Author Topic: Jump start on CVT?  (Read 1691 times)

TheFlyingPostman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ 1.4 i-DSI CVT 2007
Jump start on CVT?
« on: July 08, 2019, 07:40:01 AM »
Hello, other day I had a battery flat  >:(, I was near down the hill I was not sure if it would damage my CVT if I push down the hill to jump start the engine but instead I call the RAC. The RAC said I did right thing not to jump start on automatic car is not like manual put in first and push it release the clutch start engine.

Can someone explain why I can't jump start on auto? I am not well know engineering of cars how it works.
thanks.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Jump start on CVT?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 08:09:07 AM »
I'm not sure about the CVT, but the mechanisms inside most modern conventional automatics are worked by an hydraulic pump driven off the input (engine) side of the gearbox, so bump starting is not an option - nothing inside the gearbox will engage until the engine is running.

It's not advisable to even try bumping, you may damage the gearbox.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 08:16:28 AM »
I had automatics for 25 years, prior to getting my Jazz, and the most important accessory you can have is a substantial set of jump leads!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 08:55:10 AM »
It is vitally important on an automatic / CVT to have a really good battery ( and as Jocko says a nice substantial set of jump leads ) - this means changing it when warranty runs out and not trying to squeeze extra 'borrowed time' out of it.  Also write the date it was installed on top of battery in an easily visible place, either on a sticky label or in permanent pen - it will be useful to you, but if you sell the car it will be useful for the next owner.... I have done this for many years on cars and motorbikes I have owned and it just reminds you how old the battery is, which is easy to forget until it fails.

Some will advise a booster pack - but most of them are kept in glove boxes and never hardly charged so when you need them most they will be flat...........

And as SparkyP rightly says it can damage an auto / CVT box trying to bump start the car ££££'s....
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 09:32:41 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 12:36:35 PM »
Some will advise a booster pack - but most of them are kept in glove boxes and never hardly charged so when you need them most they will be flat...........

....and in my case the charging connector gets lost. ::)

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 08:48:33 AM »

....and in my case the charging connector gets lost. ::)

Which is why when I buy them, it has to have a normal USB charging point, eg micro or "C". So any lead can charge it.

Got a booster for my partners old Audi and it works just fine, even if it's not fully charged.

Tags: