Author Topic: Jazz 1.3 suitable ?  (Read 3329 times)

Bobcat

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Civic 1.7ctdi
Jazz 1.3 suitable ?
« on: November 23, 2022, 11:24:18 AM »
Hi all,

We currently own a civic 1.7CDTI.

We will need to change at some point and are considering either a Jazz 1.3 manual or a Yaris 1.5 manual.

The car will be used for taking the kids to school, it's a 20 Mile round-trip so 40 Miles a day with mostly local roads, some 50mph dual carriageway, and a few hills.

We have looked at both Jazz and Yaris but not driven either. My wife prefers the Jazz because its bigger and therefore more spacious for our 2 teenage sons in the back.

I preferred the Yaris but admittedly it is more cramped in the back, the wife will win as she does the commuting!

I have a few reservations about the Jazz such as the lack of a spare and the stop start system, I know we can buy a spare tyre and put it in the boot and you can turn off the stop start.

We are probably looking at an s or se model 2019/2020 year.

The Yaris has a 5 year warranty which is nice as it would have 2/3 warranty left.

Anyway I am sure you will all recommend the Jazz!! The question I have is whether the 1.3 manual is powerful enough to haul effectively 3 adults around 40 Miles a day...I know she will miss the power of the turbo diesel but its not worth buying a diesel these days unfortunately.

Any tips or advice from you guys would be welcome.

I have considered a corolla hybrid but they are too expensive at around £17,000 for a 2019 plate and my budget would be about £10,000.

I want to keep the car for as long as possible so reliability and low running costs are paramount.

Our civic is 19 years old and my Toyota is 24 years old, so you can see I like to keep my cars a long time!!

Many thanks

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
Re: Jazz 1.3 suitable ?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 11:35:39 AM »
Yes, the Jazz is certainly suitable. Compared to the Yaris it feels like a bigger car; not just the back seats but also the more spacious feel in the front seats. 40 miles a day should not be a problem, I’ve done this for a decade  :).

Only thing is getting used to a petrol car. It has less torque and needs a bit more revs to be powerful. The Yaris is a 3-cylinder engine, while the Jazz has 4. At low revs the Jazz will run more smoothly without any vibrations.

I would recommend a test drive in both. The Jazz will surprise you with its roominess and more dynamic feel to it! Good luck!

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 12:14:20 PM »
My wife prefers the Jazz.
Every other word, phrase, question or discussion is pointless.

Bobcat

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 12:35:27 PM »
My wife prefers the Jazz.
Every other word, phrase, question or discussion is pointless.

Hahaha!!!! Very true. I did try and convince her about the merits of the Yaris but it didn't go down too well! :D

Wilmo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.5 Sport 2018
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 12:35:55 PM »
Don't know what the Yaris is like performance wise but the Jazz 1.3 has only 100HP.
You might find it a bit gutless in comparison?

I have the Jazz 1.5 Sport which has 130HP and is a much better tool, still gives near 50MPG on a long run.
We moved from a 2010 1.8 petrol Civic and the performance is almost the same (0-60 in 8.7 secs), the room inside the boot is only a touch smaller and the car is almost the same size outside.
I'm 6'4" and I can drive it over long distances with no issues at ll.

Bobcat

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 12:41:53 PM »
Yes, the Jazz is certainly suitable. Compared to the Yaris it feels like a bigger car; not just the back seats but also the more spacious feel in the front seats. 40 miles a day should not be a problem, I’ve done this for a decade  :).

Only thing is getting used to a petrol car. It has less torque and needs a bit more revs to be powerful. The Yaris is a 3-cylinder engine, while the Jazz has 4. At low revs the Jazz will run more smoothly without any vibrations.

I would recommend a test drive in both. The Jazz will surprise you with its roominess and more dynamic feel to it! Good luck!

Thanks for your input, agree the extra space will be useful as one of my lads is quite tall so would be cramped in the Yaris.

I think my wife will be fine with driving the Jazz as she is the opposite of me, I generally drive steadily especially whilst the car us cold. The missus however turns the ignition and foot down zooms off!!

I try not to go in the car whilst she is driving as it leads to arguments, the other day I had to and the fact she waits at traffic lights with the car in gear,clutch down, and foot on the brake pedal baffles me!!

Bobcat

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 12:47:10 PM »
Don't know what the Yaris is like performance wise but the Jazz 1.3 has only 100HP.

I have the Jazz 1.5 Sport which has 130HP and is a much better tool, still gives near 50MPG on a long run.
We moved from a 2010 1.8 petrol Civic and the performance is almost the same (0-60 in 8.7 secs), the room inside the boot is only a touch smaller and the car is almost the same size outside.

I did consider the 1.5 sport, it looks very good.

Two things are putting me off it though:

The engine apparently is prone to carboning up so given I want to keep the car 'forever' might cause headaches down the line. The turbo in the civic we gave has been a real pain.

The other issue is the sport model seems fairly expensive at around £13,000  from what I could see

Happy to be corrected if I am wrong!

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2022, 01:41:36 PM »
I know its no help, but it sounds like your wife is made for the jazz mk4 hybrid.  Press the pedal and its off from the lights like a scalded cat.  (and if you drive - 70 mpg)    For a 40 mile daily commute  it might be worth comparing fuel costs over a couple of years,  then decide which  of the sons could be sold into slavery to pay for it.   ;D

I had a Yaris mk11 diesel.  great for a couple but cramped for a family.  Jazz  is significantly better suited for a family car IMHO,  and much closer to the size of a civic than the yaris. 

I've never had a 'stop/start car    (apart from my current Mk4 which goes further still)  . I dont think they actually start doing it until the car has warmed up  so it may not affect you much ,and might be better for your wifes driving habits 

Or keep both boys, buy the Jazz 1.3 but plan on changing it  as soon as circumstances allow.  .
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Beachball

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 i vtec navi
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2022, 01:48:20 PM »
Bobcat.
I have a 2019 Jazz 1.3 SE Navi.
Im 99%happy with it and its a 6 speed box.
This is the 1% Im still not used to after about 6 months.
I find 1st.gear is painfully low geared.
As soon as the wheels start moving,im then looking to change into second(unlike my wifes 2013 Jazz which I find the gear changing far more relaxing).
Maybe its just me but maybe worthwhile you taking one for a test drive first before you/your wife decides?

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2022, 02:34:23 PM »
Hi all,

We currently own a civic 1.7CDTI.

We will need to change at some point and are considering either a Jazz 1.3 manual or a Yaris 1.5 manual.

The car will be used for taking the kids to school, it's a 20 Mile round-trip so 40 Miles a day with mostly local roads, some 50mph dual carriageway, and a few hills.

We have looked at both Jazz and Yaris but not driven either. My wife prefers the Jazz
AS told before, we should stop here any discussion.

I have a few reservations about the Jazz such as the lack of a spare and the stop start system, I know we can buy a spare tyre and put it in the boot and you can turn off the stop start.
yes, you can keep a spare tyre and keep it inside the boot, I don't remember if the space under the boot floor can contain a spare tyre.
About the start&stop, to me this is not a problem: you can switch it off or leave it working, you will see that it won't disturb you.

Anyway I am sure you will all recommend the Jazz!! The question I have is whether the 1.3 manual is powerful enough to haul effectively 3 adults around 40 Miles a day...I know she will miss the power of the turbo diesel but its not worth buying a diesel these days unfortunately.
In my honest opinion, only a test drive will clear your doubts, what is good for me could be not good for you. Surely a lighter 1.5 will be punchier than a heavier 1.3, even with the same power because what you use in normal driving is the torque at 1500-2500 rpm, not the max power at 6000 rpm and displacement rules in naturally aspirated engines talking about torque. So a Yaris will surely better than Jazz  in hills and highways, the point is if the Jazz is enough good for what you need.

Wilmo

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2022, 02:48:39 PM »

I did consider the 1.5 sport, it looks very good.

Two things are putting me off it though:

The engine apparently is prone to carboning up so given I want to keep the car 'forever' might cause headaches down the line. The turbo in the civic we gave has been a real pain.

The other issue is the sport model seems fairly expensive at around £13,000  from what I could see

Happy to be corrected if I am wrong!
the Jazz doesn't have a turbo, the HR-V sport does.
not heard about any carbon issues but stand to be educated

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2022, 03:18:16 PM »

the Jazz doesn't have a turbo, the HR-V sport does.
not heard about any carbon issues but stand to be educated
Some 1.5 Sport Jazz, naturally aspirated,  since they have direct fuel injection, suffered from carbon buildup on inlet valves and ducts.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10191759-0001.pdf
Anyway, uncommon issue for european 1.5 Jazz and HR-Vs.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 03:24:24 PM by jazzaro »

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2022, 09:59:54 PM »
“The question I have is whether the 1.3 manual is powerful enough to haul effectively 3 adults around 40 Miles a day”
I would strongly recommend the cvt rather than the manual if you want to avoid a lot of gear changing. There isn’t much torque in the 1.3 below 2500 rpm and it might come as a shock after a diesel. Try one - the cvt works excellently, and you can floor the accelerator for more power. Your wife will love it.

2robbie2

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mark 3
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2022, 04:20:20 AM »
Both excellent cars whichever you choose.  :D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 04:28:57 AM by 2robbie2 »

Wilmo

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2022, 08:36:09 AM »
“The question I have is whether the 1.3 manual is powerful enough to haul effectively 3 adults around 40 Miles a day”
that is why I suggested the 1.5 sport.

Tags: