. Withholding gizmos on their base models nudges customers towards more expensive models on which their profit margin is greater. “You want a dipping mirror and height adjustable seat? Sorry sir, not on the Jazz, now come and have a look at this Civic/CR-V/HR-V/whatever over here which does have those ...”
Or of course the customer leaves the showroom and walks down the road to  the Skoda, Peugeot, Citreon, Vauxhall etc. showroom and buys a car there!
Far better if the salesman could say - “Yes Sir, now if you add the Plus Package for a mere £750 you get auto dipping mirrors, height adjustable seats and a fancy sticker, sign here please”! The profit from options is huge and would certainly maximise profits. Modern production lines can easily accommodate changes like this.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2021, 04:23:41 PM »
Far better if the salesman could say - “Yes Sir, now if you add the Plus Package for a mere £750 you get auto dipping mirrors, height adjustable seats and a fancy sticker, sign here please”! The profit from options is huge and would certainly maximise profits. Modern production lines can easily accommodate changes like this.
The salesman then adds that it's a factory option so it will have to be scheduled for the production line and that, plus shipping time means you have to wait six months but need to pay 25% deposit for your customised vehicle. So you still decide to go elsewhere.

Hence Honda's options are those which can be easily added by a dealer to the standard model. That said, some of the options you want are those where the standard fitment cold be easily replaced by the dealer with something better if that something better is available.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2021, 07:03:07 PM »
I confess I had never heard of an auto-dimming mirror until reading this thread, and was puzzled by how it works.  This video gives a good explanation, but personally I see it as a solution in search of a problem!

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2021, 10:58:05 PM »
I must admit to being surprised by peoples reaction to my suggestion that auto dipping interior mirrors should be part of original equipment. The Jazz has numerous safety devices built in including some which drivers on this forum believe could be dangerous in certain situations - lane keeping assistance etc. A rear view mirror that automatically dips when “dazzled” to prevent the driver being blinded by glare is surely as important a safety measure as many now included as standard? Yes, you can dip it yourself but so can you steer in lane, maintain a safe distance from the car in front, cruise within the speed limit and emergency stop if someone runs out in front of you. Do we really believe we shouldn’t have those safety measures included on modern cars? So why nothing as simple as an auto dipping rear view mirror?

IanG

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk4 Jazz EX
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2021, 06:10:30 AM »
On the subject of safety features, I remember owning a VW Golf which featured auto lights and wipers. The wipers would sometimes switch on automatically when dry and the lights would switch on and off as I passed by trees with the low Sun blinking through the gaps in trees. Once, the chap in front of me suddenly braked to a halt, ran to my driver’s window and aggressively asked why I was flashing him. Far from being a safety feature, I thought I was about to receive a smack in the face!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 06:13:34 AM by IanG »

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2021, 07:32:58 AM »
I must admit to being surprised by peoples reaction to my suggestion that auto dipping interior mirrors should be part of original equipment. The Jazz has numerous safety devices built in including some which drivers on this forum believe could be dangerous in certain situations - lane keeping assistance etc. A rear view mirror that automatically dips when “dazzled” to prevent the driver being blinded by glare is surely as important a safety measure as many now included as standard? Yes, you can dip it yourself but so can you steer in lane, maintain a safe distance from the car in front, cruise within the speed limit and emergency stop if someone runs out in front of you. Do we really believe we shouldn’t have those safety measures included on modern cars? So why nothing as simple as an auto dipping rear view mirror?

It’s been commented before in this forum that those safety systems are not provided due to some altruistic urge by manufacturers, they are required by law. See, for example, this:
https://safecarnews.com/safer-cars-in-the-eu/
(Yes, I know that’s EU law, but AFAIK UK is following that lead)
That’s why they are appearing even on base models. The auto-dipping mirror is not mandated in the same way so manufacturers are free to offer it, or not, as they see fit.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2021, 08:34:05 AM »
Just my opinion but I feel it can be just as dangerous for the car to catch out the driver with an unexpected response or manoevre.

If you cannot drive between 2 white lines then should you be on the road. If it's due to tiredness or texting then the same applies.

I tell you what would be a bonus, never going to happen, but auto hazzards when someone tailgates :)
Let's be careful out there !

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2021, 08:35:52 AM »

To call it a safety device is a bit of a stretch, it's a luxury item pure and simple. We have one on the CR-V and I certainly don't miss it on the Jazz. Oh, and it's not foolproof either, it can get confused by varying light levels so I put it in the same category as the lane keeping technology - unnecessary!

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2021, 10:57:44 AM »
Drivers sometimes briefly fall asleep at the wheel.  This is why I am glad to have warning if I am drifting out of lane without signalling, and why it is mandatory on new cars.  Dipping the mirror simply involves moving the left hand a few inches to flick the lever.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2021, 11:31:21 AM »
Drivers sometimes briefly fall asleep at the wheel.  This is why I am glad to have warning if I am drifting out of lane without signalling, and why it is mandatory on new cars.  Dipping the mirror simply involves moving the left hand a few inches to flick the lever.
To be honest your reply is a bit scary. I agree it is not hugely important to have an auto dipping mirror but having had one on every car I have owned for the last 20 years I would miss it. Not a deal breaker but I would miss it.

Tags:

anything