Author Topic: jack ponts and sill seams  (Read 1117 times)

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
jack ponts and sill seams
« on: November 20, 2022, 02:31:41 PM »
i noticed that the jack points have been chipped up from all the services etc and starting to rust on the outer edges, has anyone else found a way of fixing this problem because as soon as you jack the car again the paint will just chip off again

also the flat edge just above the jack point had flakey paint which i chipped off with my fingernail and underneath was just bare steel with some black marks

i have primed and painted it but also noticed the underseal from factory on the drivers side goes all the way down to the jack points covering up this metal strip but not on the passenger side

as my car is white i really dont want to use black underbody sealant to cover this up, has anyone got any ideas

thanks

Wilmo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.5 Sport 2018
Re: jack ponts and sill seams
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 03:03:08 PM »
white Smoothrite?

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 03:33:25 PM »
 Hycote make stonechip underseal in white      Product code   XUK476.       Its a rubberized formula so I cant comment on how suitable it would be for protecting  jacking points from a Jack    but it may be suitable for its original purpose of protecting your sills from stone chips  .  Even though its white it may not be a great colour match unless oversprayed in body colour.

You could try googling the product code for suitable suppliers.         The following Ebay listing  includes postage,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1630357995?iid=192381323126

If you do your own jacking you may find a hard rubber jacking pad  will give some protection.       Garages often use these .      Here is an example, but you may need to search others to find the best type/style for your car and jack.   And a genuine Honda jack may give a more secure fit than a pad. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274304684126?hash=item3fddd5505e:g:BNwAAOSwc~ddu4w1&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoDesCVw91tTwy19A9YnZIHbKKkUItGD9dTQjCuSLrFaKdDerZsg%2FW8bE1Ttoe0jnf0fbfJRu5g65GqON2NBE3hTtBSEivHkPVUGszA302gLVosfiRV6Ngtjb8BK18ZY5dYQvJtmTSwqSZige7mL4sMeeAAtjNq9bGvQOYLn4AH%2BzyyGZDHQe5n%2FedOH16kk0GE5Cv80QaVx48%2FGMu1ROKZU%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4if2dqSYQ
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 03:47:01 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 03:12:01 PM »
I was going to suggest the white stonechip too.
I use rubber jacking pads, available on the auction site though the one I got specifically for the Jazz had a groove which wasn't quite big enough to fit over the tab. I cut (milled) the slot in the rubber pad to suit. The pads are cheap enough, a few ££. The supplier I use has a wide variety of sizes/shapes/slots etc, a search will soon find him.
FWIW I also usually use a small piece of old towelling between pad and car just to cushion the contact and protect the paint as much as possible.

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2022, 01:08:43 AM »
thanks guys

i painted it just to protect it from the elements, and in this cold and wet the paint is holding up amazingly with wet motorway driving, got to say halfords paint is really good

the only niggle that i have got is the paint just above the jack point with bubbles that i stripped off was turning yellow just like the yellow of the paint under the roof windscreen rubber that i spotted last year, i really hope that doesnt go like the jack point paint as its windscreen out job, they might all do it and as my car is white it just shows up more

while i was on my service the other month i did check two other mk3 jazzes in the car park, a light blue one with normal paint under the rubber and an orange sport with slightly darker line under the rubber,

has anyone ever had any problems with paint in those areas?, i have seen the pics of honda nad toyota in the usa and they are horrible
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 01:11:32 AM by monkeydave »

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2022, 07:33:14 AM »
I dont know the mk 3 or about paint around windscreens. But mention of bubbling and yellowing paint around the sills  brings to mind  stonechip paint as applied at the factory.  This tends to have a bumpy finish, sort of orange peel affect,. Its often overpainted in body color,  but  the protective stuff itself is often white, grey or yellowy cream colour.     Is it possible the white overpainting has come off exposing just the stonechip coating as a yellowish tint? This layer will itself be on top of the original car body paint  applied at the factory.  so the paint finish may not yet be breached and liable to rust.

I dont know if the Mk3  is the same but my white mk4  has a very thick application  of stonechip, almost like rough cast rendering.  On other cars it was more like orange peel. 

I am also intrigued that the application of your underseal seems to differ from side to side.    Is it possible the area was repaired at some time in the past, perhaps because of damage when a jack collapsed?  The original stonechip may have been buffed away and not renewed.  In these circumstances there is always the possibility that the new priming and paint applied  is less durable than the original factory finish. 
If there have been repairs  you cant really speculate  in theory about how it compares  with factory original paint. .  You would have to be there and examine it in detail.  If you are unsure a friendly independent body shop might give a quick opinion, although they might be biased towards more business.  And even then, short of rubbing paint, underseal, under paint, primers and any filler back to bare metal  you cant be sure,  Or that the repainting will be any better.           If it looks basically sound then maybe a new coat of stone chip ,  or simply overspraying the existing  exposed stone chip may be all thats needed.   

But of course without being there or knowing your exact problem I may be talking nonsense  :-[

some photos of each side might help.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 07:37:53 AM by Lord Voltermore »

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2022, 08:30:57 AM »
yes my rubbery underseal goes down to the jack points on the drivers side and on the passengers side it leaves the last flat strip of metal (which the jack points are welded into) just painted, this is the side with the yellow bubbling small spot

i have also noticed yellowing under the bottom inner rubber strips of the doors

it must be all areas water is remainging for a whille that gets yellowing, as long as it just stays discoloured i can live with, but i dont want it to get any worse

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2022, 09:25:33 AM »
When i got my brand new  white Mk 4 I was initially concerned by some yellow stains which on closer inspection  turned out to be  sprayed on hinge grease.  And its not unknown for some rubber strip to be secured in place with  yellow glue . Possibly not firmly fixed   but maybe  some sort of low tack glue or lubricant  to aid installation  or a protective wax coating that wasnt fully cleaned off in pdi. 

Sorry if I am stating the obvious  or it clearly doesnt apply to what you are experiencing   but its worth checking yellowing carefully with a magnifying glass to see if there is an alternative explanation. 

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2022, 04:31:11 PM »
thanks for your help

i tried to clean it last year with a cotton bud with car polish on and it didnt shift, if it stays yellow and does not get worse i can live with it as it is hidden under the top rubber strip of windscreen

it is only on the drivers side so it must be the water draining off the roof turing it yellow as UV rays cannot get to it

Glosrich

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S iVtec
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2022, 07:41:28 PM »
White paint of course shows a lot of imperfections.
The yellowing by the rubber seals is rubber residue from the seals, you simply don't notice it on other colour cars.
It would probably wipe off with some tar and glue remover or maybe white spirit.

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2022, 08:05:07 PM »
thanks

i have noticed the same yellowing behind the seals on the bottom inside of the doors so it cannot be UV doing it and must be water staining

i dont mind the stains i just dont want the paint to eventually break down and have rust start around the windscreen

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2022, 07:20:53 AM »
As Glosrich suggests  try it with some sort of paint friendly solvent.  Car polish might remove slight paint imperfections  but wouldnt necessarily shift glue or other chemical based residue.      Once clean  give a protective coat of polish.   If nothing you try shifts it then maybe  look again at whether its  permanent deterioration.   

Others may argue differently  but  a bit of standard WD40 can make a good solvent. If you have some handy try it in a small area.      Once, on my Yaris, I foolishly made my own  stick on headlight deflectors  (for driving on the right) using sticky tape. Couldnt get the glue off.  WD40 shifted it easily without damaging the plastic headlight lenses.    You'd think WD40 would be oily  but some folk swear by it for cleaning rubber  wiper blades if they are causing smearing.  . I've never tried that myself. 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 07:33:43 AM by Lord Voltermore »

Tags: