Author Topic: What Car Jazz vs Yaris vs Polo group test  (Read 6378 times)

IanG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk4 Jazz EX
What Car Jazz vs Yaris vs Polo group test
« on: April 03, 2021, 07:49:16 PM »
What Car Jazz vs Yaris vs Polo group test below.
Don’t think they really understand the eCVT configuration.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/new-honda-jazz-and-toyota-yaris-vs-volkswagen-polo-verdict/n22869

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: What Car Jazz vs Yaris vs Polo group test
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 08:43:57 PM »
Honda did themselves no favours by using the term "eCVT" rather than a completely different terms such as "ET" (electric transmission) as "CVT" makes people think there's a CVT gearbox under the bonnet. It also requires more curiosity than many reviewers have to figure out the finer details how transmission works. That the engine sounds as if it's in 1st gear when going up a hill at high speed is purely a reflection on the engine needing the revs to provide the power to get up the hill (and Honda's sound-proofing is never the best as it adds weight and encroaches on internal space). I think it's unfortunate that Honda didn't include a tachometer display option as it would help drivers appreciate better what the engine is doing (and when it's not running).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

IanG

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk4 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 05:42:05 AM »
Agree, a rev counter would be useful.
I’d imagine a rev counter could be added by Honda if the software was upgraded and displayed in the main instrument screen.
The non Hybrid mk4 Jazz displays a rev counter bar across the top edge of the main display. The battery gauge to left of main display is replaced by a water coolant gauge on non hybrid models.
I’ve attached photo showing the rev counter.
Note the the lack of steering wheel buttons and USB ports/passenger airbag disabled feature.
Also, this model has walkaway auto door locking and I think the doors lock automatically when you drive away. The manual door lock/unlock switch on driver's door is not fitted.
The colour choice appears much more extensive than in Europe, even more so in Japan where contrast roof options are also available on non Crosstar models, together with the uprated Crosstar audio system on the regular Fit Luxe model.

There's a link to some Singapore Jazz/Fit mk 4 details below:

https://www.carsandcoffee.com.sg/brand-new-cars/honda-fit/fit

The general spec appears to be lower than that of European market Jazz (only 6 airbags, halogen headlamps, manual A/C, 'traditional' roof antenna, no Honda sensing) but some features such as rear seat centre armrest, full leather seats, illuminated vanity mirrors are included on top spec Luxe model.
The colour choice appears much more extensive than in Europe, even more so in Japan where contrast roof options are also available on non Crosstar models, together with the uprated Crosstar audio system on the regular Jazz Luxe model.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 09:25:16 AM by IanG »

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 04:47:13 PM »
I really don’t see the point of a Rev counter on a hybrid. It would be showing something you have no control over and the attempted managing of it would be completely distracting. On my Toyota hybrid the equivalent is a meter showing whether you are in the Charge, Eco or Power zone. It’s enough to tell you if you are driving hard or not.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 04:57:18 PM by richardfrost »

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 04:55:48 PM »
I really don’t see the point of a Rev counter on a hybrid. It would be showing something you have no control over and the attempted managing of it would be completely distracting. On my Toyota hybrid the equivalent is a meeting showing whether you are in the Charge, Eco or Power zone. It’s enough to tell you if you are driving hard or not.
Agreed, and as the main driving power is from the electric motor with the ICE only connected to the wheels at higher speeds I can't see that a rev counter would tell you anything.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 12:37:45 PM »
Almost 4 years ago we switched from a Honda Jazz CVT to a Toyota Yaris Hybrid, because Honda did not have a new hybrid Jazz (anymore) in the range.
Our Yaris (2017, on 16-inch wheels) will most likely be replaced this year. We doubt between the new Yaris Hybrid and the Jazz.

As a real Jazz fan, I wonder if anyone has compared the new Toyota Yaris Hybrid on 17" wheels and the Jazz Executive on 16" wheels.

Maybe there is someone here in the forum who has tested both cars ...?

Space, practicality, fuel consumption, etc. are clear.
As for this comparison, we are only concerned with driving characteristics, noise level, seating and driving comfort.

A test drive is unfortunately not possible at the moment ... we have a complete lockdown here in Poland for the time being.

Thanks in advance!
If nothing goes right, go left!

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 12:57:27 PM »
Almost 4 years ago we switched from a Honda Jazz CVT to a Toyota Yaris Hybrid, because Honda did not have a new hybrid Jazz (anymore) in the range.
Our Yaris (2017, on 16-inch wheels) will most likely be replaced this year. We doubt between the new Yaris Hybrid and the Jazz.

As a real Jazz fan, I wonder if anyone has compared the new Toyota Yaris Hybrid on 17" wheels and the Jazz Executive on 16" wheels.

Maybe there is someone here in the forum who has tested both cars ...?

Space, practicality, fuel consumption, etc. are clear.
As for this comparison, we are only concerned with driving characteristics, noise level, seating and driving comfort.

A test drive is unfortunately not possible at the moment ... we have a complete lockdown here in Poland for the time being.

Thanks in advance!
Crosstar uses 185/60 R16 tyres but the comfort comparison of the 17” tyres on the Yaris will largely depend on the sidewall 50, 55 or 60, as well as the suspension set-up. Trouble is it is all relative so really you meed to try both cars yourself even if you have to wait until your lockdown eases. Hopefully your vaccination rate will accelerate so allowing you all more freedom - best of luck.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 01:21:37 PM »
The 17” tyres on the Yaris are 205/45 R17. As for the suspension set-up, the 17in alloys are combined with 'sports' suspension.
The Jazz Executive has 185/55 R16 tyres and nothing like  'sports' suspension.  ;)

Someone who has driven both cars can probably tell if there is a difference and how big that difference (if any) is between the two.
If nothing goes right, go left!

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 04:38:16 PM »
Looking at the published road tests of the new Yaris on 17/45 tyres they all imply that the ride is “firm”, which I read as uncomfortable - unless you are a young blood more intent on driving at the limit rather than for pleasure. ;D

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 04:52:37 PM »
205/45 R17 are for race tracks, not Edinburgh's cobbled streets.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2021, 01:09:57 PM »

https://www.whatcar.com/news/new-honda-jazz-and-toyota-yaris-vs-volkswagen-polo-verdict/n22869
The group test is not comparing like for like and therefore highly flawed, the Polo in the test is simply a  contemporary car with three-pedal manual transmission and not comparable to  the advanced specification of an easy to drive two-pedal hybrid  transmission  by Toyota or Honda, Price a Polo for the VW DSG automatic gearbox and the Polo is £800 more than the Jazz, then add the recommended extras to the Polo to the DSG and the price of the Polo exceeds the Jazz by  £1600 or more. A very poor showing by What Car, perhaps VW did not release a DSG Polo to What Car for fear of the adverse comparison

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2021, 02:23:41 PM »

The group test is not comparing like for like and therefore highly flawed, the Polo in the test is simply a  contemporary car with three-pedal manual transmission and not comparable to  the advanced specification of an easy to drive two-pedal hybrid  transmission  by Toyota or Honda, Price a Polo for the VW DSG automatic gearbox and the Polo is £800 more than the Jazz, then add the recommended extras to the Polo to the DSG and the price of the Polo exceeds the Jazz by  £1600 or more. A very poor showing by What Car, perhaps VW did not release a DSG Polo to What Car for fear of the adverse comparison

I totally agree. I wonder if I'm the only one who uses car configurators just to pass the time :) I tried speccing a Polo recently and the lowish headline price was very deceptive. £1600 over the Jazz for a similar spec seems about right once you had added a few extras.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2021, 03:31:59 PM »

I totally agree. I wonder if I'm the only one who uses car configurators just to pass the time :) I tried speccing a Polo recently and the lowish headline price was very deceptive. £1600 over the Jazz for a similar spec seems about right once you had added a few extras.
I am just getting my head around the fact that there are virtually no extra options available for the Crosstar (apart from dealer supplied mats etc.).  Certainly makes decision making easier although I would have liked the option to add height adjustable passenger seat and heated windscreen! Is this because the cars all come from Japan and are not made to order like many European made cars?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2021, 04:20:01 PM »

I am just getting my head around the fact that there are virtually no extra options available for the Crosstar (apart from dealer supplied mats etc.).  Certainly makes decision making easier although I would have liked the option to add height adjustable passenger seat and heated windscreen! Is this because the cars all come from Japan and are not made to order like many European made cars?

The Japs have always put loads of equipment in cars that is an optional extra on German stuff, same with German motorbikes,  the price rockets when you start adding 'extras'....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2021, 04:34:31 PM »

The Japs have always put loads of equipment in cars that is an optional extra on German stuff, same with German motorbikes,  the price rockets when you start adding 'extras'....
I see that because to spec many alternatives to a Jazz standard the price balloons dramatically. The only downside is that you can’t  spec the car to meet your particular requirements. However, I guess that is the price you pay for buying a car made in Japan half a world away! Just wish they included things like auto dimming interior mirror and height adjustable passenger seat in the original equipment list - those really are basic items.

Tags: