Author Topic: Maintianance free battery  (Read 5225 times)

EXT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.3 i-vtec 2012 GE6
Maintianance free battery
« on: April 10, 2011, 04:33:10 PM »
eish...........i checked today my car battery's indicator is white in the centre and red all around it.its mean it need
distilled water to put in? but why the say "MAINTAINANCE FREE"

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Maintianance free battery
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 06:15:48 PM »
You don't say how old the battery is! The truth is all lead acid batteries use water and even with low maintenance calcium or silver technology they may still need topping up with distilled water after a couple of years. 

Just think what your battery has to do every day, it has to provide about 300 amps every time you start the car as well as keeping all the electrical gear in the car working reliably.  It is a very hard working and much neglected bit of kit that needs a bit of TLC every now and then.

Most people only take notice of their battery when it stops working!  I change mine every 4 years because after that most of them are living on borrowed time (except silver or calcium, which can normally go over 5 years but cost about £30 more).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

EXT

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 07:41:20 PM »
its 4 years old.its a factory fitted one. if its needed distilled water, then is to buy from honda dealer or any spares shop? do honda dealer sell such item. because i dont trust non honda product.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 07:53:02 PM »
distilled water is readily available from most car spares places, not just from Honda.

Any make will do, though I would be surprised if Honda made some.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 08:14:11 PM »
Distilled water can be found in supermarkets. Sainsbury's sell Car Plan brand distilled water in the motoring section of larger stores.

guest1844

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 10:45:53 PM »
Maintenance free usually means you can't put water in because the caps are sealed. I suppose you could break the seals on the caps.

Note this: 
According to PREVENT BLINDNESS AMERICA, in 2003 nearly 6,000 motorists suffered serious eye injuries from working around car batteries

I myself got a splash once changing a battery. Said car had a wee plastic vent tube that went onto the battery. I pulled it off... and splashed my face/eye. I ran straight into the house and stuck my head under the kitchen tap. Seemed OK so went up to the shower. Fortunately no injury, but quite a fright. I always use glasses now.

EXT

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 10:36:29 AM »
Maintenance free usually means you can't put water in because the caps are sealed. I suppose you could break the seals on the caps.

they call it Maintenance free with caps dont get it :o >:( it suppose to be complete sealed then.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 07:33:39 AM »
Battery makers try their hardest to make lead-acid batteries truly 'maintenance free' but they should actually label them 'low maintenance' or 'reduced maintenance' batteries - even with maintenance free types they have to get the electrolyte in somehow when they make them, and they don't do it before the lid is sealed on. You can always peel back the stickers that cover the filling plugs and top them up, normally to 10mm above the plate tops - don't put too much distilled water in because you will dilute the acid too much.  They haven't started to fit truly 'zero maintenance' 'gelled electrolyte' batteries to cars yet, these are normally reserved for motorbikes, golf carts, electric invalid scooters etc where there is a danger that they can become tipped over or inverted and they don't want the acid mix to leak out. The electrolyte in these batteries is like the jelly in a pork pie and won't evaporate like normal battery acid.

Because batteries are a small chemical factory and their final destination and conditions of use are out of the manufacturers hands they can never be truly free of maintenance.  Many people think that it is cold weather that 'kills' batteries, but all the cold weather does is find out that the battery can no longer supply the cranking power (amps) needed to start a cold engine. This is partly due to batteries becoming less efficient in cold weather but mostly because they have previously been damaged by hot weather and / or high under-bonnet temperatures - which is why some batteries are located in the cooler boot area of the car, the longer power cables and associated volt drop in the cables negates some of that advantage, but the battery will last longer.....

The lead acid battery is the Cinderella of car equipment, very often neglected, loaded up with all kinds of power guzzling ICE equipment, heated seats, heated windows and mirrors etc. etc. etc. and expected to go about its tasks without complaining. As with most modern things, they are so good that we forget about them, and while we will happily pay a fortune for alloy wheels, fancy gear knobs and expensive body kits, over £600 for the latest smart phone or £40 to £50 for a Blu-Ray disc or game but can't see why we should pay £50 to £75 for a good quality battery that will serve us every day for 4 to 5 years and ask for very little care in return!

PS, if you do a lot of short journeys or leave the car for long periods without running the engine the battery can suffer from sulphation, this is when the battery is kept below 50% charge state and the plates develop a white coating (you won't be able to see this on modern batteries, but it will still happen).  The sulphation reduces the power the battery is able to supply and is pretty well irreversible ----- so, as with most equipment the best thing to do is use the car very day and go for a long run (over 30 miles) at least once a week to keep everything in good order.
----- Double Post Prevention - new post below: 1302852296 -----

Note this: 
According to PREVENT BLINDNESS AMERICA, in 2003 nearly 6,000 motorists suffered serious eye injuries from working around car batteries

I myself got a splash once changing a battery. Said car had a wee plastic vent tube that went onto the battery. I pulled it off... and splashed my face/eye. I ran straight into the house and stuck my head under the kitchen tap. Seemed OK so went up to the shower. Fortunately no injury, but quite a fright. I always use glasses now.

I bet there are also 30 million people in america who poke themselves in the eye with a cocktail stick, and 50 million who scald themselves with McCoffee every year!  I bet they also tried to claim damages from the battery maker even though they had probably taken the plugs out of the battery and turned it upside down to look inside it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 08:24:57 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

EXT

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 12:02:21 PM »
any how i manage to put battery water after unscrewed all six caps.now going to check how the clour
of electrolyte going to become blue or not.as the mention blue means OK.
----- Double Post Prevention - new post below: 1302951841 -----
any how i manage to put battery water after unscrewed all six caps.now going to check how the clour
of electrolyte going to become blue or not.as they mention blue means OK.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 12:04:01 PM by EXT »

Tags:

anything