Author Topic: Retrofit OEM cruise control  (Read 33596 times)

Pegasakidis

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda jazz 2010
Re: Retrofit OEM cruise control
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2021, 12:14:35 AM »
and yes!!!!!! installing cruise control IS possible!
i just installed with some wiring late night and i can confirm that is working like sweet!!

what i bought

*steering wheel with cc buttons
*clutch switch b as the manual describes it
*brake switch with 4 contacts
* new steering spiral clock spring wiring from eBay for less than 15 euros

mods that needed
3 wires from the steering spiral clock to the instrument dashboard
2 wires from the pedal switches to the ECU

the pins that i used came from an old pc from my basement!

and of course, no activation was needed to the ECU

that's all!!!! feel free to ask everything!!!

Στάλθηκε από το MAR-LX1A μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 12:16:21 AM by Pegasakidis »

ianhj

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 Si
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2021, 08:25:51 PM »
Well done!!

I've been thinking about possibly doing this for sometime but haven't found anyone who has been successful.

With the help of the pin connections  described in TG's post on Page 1, I think I can work out the extra two wires for the brake switch and the clutch switch. Still a little bit unsure about the three wires to the instrument connector from the steering spiral clock. Also why is a new one required - could you not use the existing one?

Any extra advice or tips would be gratefully received. Do you have a link to eBay for the steering spiral clock wiring?

Many thanks

Ian

Pegasakidis

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda jazz 2010
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2021, 08:49:52 PM »
about the 3 wires to the instrument, go for it without fear....just, measure 3, act 1

new clock spring it's a must since some pins_wires are missing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/77900TA0H12-Spiral-Clock-Spring-For-Honda-Accord-2008-12-Jazz-2009-12-/274876233775?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

have in mind that although it is compatible as it is described, the yellow sockets for the airbag, are a little difficult to connect them....but there is always a way to do it
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 08:54:20 PM by Pegasakidis »

ianhj

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2021, 10:03:23 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

Re the clock spring I now understand.

Many thanks

« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 12:28:09 PM by ianhj »

oitar

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz '13 CVT
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2022, 07:23:16 AM »
Hi all, sorry to resurrect an old thread. I am going to try and enable the CC on my 2013 Jazz CVT with stock audio controls on the steering wheel.
Looks like the pinout might be different, compared to the previous post.
If somebody already did this, can you please specify where is the best place/s to attach the extra wires coming from the new CC buttons, and extra Brake switch contacts? Where are the PCM and GCM modules situated.
If anyone is interested, I will post regular updates on the progress.

ianhj

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2022, 08:27:39 PM »
I never went ahead and did this. Struggled to find a good condition second hand steering wheel as our car doesn't have the cruise control buttons built in.

I did though find this wiring diagram (well one page of it). May be of some use.

Hope you are able to get it sorted.

https://portal-diagnostov.com/en/2020/04/07/cruise-control-honda-fit-2012-system-wiring-diagrams/

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2022, 10:02:21 AM »
As someone who has adaptive cruise control its maybe not my place to point out negatives. But I will  :P

20 years ago I had  a car with basic CC.  I was not able to use it as often as I expected.  Its best suited to long stretches of straight road with little other traffic.  Not always easy to find in some locations.

The advantages of maintaining  a constant speed  without having to press a pedal can become a a liability if the car ploughs on at the same speed regardless  of other vehicles.     Adaptive cruise control is much better in this respect, detecting other vehicles  and adapting speeds to suit  , but even ACC  has its limitations in moderate to heavy traffic. You still have to supervise that is reacting correctly to the movements of other vehicles and  the heavier the traffic the more often you have to intervene. There comes a point where its less work and safer to switch it off.   With CC it can be  more a case of  finding those times when it can safely be switched on.     

Unless you have had CC on a previous car  and really miss it , or really enjoy  carrying out such modifications and have the skill to overcome any problems  ,  or know for sure you will  regularly drive  long distances on quiet roads   I'd think twice about doing it. 

Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

GBH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX Auto
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2022, 11:08:11 AM »
Previously considered retrofitting CC to our VW Mk4 Golf (which I have been told is almost a plug & play affair) but never got around to it.

Used the car for a 200 mile round trip two weeks ago, mainly M3, and realised that because of the volume of traffic combined with the many variable speed limits  at that time of day (Saturday morning down & back up at lunchtime) that basic CC would have been more trouble than it was worth for that journey.

Alternatively, one of my sons has just bought an all-singing-all-dancing Volvo V90 with adaptive CC combined with collision avoidance sensors and lane following steering which he used to travel down to the coast overnight. Because of the light traffic he said he could almost recline the seat and relax like a meerkat and let the car do the driving! All that was needed was to gently rest one hand on the steering wheel without the need for any input regarding steering direction.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2022, 02:23:10 PM »
I'd like cruise control. Very useful and one of the standard fit items I look forward to when I upgrade to a MK3 at some point in the future.

Never used active cruise control, don't think I would like it tbh.

I agree with Lordv, cruise is for empty straight roads. Back when I was doing 50k a year in my company cars, cruise was a god send. These days, at around 15k and not many long journeys, I don't really miss it. Be nice to have though.

oitar

• Registered Member
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2022, 06:14:22 PM »
Thanks for all the replies! @ianhj your CC diagram is much nicer than what I have!
I agree non-adaptive CC could be more of a burden, but I like enabling features that are "almost there" ;D
And I had to remove the steering wheel anyway- to put a new skin(surface was wearing out. Rather pleased with the new look now btw). Alas the clock spring needs to be changed, so waiting on Aliexpress for next few months. Ask anything, will update you once something happens.

steverae

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2022, 11:14:12 PM »
I tried to do this on my civic some years ago, got the cruise control light on the dash to show but that was it.   Turns out had a load of wiring missing from the clutch / brake pedal and also didn’t have the control programmed into my ECU so no go… kept the steering wheel though as it looked nicer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oitar

• Registered Member
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2023, 12:03:24 PM »
Ok, a bit of a update: I'm taking it slow, since I'm trying to disturb the stock wiring/look as little as possible. Even got the wire colours according to the diagram. What I've done so far:
Installed the CC buttons on the steering wheel, the latching switch(Cruise Main) is double pole, double throw- i.e. has two contacts, both with normally open and normally closed, originally bridged. I separated them, so I can use the Cancel button as my previous Info button, when CC is not in use.
Wired the 3 extra wires to the back of the instrument panel, by putting them in a heat shrink sleeve, and cable-tying them to the existing harness- trying to put them inside the harness will be a major PITA. Now the Cruise Main light comes on when the latching button is pressed, but of course one last pitfall:
How to run a wire from the brake pedal to the PCM/ECU module behind the battery? Spent a whole day, and gave up(for now) trying to find a way to go through the firewall. Looks like both rubber boots on left and right are in a "almost" inaccessible places.
If anyone still interested, will make a thorough step-by-step, but in the meanwhile any suggestions about the least painful way of running a single [brown] wire from the pedal to the battery would be appreciated.
Cheers.

Bart83

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz GE 1.4 ivtec & Honda Jazz GD cvt
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2023, 10:16:57 AM »
Hello fellow Jazz drivers. I have been reading this topic for some time and I want to thank everyone who contributed to it. With help from this topic and other courses the retrofit of OEM Cruise-Control to my Jazz was successful  :)  Below a short report of the work done, I hope this will be off help to others . . .

My Jazz :

2011 Jazz 1.4 ivtec , stock steering wheel control for radio and info-panel. Panel self test shows cruise control indicator lights.

Items needed to change or added: 

- Steering wheel with cruise control buttons (found one one ebay)
- Cable reel (stock has not enough pins, founds one from a crashed Jazz Hybrid)
- 2 pole Brake-light Switch (stock had a single pole)
- Extra clutch switch
- Wiring sets on amazon are perfect for the job

Added wiring:

Cable Reel (dashboard side):

Pin   Color   Function

13   RED   Set/Decel  >>  to GCM pin 20
14   BLU   Resume/Accel  >>  to GCM pin 19
15   PNK   CC main switch  >>  to GCM pin 22

Instrumentpanel:

Pin   Color   Function
19   BLU   Resume/Accel
20   RED   Set/Decel
22   PNK   CC main switch

Brake Switch:

Pole   Pin   Colour   Function

2    3   YEL   Ignition +ve battery via fuse #12 10amp
 2   4   BRN   to ECM pin A41  BKSWNC

Clutch Switch B:

Pin   Color   Function
1   WHT   ECM/PCM control signal to A43
2   BLK   To ground point G401

Engine Control Module Connector A (white):

Pin   Color   Function
41   BRN   Brake switch pole 2
43   WHT   Clutch switch B

Wiring scheme for cruise-control system :

ECM connector :

Clutch-switch :

New brakeswitch & clutch switch:

Cable reel stock vs new:

General info:

On YouTube there are many video on how to remove the battery, airfilterbox, covers, steering wheel and instrument-panel and how to add or remove pins from existing connectors so I will not post this info here. I found this link very helpful : https://www.hondata.com/help/flashpro/index.html?ecu_connectors.htm
I forgot to make pictures while installing the brake and clutch switch so the drawings and schemes will have to do

Wiring between cable-reel and instrument-panel:

Cable-reel dashboardside:

(the green wire is for the phone buttons (added a android radio also)

Instrument-panel connector:

Engine bay wiring:

ECM connector A (white)

When all this was done it worked! No need to program with HDS.

Hope this is off help to other Jazz/Fit drivers :)

Kind regards from the Netherlands,

Bart

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2023, 10:24:10 AM »
That looks very professional, Bart! Thanks for posting it and welcome on this forum. Enjoy your Jazz!

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2023, 08:48:33 PM »
Welcome to the forum Bart. What a fantastic write up.  :D I'm sure that will be very useful if anyone is considering the job.

If you do any more jobs to you car, feel free to add detailed write ups like the above to the forum. Be a great resource for folk.

Tags: