Author Topic: Nissan e-Power - Does this sound familiar  (Read 11110 times)

CB72

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX
Nissan e-Power - Does this sound familiar
« on: January 22, 2024, 06:13:46 PM »
Nissan e-power sounds remarkably like the M4 jazz, marketing like it's some revelation in EV technology :D
https://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/motoring/car-reviews/nissan-qashqai-e-power-car-31909025

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
Re: Nissan e-Power - Does this sound familiar
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 07:22:49 PM »
Motoring editor Gareth Butterfield has spent a week in Nissan's clever new Qashqai e-Power

"This is a very different way of approaching the electric-vehicle dilemma. What if you could have an electric car that would never run out? What if you never had to think about where to charge it, or how soon you'll need to plug it in?"

Great discovery Gareth!
If nothing goes right, go left!

coldstart

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Advance MY24
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2024, 05:35:42 PM »
Nissan e-power sounds remarkably like the M4 jazz ...
The only difference being that e-power seems to be a fully serial hybrid, wheras Honda's e:HEV has *direct drive" as well (bypassing the overhead of first generating electricity when the ICE runs at an efficient speed and has the torque necessary to directly drive the wheels).

As my Jazz is set to L per 100km rather than mpg the bar in the "Range / Fuel / Trip Meter" display clearly shows actual fuel consumption (longer bar = less efficency). The jump upwards in consumption when the system switches from direct drive to the less efficient hybrid mode (at motorway speeds) is clearly visible.

The Nissan engineers would have to be much better at optimizing the ICE's efficiency than Honda's in order to compensate for the losses involved in the permanent conversion process dictated by the serial hybrid concept.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2024, 06:53:03 PM »
Surprisingly, it makes the HR-V (the nearest Honda equivalent) look cheap. I wouldn't, however, mind having the 2.1kWh battery. It will provide a bit more efficiency and performance improvement.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 jazz Hybrid EX Chrystal Red
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2024, 08:22:46 PM »
Honda got their advanced technology by entering and sponsoring Formula one. When they had what they wanted they sold up to Red Bull and moved on. It is a strategy they have used before to be able to develop advanced technology and file all necessary patents. This puts them in an advantageous situation and I would accept their configuration of any hybrid and would put a bet on them having some sort of patent that restricts others copying their set up.

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2024, 11:23:44 PM »
While not undermining the advances other manufacturers have made in hybrid tech -most are still playing catch up . Both Honda and Toyota have 10+ years of large numbers of real hybrids in use . The drive trains are elegant solutions derived from leading edge tech. No doubt Honda engineers are still mindful of the greater efficiency of F1 hybrids which better utilise heat management to do so - of course it’s prohibitively expensive today to apply to normal cars . I can’t see any German marques taking a lead in hybrid tech they are still making Uber expensive image cars

Tags: