Author Topic: Fuel range display  (Read 3380 times)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Fuel range display
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2022, 07:37:22 AM »
My Yaris would typically do 100km for each of the 8 bars on its fuel gauge,  except the first one which took nearer 200 km if the tank had been brimmed including filler pipe.     I havnt bothered checking on the Jazz   There are already enough fuel consumption and range indicators without watching for yet another.   :P

Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2022, 05:48:12 PM »
The gauge is all over the place, and especially hard to rely on the 'miles till empty'.  I just use as a rough guide, and, as I tend to refuel when I get down to half a tank anyway, and refuel at that point IF passing a fuel station on the left, it's peculiarities are no bother at all.  Just really appreciate the fact that the car gets such great mpg consistently.  ;D

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2022, 03:59:53 AM »
I'm the same, I fill up when half full/empty.

All my Hondas have had the same tank range 'game' and the car is constantly working out the maths from your current fuel level and current average mpg.

Let's be careful out there !

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2022, 08:02:18 AM »
Ironic that Honda strive to shave the last gram from the weight of the car, yet some people carry around a minimum of 15Kg of fuel all of the time.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2022, 10:35:54 AM »
Ironic that Honda strive to shave the last gram from the weight of the car, yet some people carry around a minimum of 15Kg of fuel all of the time.
Fine if you only drive somewhere with numerous filling stations and guaranteed supplies.

I prefer not to go under 1/4 full and usually fill up.  The cost  of carrying round a bit of extra weight is partially offset   environmentally by not diverting  so often the distance needed to reach and manoeuvre around so many  filling stations and  possibly holding up other customers who leave their gas guzzlers running while I  go in to pay for just a few litres. And financially by filling up  when I  see a good price  close to my  existing route. 

« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 10:37:32 AM by Lord Voltermore »

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2022, 10:59:45 AM »
With half a tank, I (and you) have enough fuel for about 450 kilometers (280 miles). Where in (the civilized part of) this world is the risk of not finding any possibility to refuel within that distance greater than 0.001% ?
If nothing goes right, go left!

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2022, 11:16:58 AM »
...When its colder I struggle to get anywhere near 300 miles from the 1st half of the tank.

Marmoset

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 2020
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2022, 11:24:21 AM »
Today in new car, done 47.7 miles with left in tank 606 miles = 653.7 miles
A couple of times when I've had a projected range like that, I've tried to get a 1000km tank. (621.71 miles). This goes well until I get to around 550 miles but then the range calculations drops markedly, beyond travel conditions.  The furthest I've ever got was 613 miles.  I suspect this might happen to you unless you're naturally a hypermiler.  You'll still get very good consumption figures though.

Another thing to watch out for might be that new cars can take a while to bed in so your initial consumption figures might not improve until you've a few miles on the clock.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2022, 11:54:01 AM »
Makes more sense  for those living and mostly driving in town not to haul  excess fuel away from every junction .   I know I will probably find fuel in time,  but I prefer not looking for it so often.

Literally my first  long trip in the Jazz  I had plotted  on the satnav a trip across the Yorkshire moors. Hardly the middle of nowhere. There was a filling station marked that I had planned to use. It was shut.  Range showed sufficient  to reach the next major town where there would be choice and maybe save a penny or two.
But this dropped alarmingly quickly and by the end I was really quite anxious I would not  make it  . I got there with about 5 miles range showing ,and hadnt passed any other filling stations.(Had there been one I would have filled up - regardless of cost!  :-[   ) Maybe I could have found a nearer one using sat nav  if absolutely necessary.  Not an experience I care to repeat.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 12:35:14 PM by Lord Voltermore »

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2022, 12:18:19 PM »
there are many well written and repeated discussions on fill tank part or full.

In the overall picture driving style and maintenance of the vehicle will give bigger returns.

On fil part/full here is a typical article

"However, the truth to our burning question is that a full tank only accounts for around 5% of the car's total weight. By reducing your tank to half its maximum level, it means you will only save around 2.5% in total weight. This will give you only a very small saving in terms of fuel economy.

Regardless, It is still recommended that you fill the tank up to the top when you visit the petrol station as this will ultimately save you time as you won’t need to make so many trips.

For example, if you fill the tank up and this lasts a month, that’s just one trip. If you top up periodically, you could make three or four visits over the course of the month costing you time. And you know what they say? Time is money!

Ultimately, the difference you save in terms of the weight of the tank is minuscule compared to the amount of time you will save and the mileage of filling up each time."

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2022, 01:32:14 PM »
...I usually fill up when there's either one or two bars left. You're generally never far from a garage really, unless you live out in the sticks I guess  ???

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2022, 01:33:48 PM »
Gasoline is about 0.75kg per litre, so a full tank is approximately 30kg. Not much on a car that weighs about 1000kg. Also bear in mind the regenerative braking will reduce the losses due to shedding the extra momentum when slowing down.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2022, 02:20:57 PM »
...I usually fill up when there's either one or two bars left. You're generally never far from a garage really, unless you live out in the sticks I guess  ???
That is exactly what I do. 

I've been driving for over 50 years, most of which was business driving all over the UK.  I've done over a million miles in that time and never once run out of fuel.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2022, 02:53:19 PM »
I remember the 1973 fuel shortage and similar problems more recently.

As a result I never like to have under half a tank, just in case.
Let's be careful out there !

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2022, 03:04:14 PM »
...I usually fill up when there's either one or two bars left.

But hopefully not when you’re driving!   ::)

Tags: