Author Topic: handbrake clunk  (Read 1082 times)

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
handbrake clunk
« on: March 26, 2023, 01:11:12 PM »
anyone else sometimes get a handbrake clunk at top of travel when pulling it up but only if the foot brake is pressed and nothing is footbrake is not pressed?

thanks

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: handbrake clunk
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 02:10:42 PM »
With your foot on the pedal the pads are already applied to the disc.  The handbrake mechanism is not  having to move the pads so is not under much tension until it reaches the top of its movement and suddenly meets resistance  .The different dynamics in  cable/mechanism tension might cause the handbrake self adjuster mechanism or some other linkage  to activate and clunk.

Just a theory. I dont know this particular car.  The electric handbrake on the mk 4  can be quite sensitive to how slowly and carefully the handbrake is applied. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 03:41:59 PM »
The electric handbrake on the mk 4  can be quite sensitive to how slowly and carefully the handbrake is applied.
Can you explain further? I thought you just toggled an electrical switch and it came on of its own volition?

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2023, 05:44:35 PM »
The electric handbrake on the mk 4  can be quite sensitive to how slowly and carefully the handbrake is applied.
Can you explain further? I thought you just toggled an electrical switch and it came on of its own volition?
It comes on automatically  if you have it in 'brake hold' mode .  The brakes are held on  at the same pressure you used to brake to a complete stop.  But if  you toggle the electrical switch yourself   its best to wait a second or two until the car has settled down  on its springs.   .  Difficult to explain  but when you apply the electric handbrake the power braking action tends to  induce the rear of the car to rise slightly.  So slight you dont normally notice.  But if it happens at the same time as the car is naturally  settling on its springs the two actions may conflict, and there may be a slight lurch or groan.   I may have got the forces involved the wrong way round    but the result is noticeable for me , but very slight. 

What you definitely want to avoid with electric handbrake is applying it very  slightly before you come to a complete stop  (a bad habit I had acquired.    :-[ )  If you do the braking action is so powerful  you really lurch to a stop. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 05:48:16 PM by Lord Voltermore »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 03:40:52 AM »
On the 4 I wait for it to fully stop, then pull the lever and wait a second or 2 before releasing the footbrake and there is zero movement.

If you release the tootbrake too early you can get a slight twitch.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 03:43:45 AM by Kremmen »
Let's be careful out there !

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2023, 07:16:47 PM »
so does anyone actually get the clunk at the top pull of a manual hand brake with the foot brake pressed at the same time ?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2023, 07:24:07 PM »
I never did with my Mk 1.

BadgerMk3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2023, 07:38:21 AM »
so does anyone actually get the clunk at the top pull of a manual hand brake with the foot brake pressed at the same time ?

Occasionally, yes.

Nothing to worry about for the reason Lord Volt explained in post #2.

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2023, 12:55:56 PM »
thats a relief thanks

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2023, 09:54:05 AM »
There is a very clear photo of a handbrake mechanism on a recent post. It shows signs of corrosion to  the electro plating of  a coiled return spring and other alloy parts.   You dont need to be a mechanic to imagine how this corrosion and a general lack of carefully targeted lubrication may cause moving parts to rub and bind against each other or clunk a bit.   But it may not need immediate attention.     
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 09:56:00 AM by Lord Voltermore »

Tags:

anything