Author Topic: Boot  (Read 929 times)

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
Boot
« on: August 10, 2020, 12:20:30 PM »
Just came to open car and can't open boot!! All doors OK, and tried another key, no joy. Tried locking and opening a few times still no joy, it does click and you can feel movement when holding boot handle, but still says locked!!!

Any ideas, thanks

Mike

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Boot
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 12:28:17 PM »
Lock the car, make sure the boot latch handle is fully retracted, then unlock.

The handle siezes and doesn't return fully to the 'home' position... it won't unlock unless it does. A bit of silicone spray on the handle pivots to lubricate, and a bit of work, usually fixes it for a while.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 01:58:40 PM »
Lock the car, make sure the boot latch handle is fully retracted, then unlock.
Pushed fully towards the front of the car.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 03:04:12 PM »
Actually it is corrosion between the handle and the bracket that it pivots in ( which stops the release flap returning to its fully spring return home position ( which is fully towards front of car ) - you can push the release handle fully forward towards front of car and lock and unlock the car doors to allow mechanism to reengage with release mechanism -then tailgate should open normally ), it is accessible from outside of car ( under the plastic trim piece above number plate ) - a bit of lubrication and moving the handle a few times normally cures it
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 04:43:44 PM »
I spray "3 in 1 oil" in every summer (other oils are available), after mine stuck about a week after buying the car. Never had any further issues.

coffeecup

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 06:00:42 PM »
Thank you sparky, that did it,will take cover off and give a bit of juice on.

Mike

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 07:48:48 PM »
Thank you sparky, that did it,will take cover off and give a bit of juice on.

Mike

No need to take any covers off - just lift the tailgate up about 1/3 of the way and look above number plate under the black trim where the numberplate lights live,  you will see the lever easily nestled in between the two lights - just squirt a bit of decent lubricant each side of the lever onto the hinge bit - work it a few times and it should be OK for quite a while...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: