Author Topic: Would You Buy Another Mk4  (Read 35444 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Would You Buy Another Mk4
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2020, 02:24:43 PM »
Looks OK, thanks.
Let's be careful out there !

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2020, 12:00:21 PM »
I know I'll find out in due course but does the new Jazz CVT allow 'creep' like a standard auto ?

I do like to reverse into the garage on the brake pedal.....slowly does it ........

Mellorshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2020, 01:38:28 PM »
I have crept up my drive in reverse. I think you may need an initial touch on the accelerator to get it moving.

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2020, 05:44:07 PM »
It’ll creep by default. You only need to apply throttle when the parking brake is engaged - at which point it’ll disengage and start to creep.

On topic, I would absolutely buy another one - as long as it’s eHEV or PHEV. Hopefully not for a while yet, though!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2020, 06:14:30 PM »
Thanks

I'll find out on the test drive but I don't want to go down the same road as my 2007 iShift. That didn't 'creep' but used to reverse me down my driveway at some speed, with no throttle, because the clutch was fully engaged.

To slow it down you press the brake, but, what the iShift did was fully disconnect drive so you stopped. Then pressing the throttle to get going again, no matter how gentle, and off it went, too fast.

My neighbours commented I was kangarooing into my garage. Start stop start stop. Worst gearbox I've ever used.

With a torque converter auto there is no need to press the throttle at all, just control the reversing speed with the brake pedal.

I'm hoping the Honda CVT is closer to a torque converter as slow speed than an 'automated manual'

TiJazz

• Approved Member
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2020, 06:45:17 PM »
It’s exactly like a normal auto. All electric cars tend to behave in this way - remember the Honda is electric drive, and the engine is simply a generator. The CVT is never linked to the wheels.

Foksadure

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2020
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2020, 10:43:02 PM »
The CVT is never linked to the wheels.

The car would hardly move then. :D

If you meant the ICE, it seems it is sometimes powering the front axle.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12624.msg90600#msg90600

But most of the time, the car feels like an EV, which is just brilliant IMHO.

TiJazz

• Approved Member
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2020, 02:17:04 PM »
The electric motor is linked to the wheels - the CVT for the engine is linked to the generator.

But yes, the ICE is clutched in as a fixed ratio at high speed.

Foksadure

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2020
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2021, 09:16:13 PM »
But since there is no real CVT, it's all fixed ratio and managed through a clever use of clutch, be it mechanical or electrical.

The e:HEV is basically a petrol powered EV.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 09:27:10 PM by Foksadure »

TiJazz

• Approved Member
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2021, 12:32:01 AM »
Yup - that’s why I have one!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2021, 04:31:28 AM »
Looking forward to a Crosstar test drive next month then I'll take it from there.

I love my 9G Civic but it's 8 next month and I wonder about the headunit parts given that my Alpine unit was discontinued in 2015. It's only done 24k, has zero problems but a downsize and new car is tempting.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2021, 12:31:57 PM »
But since there is no real CVT, it's all fixed ratio and managed through a clever use of clutch, be it mechanical or electrical.
See this for an excellent demonstration of how the eCVT works
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2021, 04:47:46 PM »
See this for an excellent demonstration of how the eCVT works.

Thanks for this John. Really fascinating. Watched the whole thing, which is unusual for me. Often I would get bored and switch off.

The one burning question for me after watching this is how the wiring works. With both motors spinning in that same axis, how are the cables connected for power in and out? It seems like the whole thing is spinning and there are no stationary parts to attach to.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2021, 05:05:18 PM »
See this for an excellent demonstration of how the eCVT works.

Thanks for this John. Really fascinating. Watched the whole thing, which is unusual for me. Often I would get bored and switch off.

The one burning question for me after watching this is how the wiring works. With both motors spinning in that same axis, how are the cables connected for power in and out? It seems like the whole thing is spinning and there are no stationary parts to attach to.

There is no wiring to the moving part of the motor ( the rotor ) which can either be permanent magnets or the magnetic field is taken from the stator windings ( fixed ) as in an induction motor ( where the magnetism is 'induced' into stator of iron laminations by a aluminium 'squirrel cage'
That carries the induced magnetising current ).  The presenter did show the stator windings for the drive motor early in the video ( 6 min 20 sec ),  within an aluminium casting that bolted onto the casing of the drive, the stator windings for the generator would be in another aluminium casting bolted onto top of drive casing.

In Honda case the rotors are permanent magnet type. With a 3 phase winding in the stator,  three seperate windings where the voltage / current flows are 120 degrees out of phase to produce a rotating magnetic field that the stator magnets will follow.  The generator bit is like the alternator in a normal car but bigger ( and the alternator on a car has a wound rotor with slipring electrical supply, to vary the output power ), the rotating permanent magnets induce current in the stationary windings...again probably 3 phase which is turned into direct current for the battery or drive motor inverter by the generating inverters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_motor

Attached is a PDF with various motor designs

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 07:25:58 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: