Author Topic: Snow chains  (Read 837 times)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Snow chains
« on: December 22, 2022, 09:58:41 AM »
Has anyone on here ever used plastic emergency snowchains?   They are a bit like  giant cable ties.   Here is an example

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reusable-Plastic-Non-Slip-Off-Road-Universal/dp/B09SW1H16N/ref=asc_df_B09SW1H16N/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=606750293920&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4929443814944812298&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006907&hvtargid=pla-1887366680551&th=1

I havnt used them myself as I have a set of proper steel chains.  Never yet needed to use the steel ones either tbh,mainly because I have winter rated tyres, .If I needed chains just to leave home I probably wouldnt travel at all.  But they can be a safety essential if unexpectedly caught in heavy snow or within reach of a cleared road that would allow you to continue safely.   

Opinions please on whether it might be sensible to carry a set of these plastic  'chains '  even in the uk.  Especially if you only have summer tyres.  Even if its unlikely you will ever use them.They might be the difference between  getting back to the warmth of home, or stranded somewhere in freezing ,possibly life threatening conditions  ,waiting for rescuce that may be unable to reach you. 

Another possible product is 'spray on snow chains'    but I have my doubts how effective this might be and it probably has a limited shelf life if kept for years.

https://www.carsparesltd.com/product/winter-care-b5650/spray-on-snow-chains-bar060372

I'm Not convinced by some other things like snow socks. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 10:02:12 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Re: Snow chains
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 12:04:28 PM »
Spray on stuff looks rubbish to be honest. I have used tyre 'socks' once when I hired a car in Barcelona and drove it to Andorra for skiing. Couldn't get anywhere on Summer tyre so bought the socks so we could at least get out of our apartment and to the slopes. Still have them but never needed them since as seeing how Andorran locals could get anywhere in any car on Winter tyres, I have used those or All Season ever since.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2022, 01:39:12 PM »
When I was working on the west coast and living in the east I bought proper snow chains but never ever needed to use them They went with the car as they were for a particular wheel and tyre size.
I think the plastic ones would be useful for someone who may set off to work in the morning on dry roads and finish their shift to a heavy fall of snow.
Back in the '60s, I had a mate with a Morris Minor who travelled into work in Edinburgh from the borders. He tied one loop of thick rope through each back wheel and it worked brilliantly. Obviously the more loops the better so the ties may be well worth a try. And let's face it, they are not expensive.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2022, 02:05:08 PM »
Before I retired I kept a set of snow socks in the car in winter "just in case" but never needed them. The plastic chains seem worth a try, there's no obvious reason why they shouldn't work and it won't break the bank to keep a set in the car.

But the biggest hazards on UK roads in snow conditions are the numpties who try to drive without taking any precautions and end up blocking the roads. No amount of clever chain accessories will get you past an abandoned car that can't get up a slight gradient.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2022, 05:48:22 PM »
But the biggest hazards on UK roads in snow conditions are the numpties who try to drive without taking any precautions and end up blocking the roads. No amount of clever chain accessories will get you past an abandoned car that can't get up a slight gradient.
Agreed. And often SUVs that the owners think will go anywhere.

Tags:

anything