Author Topic: Battery failure  (Read 4917 times)

jazzblack

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Battery failure
« on: May 12, 2020, 02:18:32 PM »
2012 Jazz 1.4 auto battery died yesterday in the house garage exactly 4 years and 4 days since new.  AA have delivery and fitting service for members and non members.  Ordered online then within two hours AA fitted a Yuasa YBX 3054 (5 year guarantee) for £100 being less than some online vendors prices without delivery.  AA man said the worst thing to do is listen to the radio while engine is switched off as battery drain is excessive.   He said Yuasa is better than Bosch.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Battery failure
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 05:16:52 PM »
If anyones present battery getting near 5 years old now is a good time to buy a Yuasa YBX5054 from Tayna - this price is insane and £10 cheaper than I paid a few months ago ( and about £60 cheaper than Halfrauds)  -  40 A-h and 5 year guarantee.   I replace our car and motorbike batteries at around 5 years whether they have given trouble or not, and at Tayna prices it really is a no brainer.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/yuasa/ybx5054/

Tayna say smaller ( 36 a/h ) YBX3054 no longer available from manufacturer !!! 

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/yuasa/ybx3054/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest7099

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 05:58:11 PM »
Plus one for Tayna.. Following Culzean’s comments on an earlier thread I bought a Yuasa YBX5054 for £45.88 delivered in less than 48 hours around a week ago.

Incidentally, this replaced the original Furukawa battery with a date code of 4/4/11 which is amazing.

Thanks for the Tayna recommendation Culzean

jazzblack

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 03:20:29 PM »
 Thanks Culzean and MikeC.  Seems I was overcharged by AA even for a now obsolete Yuasa battery but I was stuck in lockdown with no battery and pleased that AA arrived and installed it within 2 hours.

jazzblack

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 03:31:52 PM »
Thanks Culzean and MikeC.  Seems I was overcharged by AA even for a now obsolete Yuasa battery but I was stuck in lockdown with no battery and pleased that AA arrived and installed it within 2 hours.

I'm the world's biggest cheapskate, but I think that was fair enough. If you want someone to come out to you and fit a battery, they're not going to do it for nothing.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 03:39:14 PM »
Seems I was overcharged by AA
Don't look at it that way. You were stuck and then you weren't. You didn't get your hands dirty and in two hours you were on your way.
I had a similar experience with the RAC. I was stuck. Van arrived within the hour. Varta battery with 5-year guarantee fitted for £81. Went into work the next day (motor factor) and they could have supplied an Exide for about half the price. But half the price the next day was no use to me sitting at the side of the road.
Don't fret. Over your ownership of the car, it will end up a drop in the ocean.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 04:01:38 PM »

jazzblack

As others have said you were stuck - and then you weren't !

That is exactly why I replace a battery as soon as the guarantee is up - especially in my wifes car - don't want her stuck somewhere - when you have a breakdown you are in the hands of others - when you replace early or on time ( just about the time the warranty expires ) you can choose a bargain.  A lot of car batteries now come with 4 or 5 year warranty but motorbike batteries ( even the expensive ones only get a 1 year warranty - don't ask me why, but may be because motorbike charging systems are not as sophisticated as car ones ( and maybe vibration ),  and even the big bikes ( mine is a vee twin ) only get a 12 A-h battery - so not much spare capacity on it.

There are many online places like Tayna where you can get quality batteries at very good prices ( and due to their large turnover you get a battery that is fresh )  - but I found their prices are probably the best or amongst the best and their delivery is spot on.

As I said earlier the battery is probably the most ignored and mis-understood part of the car,  and they normally lose capacity so slowly that it goes unnoticed - it is only when you fit a new one and notice how much faster the engine turns over that you realise...   Also modern cars with electrical power steering have to provide over 40 amps when you turn the steering wheel,  that is a lot to ask,  throw in the large aircon and engine radiator fans,  heated screens and mirrors, electric windows ( can draw 20 amps each ). 

I would write the date battery was fitted on the top of your battery,  that gives you a reminder when it was fitted - and when to replace it ( you or the next owner ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 12:50:14 PM »
Hi,
Don't  know how old the bosch battery is on my 2011 jazz, couldn't find any useful numbers but as the standing voltage was a bit down and it was sluggish turning over I just ordered the yuasa battery from tayna, thanks chaps, should see me and the car out,
Chrisvesey

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 05:39:02 PM »
Hi,
Battery  arrived from tanya, took two days using Yodel who seem much better than they used to be, tracked all the way. Easy  to swap over using power pack to save settings  but what a pain in the bum getting the clamp bolts back in place, all done now,
Happy bunny,
Chris

eagle123

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 se gd series
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2020, 09:49:59 PM »
Had my battery replaced over a year ago £73 cox motors it was for my Honda civic 2.2

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Gzbev

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz se
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2020, 07:07:06 PM »
Don’t forget if your car has start/stop technology, you will need a different, much more expensive battery

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2020, 05:00:34 AM »
In general either the quality of batteries or alternators - or both - have improved much in last 25 years. In 80's and early 90's car batteries went dead typically in 3-4 years in Finnish conditions, but in my 2000 Peugeot the original battery lasted 9½ years and the replacement Trane battery has already lasted 10 years. My wife's 1999 Honda CR-v has the same Varta battery it had when we bought it seven years ago, and even then the battery was not new. I'm curious to see how it will be with our new Jazz.

I change car's battery only after it shows signs of giving up. We have always various means to jump start the car at our home - or get another car.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 05:02:20 AM by TnTkr »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2020, 10:08:27 AM »
The charging systems on cars have improved massively in last 20 years, with variable output alternators ( by varying excitation current of rotor ) and the ELD ( electrical load detector ) on battery meaning charging of battery is more closely monitored.  So no more boiling batteries - and of course batteries have also improved with silver and calcium alloys ( they do not need topping up any more and are truly maintenance free ) and AGM ( absorbed glass mat ) separators meaning less electrolyte, more vibration resistance,  and the active material is held tightly into the grid ( it used to fall out, collect at the bottom of cell and eventually short the cell plates out ).

I change car's battery only after it shows signs of giving up. We have always various means to jump start the car at our home - or get another car.

How the rich people live, when their battery fails they get another car ! 

When you can get a Yuasa Silver for less than £60 for five years ( or £1 per month ) I have no problem replacing a battery every 5 years....
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 10:11:25 AM by culzean »

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2020, 10:19:23 AM »
As none of our cars (except the new Jazz) have ELD and I suppose no variable output alternator either, I would praise improved battery technologies.

How the rich people live, when their battery fails they get another car ! 

Ha! We live in a place and situation, where a spare car is a necessity for daily life. "Another car" is 25+ years old semi-hobby car or light truck, either of which is worth less than a set of new tyres.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 10:34:58 AM by TnTkr »

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2020, 11:46:03 AM »
Never had a problem with me 1969 vintage Morris 1000. Still had a crank handle even as late as then. Only needed it twice as far as i remember.

Tags: