Author Topic: I hath changed the sparkplugs  (Read 1656 times)

FordPrefect8

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2012 EX 1.4 Manual Red
I hath changed the sparkplugs
« on: August 12, 2020, 10:22:20 PM »
Today I managed to change spark plugs, it took pretty much 2h including quick MB ride to the nearest Halfords as it turned out my deep socket set wouldn't fit in the port when it came to taking them out.

Old plugs were OEM and very nicely worn - off brownish colour, just like you want and nice combustion pattern on ground electrode, relatively low fouling on the ring considering they've done 78k miles. Piston no. 3 had plug ever so slightly loose and minimal signs of caking on thread.

Engine now sounds better than ever. I really love my little Jazz.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
Re: I hath changed the sparkplugs
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 11:01:36 PM »
I remember they are not cheap. But at least you don't need to change them regularly.

FordPrefect8

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 05:00:14 PM »
I remember they are not cheap. But at least you don't need to change them regularly.

Pretty much £50 with delivery from Opie Oils, the videos on YouTube make it appear way more fiddly than it really is but have range of socket extensions ready :)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 06:13:18 PM »

Its only little on the outside, it is bigger inside than some cars a class size above  ;D 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 07:02:20 PM »
I hope to get my plugs changed in the next week or two. I have the plugs purchased, I just need to get my mechanic off the golf course for an afternoon. The plugs that are in have done almost 32,000 miles, so well overdue changing, but the car still runs sweet as a nut.

FordPrefect8

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 08:39:17 PM »

Its only little on the outside, it is bigger inside than some cars a class size above  ;D

This is very true, I moved recently so appreciated every cubic inch of its loading space!

FordPrefect8

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 08:46:04 PM »
I hope to get my plugs changed in the next week or two. I have the plugs purchased, I just need to get my mechanic off the golf course for an afternoon. The plugs that are in have done almost 32,000 miles, so well overdue changing, but the car still runs sweet as a nut.

If you've got iridium plugs last time then they're probably still fine, the ones I took are sure to be factory installed OEMs and they've done 78k no probs! However, since it's YOU, I assume you used copper/nickel ones :D

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 09:38:59 PM »
I don't know what you mean by "since it's YOU", but the Mk 1 doesn't use Iridium plugs. The manual says NKG BKR6E-11 and the sites selling plugs quote NKG BKR6E-11. That's what I use—eight at a time.

DomnicZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 1.4 SE MK1
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 09:47:48 PM »
Interesting point.
My MK1 CVT has no mention of spark plugs in the service record. Perhaps it's something that's not normally mentioned. My last tank returning 53MPG, so I assume all plugs are sparking , but after reading through this forum about coils susceptible to damage at high gap widths, I think I'll get my spark plugs changed, just Incase the originals are still in at 92K!
I was looking to see if iridium ones are available for the MK1? . Cox motorparts as well as eurocarparts seem to only stock the standard ones. As usual any help would be greatly appreciated.
My Jazz: 2004 CVT

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 09:14:13 AM »
Interesting point.
My MK1 CVT has no mention of spark plugs in the service record. Perhaps it's something that's not normally mentioned. My last tank returning 53MPG, so I assume all plugs are sparking , but after reading through this forum about coils susceptible to damage at high gap widths, I think I'll get my spark plugs changed, just Incase the originals are still in at 92K!
I was looking to see if iridium ones are available for the MK1? . Cox motorparts as well as eurocarparts seem to only stock the standard ones. As usual any help would be greatly appreciated.

NGK BKR6EIX-11 is given on the upgrade chart from NGK,  OK, £10 each so £80 for IDSi - personally I would just replace rear ones with Iridium as the front ones are so easy to get to - and Iridium will give the rear coils an easier time due to finer electrode needing less voltage to create a spark ( rear coils are the usual suspects because of leaving plugs in too long but also because the coils are on hotter part of engine near exhaust manifold ).  Also the special coating on NGK iridium plug threads guarantees the plugs will be easy to remove in future ( If you ever need to as they are good for 70,000 miles + ).

https://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/assets/Uploads/NGK_Upgrades.pdf

https://opieoils.resultspage.com/search?secure=1&w=BKR6EIX-11
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 10:15:41 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

DomnicZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 1.4 SE MK1
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 04:34:17 PM »
Thanks Culzean. Very practical suggestion. Given that my mileage is about 3K a year it will be many years before I hit the 25K limit of normal plugs. Don’t know if the rest of my car will hold up that long. ( or me for that matter given the way the worlds changing of late! ) however, I’ll be optimistic and put in the iridium ones at the rear, definitely worth it if it can help reduce risk of coil failure even by a bit!
My Jazz: 2004 CVT

FordPrefect8

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2020, 10:52:56 AM »
I don't know what you mean by "since it's YOU", but the Mk 1 doesn't use Iridium plugs. The manual says NKG BKR6E-11 and the sites selling plugs quote NKG BKR6E-11. That's what I use—eight at a time.

By that I meant that you come across as very competent in Jazz mechanics, so I assumed you must have used standard plugs, had no idea mk1 doesn’t use iridium ones.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2020, 03:22:58 PM »
By that I meant that you come across as very competent in Jazz mechanics
I was a skilled mechanic once, but soon learned that I could do an overtime shift fixing the equipment I maintained and was good at and pay for a mechanic to fix the car (that way if I broke something or needed a part I hadn't reckoned on, I went to the stores and got it). Then my daughter married a mechanic and I no longer needed to work the overtime. The only problem I have now is getting him off the golf course.
He is going to do my service in two days.

davidif

• Registered Member
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2020, 12:00:41 PM »
I cant really add to what has been said. but i did laugh out loud when i read the title.

I thought that maybe Shakespeare has been indulging in a little car maintenance!!

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2020, 01:06:11 PM »
I cant really add to what has been said. but i did laugh out loud when i read the title.

I thought that maybe Shakespeare has been indulging in a little car maintenance!!

"A car, a car, my kingdom for a car..." :o

Tags: