Author Topic: Check Engine Light/Loud Noise/Something loose!  (Read 3004 times)

Mekon

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2004
Check Engine Light/Loud Noise/Something loose!
« on: June 29, 2019, 06:01:42 PM »
Hi all, hope you can help.

I’ve got a 2006 Jazz DSI SE, about 60k on the clock, no major service issues.

An issue seemingly out of nowhere where the Check Engine Light is on, the engine now sounds - in my laypersons opinion - like a boy racer’s with a muffled exhaust(?). It’s louder when idle and much louder when the pedal is applied.

I notice that something has come loose underneath the front driver’s wheel area (photo attached). Also on the ground under the car were two bits of presumably related plastic (photo attached).

Nothing in the previous journey and parking suggested there was an issue, other than the car’s creaky suspension (again my layperson’s speak) when getting out of the car. This issue has been happening intermittently for some time, and was apparently not picked up in the last MoT.

Any thoughts /next steps would be greatly welcome. Not sure if the car can be driven at low speed to the nearest garage a mile or so away..

Cheers

Mekon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
Re: Check Engine Light/Loud Noise/Something loose!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 06:27:17 PM »
Looking on other posts, it seems I may be another victim of cat converter sensor theft. Looking down through the engine, I can definitely see a loose white cable..

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 06:31:28 PM »
I was just going to suggest that you checked the cat  :(

It's not the sensors they want, it's the cat. The plastic hanging down covers the wiring to the exhaust sensors, they rag them off at the same time.

What the hell is happening this week? Obviously scrap cat prices are up... watch out everyone  >:(
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 06:33:24 PM by sparky Paul »

culzean

• Approved Member
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 07:04:48 PM »
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/09/11/gangs-stripping-cars-ofcatalyticconverters-broad-daylight-steal/

Jazz is mentioned in this article..

I think that precautionary measures will need to be taken. I can't see that security marking the cats will help much, as advised in the article.

A quick google reveals that there are such things as alarms for cat converters and other anti-theft devices, I wonder if we can improvise something?  ;)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 08:06:40 PM by sparky Paul »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 08:55:19 PM »
Now they have made it harder for low life scrotes to take plaques from military memorials and drain covers to scrapyards they are looking for other easy pickings.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 09:57:10 PM »
Now they have made it harder for low life scrotes to take plaques from military memorials and drain covers to scrapyards they are looking for other easy pickings.

It doesn't stop the gits, only a couple of months ago 130 drain covers were stolen in one night in a small town near me. They know where to take the stuff.

Mekon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 08:40:12 AM »
Thanks all,

Part of the reason why I’ve been happy with the Jazz for so long is that it’s quite an..anonymous car on a London street filled with the usual “fancier” types.

(There’s also been a spate of people taking the entire front panel off Fiat 500’s - apparently this can be done easy if they pry open the bonnet)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 09:03:21 AM »
So, has the cat been nicked?

If it has, you can drive it a short way, but it will be noisy! I'm sad to say that replacement by a garage won't be a cheap affair. :(

By the way, welcome to the forum... and your creaky suspension when getting out is probably just the handbrake, ours does that sometimes.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 09:06:48 AM by sparky Paul »

wr_uk

• Registered Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 08:57:35 PM »
Hi Mekon, did you get to the bottom of what the problem was?

My wife parked at a 'supervised' car park for most of the day. All OK with the car this morning until she come to pick it up this evening.

Started the car, the engine light came on and when she started it, it sounds like a boy racer with a muffled exhaust.

Exactly as you stated.

Im unable to get right under the car to see if anything has been taken but my initial thoughts before I looked on this forum is that the car had been tampered with.

Just wondering if it turn out to be the CAT that was taken?

If it was how much was the replacement cost inc labour?

My cars just come back from a service 2 weeks ago dreading to think how much this will cost.

wr_uk

• Registered Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 09:37:36 PM »
Yep definitely gone

Denis

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2019, 10:09:04 PM »
Mine is being repaired after being taken last week, a bill for £360 for parts and labour awaits me.

Tags: