Author Topic: Fuel range display  (Read 3385 times)

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
Fuel range display
« on: November 21, 2022, 01:45:10 PM »
OK, when I first picked up the Jazz it came with a full tank. The 'range' indicator on the display reckoned there was 525 miles of fuel in the tank. As the tank and fuel level drops, so does the 'bar' and 'range' indication.. but each time I filled the tank up, the 'range' displays near as dammit  520 miles available again. However, this week after dropping 2 'bars' I decided to fill up. After driving off, the 'bars' didn't immediately go up and the 'range' stayed at 420. The 'bars' did go to max after about a mile, but the 'range' remained at the level pre fill up. It has steadily dropped ever since. I know it was filled to the max level, and I actually did a trip 'reset' too. I am just waiting now for the next time I fill up, to see if it makes a difference.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Fuel range display
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 02:02:59 PM »
Yes, we've discussed this before. The tank range appears to take your previous average MPG into consideration. I think mine at delivery was about 620 miles but I'll never see that again.
Let's be careful out there !

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 02:39:32 PM »
I think you need to add at least 10 liters / 2.5 gallons before the range indicator notices the difference. I read it in the manual somewhere. You can check whether trip A was reset (it resets automatically after a refill); this must also be unchanged since the range didn't go up.

I must say I like the fact that range is much more stable than in the previous Jazz. Mk3 based the range on the last 10 miles average consumption, which made it go up and down all the time. Mk4 shows a first guess and only very slowly changes that. In my case, it shows 900 to 1030 km based on - AFAIK - a whole fuel tank average.

JJazz

• Approved Member
  • Exiled Scot
  • My Honda: 2023 Honda Jazz EX in midnight blue beam metallic
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 03:38:43 PM »
My two cars had range set at 625 when I got them.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 04:50:14 PM »
I think you need to add at least 10 liters / 2.5 gallons before the range indicator notices the difference. I read it in the manual somewhere. You can check whether trip A was reset (it resets automatically after a refill); this must also be unchanged since the range didn't go up
I think you can change it in the settings to either reset automatically  when you fill up , or only when you reset it manually.   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2022, 04:52:51 PM »
I think you can change it in the settings to either reset automatically  when you fill up , or only when you reset it manually.   

I'm 100% sure you can!  ;D
If nothing goes right, go left!

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2022, 06:20:55 AM »

I'm 100% sure you can!  ;D

Definately, I have it set on mine, very handy.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2022, 06:33:45 AM »
I've got trip A to reset at fuelling and trip B manual.

I did have trip B at ignition off, but as posted, that's a pain if you stop mid journey.

Nicksey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2022, 03:37:53 PM »
I have A set to reset at ignition off, and B set to manual reset.

Incidentally, today on a 15 mile journey (without any filling up) the 'range' suddenly reset itself to 492 miles!!
No input from me, no resetting.. nada. Since originating this thread, the 'range' has steadily dropped to around 390 miles, and then wham! The 'bars' are still at full too. Odd.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2022, 04:55:51 PM »
While my car was being serviced I was loaned a Jazz. The dealer asked me when I bring it back to top up the fuel to the level it was when it left their place. On the way back to the dealers I put a few gallons of juice into the car thinking that should more than cover my use. A few miles on and the guage showed no change so I stopped at another garage and put some more in. When I arrived at the dealership I mumbled something about the fuel level but they were not interested. I reckon I wasted a few quid there!
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2022, 04:08:19 AM »
When my daughter moved I hired a Transit.

The tank range, which they used as their marker, said about 200 miles. All I did was a 60 mile round trip on A roads and a 50mph limited motorway and when I returned it it was showing about 250 miles even though I didn't put any fuel in.

They checked and were happy as the fuel gauge hadn't moved.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2022, 06:58:06 AM »
Probably overpaid for fuel a few times with car hire   with old fashioned fuel gauges.  Some cars still show full when 5 litres or even 10 litres have been used.  Sometimes the previous hirer  returned it still showing full but had actually driven quite a few miles.  Then for me the gauge drops rapidly.  Then the tendency is to fill the tank, maybe adding 15 litres when 5 might have been enough to show full on the gauge.   >:(
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2022, 07:21:38 AM »
Some cars still show full when 5 litres or even 10 litres have been used. 

Shouldn’t be a surprise. If you fill a car to the brim, there’s a few litres of fuel in the pipe leading down to the tank. The fuel gauge measures the amount of fuel in the tank and won’t start to move until all the fuel in the filler pipe has been used, and whilst consuming that fuel you’ll have driven quite a few miles. The Jazz has a particularly long filler pipe (I think the tank is under the front seats?) so the gauge won’t move for many miles and meanwhile the computer’s range estimate will be sketchy because it can’t know how much fuel is in the pipe.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2022, 09:10:11 AM »
When my daughter moved I hired a Transit.

The tank range, which they used as their marker, said about 200 miles. All I did was a 60 mile round trip on A roads and a 50mph limited motorway and when I returned it it was showing about 250 miles even though I didn't put any fuel in.

They checked and were happy as the fuel gauge hadn't moved.
Neil Ives

JJazz

• Approved Member
  • Exiled Scot
  • My Honda: 2023 Honda Jazz EX in midnight blue beam metallic
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2022, 09:35:24 PM »
Today in new car, done 47.7 miles with left in tank 606 miles = 653.7 miles
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 08:58:13 AM by JJazz »

Tags:

anything