Author Topic: Temperature indicator seems to be on a lot  (Read 585 times)

David_B

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1st Gen
Temperature indicator seems to be on a lot
« on: May 13, 2020, 04:23:42 PM »
The blue C sign on the right hand side of the dash board, indicating a cold engine I think, seems to be on a lot (but not always) on my car. Could something have gone wrong? what would the knock on impact to the car be?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Temperature indicator seems to be on a lot
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 06:39:15 PM »
A faulty thermostat could cause the blue light to stay on for a long time.

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 09:09:18 PM »
With a cheap bluetooth OBD reader you can monitor the coolant temperature live. Plug it in, start the car and watch the temperature raise. I did this to test the fan as I had never heard it come on. Sure enough the temperature raised to a certain temp (can't remember 96C?) and the fan came on and the coolant temperature dropped right down.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 09:20:58 PM »
With a cheap bluetooth OBD reader you can monitor the coolant temperature live. Plug it in, start the car and watch the temperature raise. I did this to test the fan as I had never heard it come on. Sure enough the temperature raised to a certain temp (can't remember 96C?) and the fan came on and the coolant temperature dropped right down.

I have rarely if ever had the fan come on on any Honda i have had,  maybe on a hot day in heavy traffic.  Had a Fiat Punto years ago ( it was my wifes and she like the shape and colour - you learn not to argue   :-X that car was a badly built money pit, and fan was on all the time,  even ran on after ignition was turned off which was a bit disconcerting to still have fan running as you walked away from parked car,  radio also stayed on with ignition key out,  so if you didn't turn radio off and left it for a few days the battery was flat - what is is about italians and electricity ? ). 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 09:21:14 PM »
My ScanGauge indicates the coolant temperature (it plugs into OBD port). If I remember correctly, the blue light goes out at 55°C. My fan has never come on, but my coolant temperature has never exceeded 93°C.
I had a spell one winter when the blue light was taking longer to go out (it usually went out at the same point on the way to my wife's work). Then I found I had the heater set to hot with the fan running (I usually leave the temperature control set to cold until the blue light goes out).

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 11:47:00 AM »
Checked this morning and the blue light goes out as soon as 55°C coolant temperature is reached. A defective thermostat can cause a delay in this temperature being achieved, especially in cold weather.

Tags: