Author Topic: Annoying Rattles  (Read 1667 times)

dfconnolly

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e-HEV EX and 2019 CRV e-HEV SR
Annoying Rattles
« on: November 01, 2022, 12:02:04 PM »
We have a ‘21 Jazz EX and it’s been annoying that there has been several resonating rattles and vibrations coming from some of the plastics around the car, namely mirror covers on sun vidors, rear light shrouds in drainage channels etc.

One frustrating one when driving over coarser road surfaces eluded me for months but now I have found it!

It’s the driver’s seat height adjustment lever…..it’s loose enough in the ”resting” neutral position to harmonise with vibration from rougher road surfaces so if I’ve put an adhesive felt pad between it and the base seat squab cover.
In the central position felt is covered by the lever

Problem solved - peace at last!

Maybe worth checking if you still have any unresolved “rattles”

Ps…..I’m not one for turning the radio up to drown out unwanted noise!
From the advert "Who knows where you’ll go?"

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Annoying Rattles
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2022, 02:17:30 PM »
Perhaps thats why Honda dont offer height adjutment on the passenger seat. One less rattle source  ;)

I've only got that one that sounds like its in the touch screen.  It comes and goes, regardless  of whether its a smooth road or rough. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 12:15:54 PM »
Seems to be a genuine issue with the MK4. It's disappointing because I haven't had this on my previous Jazzes.

Mine seem to come from the front passenger side as do many others who have encountered these issues although noise travels around a car so I might look at the driver's side height adjuster as suggested above.

In my case a particular combination of conditions need to be in play - car warmed up, rough (not potholed but "granular" road surface if that makes sense) and worse in warmish weather. It appears to be coming from the front passenger door or even the glovebox area.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 12:44:26 PM »
You're right about sound travelling around.

I had a rattle on my last Civic that sounded like it was around the top left side of the dash. It was only when a passenger said it sounded like my side and poked about that we found it was something hard in the centre console, that had hard plastic walls.

Fixed with some 2" Velcro, the fluffy bit.

My Jazz has zero rattles
Let's be careful out there !

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 12:57:08 PM »
It’s the driver’s seat height adjustment lever…..it’s loose enough in the ”resting” neutral position to harmonise with vibration from rougher road surfaces

Good that it harmonized and did not give disharmony. That would be really annoying!  ;D
If nothing goes right, go left!

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 02:37:22 PM »
Are we saying that by choosing a route with the correct combination of road surfaces the jazz can be played like a musical instrument?    Most other cars just hide their harmonious musical talent  with engine noise  ;D

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2022, 03:40:32 PM »
...I had an infotainment unit rattle/creak, screen replaced by garage, OK now.

Occasional (more when its colder) rattle from passenger door, I imagine a sound like cables slapping against the door card, again at certain speed/road type combo. Originally thought it was to do with illumination pack install but now wondering if its under the passenger seat... who knows?  ;D

Dashcam rattle - still haven't bought the foam pad to cushion connection to the mount  ::)  ???

Occasional dash creak, again more when its cold, swift push around the centre vent and it goes away mostly.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2022, 04:26:21 PM »
Jazz is a harmonically sophisticated genre of music based on improvisation, that originated in the African-American communities of New Orleans in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Honda Jazz originated in a different part of the world, in Suzuka, Japan in the early 1980s. However, it shares the harmonic sophistication with the music from which it takes its name.

If nothing goes right, go left!

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2022, 04:52:40 PM »
If anyone has a rattle coming from the passenger side the first thing to check is that the seat belt is hanging free and not twisted, otherwise it is likely to knock against the side of the seat or door.

dfconnolly

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2022, 10:09:06 AM »
Further rattles found and eliminated:-

Rear light black cover inserts that sit in drainage channel (see when tailgate is raised) remove and some self adhesive felt  attached to plastic inner face - then put back on , may need a firmer "push" to get clips to re-engage.

The bottle of tyre sealant in the concealed department right hand side rear of boot, remove bottle and felt to holder. Worth checking all the other sundries in there too. (As an aside, I note there is NO jack even though there is space for one!?)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2022, 01:54:02 PM »
I dont know  of any maker that gives you a jack or indeed a wheel brace,  if there is no spare wheel  to change.

dfconnolly

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2022, 07:20:53 PM »
I dont know  of any maker that gives you a jack or indeed a wheel brace,  if there is no spare wheel  to change.
We digress, however, it’s strange then that I actually got a Jack, screw driver lever and a wheel brace with my HONDA CR-V hybrid SR!?

Tags: