Author Topic: Rear wiper blade  (Read 24709 times)

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
Re: Rear wiper blade
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2024, 05:04:27 PM »
Even though I am not Scotts, or from Yorkshire, I have been known to economise with the rear wiper blade. If I need to renew one of the front blades, I save the old blade which is usually only split at the end, and slide the rubber out of its housing. I then chop out the middle section, and voilą, I have a usable blade for the rear. Good at speeds up to 10 mph!

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2024, 04:21:06 PM »
Even though I am not Scotts, or from Yorkshire, I have been known to economise with the rear wiper blade. If I need to renew one of the front blades, I save the old blade which is usually only split at the end, and slide the rubber out of its housing. I then chop out the middle section, and voilą, I have a usable blade for the rear. Good at speeds up to 10 mph!
Another prophetic post !  I'm in eastern europe  at present trying to find a  replacement rear wiper. If all else fails  it looks to be quite easy to replace just the rubber part  using a bit of ingenuity and a new donor front blade  that only costs £1.09  :o . The quality doesnt matter , it  would only be in service for about 3 days  (which may be dry anyway)  until I can get  a proper replacement in the UK.

Being half Scottish I also looked into the price of replacement Bosch front blades . I cant find AR15U or AR 26U.     But they do sell Bosch Aero Eco   blades   . The 15 " size was on special offer   (I think they had over stocked)   £2.18  :o   -genuine Bosch .  The 26"  size aero eco  was  a more realistic  £8   . These would fit.

But I did some research and decided against them.       The eco blades have  a variety of universal fittings that can look a bit clunky.  Also Bosch themselves admit the eco blades use  lesser rubber technology ,and graphite coating  , which have a shorter service life and lower performance than aero twins. Interesting that other similar priced brands  such as Valeo still brag about a graphite coating.    I found aero twins for about £12, but not with the correct fitting.   :(

Here is the info given by Bosch. 

https://www.boschaftermarket.com/xrm/media/images/parts/xx_pdfs_7/mkw_wba_handelsfolder_pkw_baukasten_2018_en_79089_1808567_en.pdf

Update. I have done the temporary fix  by re rubbering   . The replacement rubber was virtually identical in profile and I reused the existing stainless steel side strip springs.    Quite easy  and a secure fit.    But I  will get a proper replacement asap. Brings back memories of my younger days when it was common to buy replacement rubbers rather than a whole new blade.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 12:48:48 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2024, 10:40:09 PM »
Just fitted a full set of Bosch Aero Twins.  Excellent.  Easy to fit.  As I'm from Yorkshire, I did wrestle with my conscience a bit over t'cost, but decided t'borrow t'money from t'missus, so that problem went away, I dare say.

Happliy living in Sussex these days - 19 years now.  Still finding it hard to part with money, but the feeling seems to be easing.   :-[

Tags:

anything