Author Topic: Anyone tried LED side lights?  (Read 2260 times)

guest1953

Anyone tried LED side lights?
« on: April 19, 2011, 02:30:48 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has tried LED replacement side light bulbs?

I tend to use the sidelights quite a bit in poor visibility and wondered about swapping them to save a microfarthing on fuel and increase conspicuity further.

Any comments on ones that fit and work nicely, and does anyone know anything about the rules for passing MOTs etc?

Also, would this class as a modification for insurance purposes? It could be one of those dumb things where you change something to improve safety and get an increased premium as a reward! ::)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Anyone tried LED side lights?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 09:26:30 PM »
Have had LED sidelight bulbs in for a couple of years, the high brightness wedge base bulbs should be available from any decent motor part shop or t'internet.

The best thing I ever did was to buy some rectangular white 8 LED clusters from Maplins at about £18 a pair and mount them either side the number plate,  just use a vampire connector (IDC) off the side light circuit with a 2 amp inline fuse and they are about 100 times brighter than the sidelights and I use them in conditions where I don't really need dipped beam but I feel better with them on, and use them most of the time because silver cars seem invisible to some drivers!
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything