Author Topic: Reversing Camera alignment  (Read 3179 times)

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
Reversing Camera alignment
« on: November 27, 2022, 09:32:36 AM »
When parking in car parks I normally go in forwards but in a small car park I decided to reverse into the fairly narrow space. I lined up the car perfectly using the line graphics on the display but when I got out of the car it was crooked within the space although just within the parking lines. Having investigated further the line graphics are out by quite a bit (ie at an angle), having looked online it seems on older Civics it was possible to get into a diagnostic mode through a weird combination of buttons pressed simultaneously from which there was a menu item relating to reversing camera graphics and adjusting them, does anyone have any knowledge of this on the Mk 4 Jazz? If not I'll have to get it done at the next service and go back to using wing mirrors when reversing.

Jeff15

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Very good
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz EX Midnight Blue
Re: Reversing Camera alignment
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 10:14:09 AM »
You could always take more water with it... 8)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 10:51:42 AM »
I always reverse park. Makes it far easier and quicker to get out.

I use the door mirrors and only use the camera to judge the rear bumper from any obstacle etc.

This was my Civic but I can easily achieve this every time :

Fun fact : In WW2, if you parked any Army vehicle nose in you were on a fizzer
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 11:26:50 AM »
would one of the other camera views work better in the circumstances? 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 11:51:24 AM »
It appears that in some parts of the USA it's against the law to reverse park and I don't know why.
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2022, 12:57:40 PM »
Seems bizarre, as you say, because reversing out into traffic is dangerous in some places.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2022, 01:39:41 PM »
It appears that in some parts of the USA it's against the law to reverse park and I don't know why.
It was in Florida in the '90s if I recall correctly.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2022, 02:02:24 PM »
Reverse parking  can be a problem if it affects adjoining property with fumes and  stains.  My local supermarket has signs discouraging it where it affects residential gardens behind a fence.

Maybe in Florida it was the risk of a running over a  'tail gator'.   ;D

I normally drive in forwards   unless I  think it might be easier to reverse in while there are fewer cars  rather than reverse out later.

But that said  I now realise how just  cautious I used to be when reversing  towards a known obstruction. The camera has shown me I often left far more space than was  necessary.  I also have cross traffic monitor, which could help a bit although I prefer not to rely on it.

I wouldnt want my next car to be without a reversing camera , unless it could be retrofitted reasonably neatly.  .  But I could do without cross traffic monitor, , or even parking sensors if it had a camera.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 02:12:33 PM by Lord Voltermore »

Hugh R

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX Grey
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2022, 03:33:23 PM »
That's just about the only drawback to the wonderful Jazz. It has everything except self-park.  I jest not! 
I've only had self-park on one car, an A160 2009 Mercedes (the very car that Honda seemed to have copied for the Jazz.)
I miss letting the car do the parking and rate self-park as highly as auto transmission - so it's likely my next car may be a Skoda Fabia.  Sorry to have upset the apple-cart.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2022, 03:55:52 PM »
That's just about the only drawback to the wonderful Jazz. It has everything except self-park.  I jest not! 
I've only had self-park on one car, an A160 2009 Mercedes (the very car that Honda seemed to have copied for the Jazz.)
I miss letting the car do the parking and rate self-park as highly as auto transmission - so it's likely my next car may be a Skoda Fabia.  Sorry to have upset the apple-cart.

Never had it. Can it reverse into a car park space, or just parallel park at the side of the  road?

Beaver

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2022, 04:29:32 PM »

Never had it. Can it reverse into a car park space, or just parallel park at the side of the  road?

I'm not sure how Honda copied the A160 to produce the Jazz!   The production years don't work to make that possible.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 04:31:05 PM by Beaver »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2022, 04:37:03 PM »
When I was learning to drive the bus we had to reverse-park it every night between a line of vehicles. We had about the width of our mirrors on either side. The other buses already had their mirrors folded in. You didn't want to be the one who had to drive back to the depot of an evening (there were three of us learning on the bus at a time) but we all had to take our turn. The length of the bus actually makes reversing and staying square easier than a short vehicle.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2022, 05:16:36 PM »
When I was on the buses the garage was a horseshoe so we rarely did have to reverse them.

But, the staff who cleaned and refuelled them at night were masters of speedy reverse parking with very little room. They were a joy to watch.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2022, 05:34:39 PM »
Parking?  E by gum.   When I were nowt but a lad we lived in't  cardboard box.  You just plonked it down in t'road.  And buses only had one headlight.   But in reality when i was learning  to perfect  parking my employers had boxy  estate cars  . WYSIWYG's   .What you see is what you get.  Simples. Hence I now need a camera
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 05:44:43 PM by Lord Voltermore »

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2022, 06:12:30 PM »
Not all states require front number plates and many of the roads in american towns and cities are very wide  with parking perpendicular to the sidewalk.  It is a requirement to drive into a space so the back of the vehicle faces the road.  This allows any police car cruising along to read the licence plates. 

In the USA the pavement is the road surface.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 06:41:22 PM by Pine »

Tags: