Author Topic: Changing phones on Apple CarPlay  (Read 927 times)

dfconnolly

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e-HEV EX and 2019 CRV e-HEV SR
Changing phones on Apple CarPlay
« on: December 26, 2022, 09:32:17 AM »
One little annoyance I have discovered lately is that you can’t change over from one iPhone (my wife’s primary) to my own once the car is moving. I can understand that from a safety point of view with a solitary occupant in the car but not myself as a passenger trying to do it.

Having to stop the car and remove my wife’s phone as primary user and then select mine is a bit of a time wasting faff about.

If anybody has found an easier workaround on this please let us al know
From the advert "Who knows where you’ll go?"

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Changing phones on Apple CarPlay
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2022, 10:29:18 AM »
If your phone is connected OK, as the driver, so handsfree as required, then can't the passenger just use their phone as a standalone ?

Apologies if I'm missing something here !
Let's be careful out there !

dfconnolly

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 07:37:33 PM »
If your phone is connected OK, as the driver, so handsfree as required, then can't the passenger just use their phone as a standalone ?

Apologies if I'm missing something here !
Thanks Kremmen,
The reason to switch to my phone was that we wanted to use Google maps running on my data when approaching an area where there had been an accident to find the best way around and have that on the main screen: my wife’s phone has Google map but she doesn’t run it or anything else on data.
As we all know there’s NO live traffic on the Jazz satnav

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 04:27:48 AM »
Ah, right.

As we know, Android Auto then Google Maps can be a pain at startup taking a couple of minutes at times. But, once connected and running you should be able to use the Home button and use the headunit as you normally do.

This allows the connected Google Maps to be in standby and switching to it should be possible in seconds whilst on the move.

I haven't tested this on the move but I have had instances, in the garage, when I've gone out to try something to answer a post. Google Maps has fired up and sat in standby whilst I fumble around other areas.
Let's be careful out there !

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
  • HR-V eHEV delivered February 2022
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2022, 09:42:35 AM »
OK, now I understand what you are trying to do, the following might work.

1.Set up the iPhone as a wifi hotspot, and turn off bluetooth to stop it connecting wirelessly to carplay. 2. Connect the android phone to that hotspot 3.Connect android phone to usb port.  This arrangement may well allow you to use the android auto for both navigation and music whilst using only the iPhone’s data. No guarantee, but it is worth a try!

dfconnolly

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 04:55:20 PM »
OK, now I understand what you are trying to do, the following might work.

1.Set up the iPhone as a wifi hotspot, and turn off bluetooth to stop it connecting wirelessly to carplay. 2. Connect the android phone to that hotspot 3.Connect android phone to usb port.  This arrangement may well allow you to use the android auto for both navigation and music whilst using only the iPhone’s data. No guarantee, but it is worth a try!
Thanks for that I shall give that a try as I do have my phone set up to hot spot with the wife’s!

Tags: