Author Topic: Sat Nav out of date  (Read 9268 times)

JJazz

• Approved Member
  • Exiled Scot
  • My Honda: 2023 Honda Jazz EX in midnight blue beam metallic
Sat Nav out of date
« on: November 20, 2022, 08:22:32 AM »
I got dealer to update my sat nav on new car after handover as my 2-3 year old development postcodes like TN21 0GA, TN21 0GB not on database but it’s still the same. Told dealer to look into it. Anyone else have same problem or try one of the postcodes and can we check version?.
On my sat nav I have set Use Current Location to set home location so my location is Home 1 in a field.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 04:19:53 PM by JJazz »

JasonH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX
Re: Sat Nav out of date
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 08:54:04 AM »
Had this issue with a brand new Hyundai Tucson. Not sure if this applies to Honda, but it turns out that a lot of car manufacturers save money by not paying for the latest and greatest maps and data.

So Hyundai’s promise of 5 years free map updates was pretty much meaningless as the manufacturers maps were already at least 3 years out of date and when proven they were out of date and asked about when new maps would be available, I was told at least 18 months to 3 years and they didn’t sound confident on that time scale either.

Previous to this I took my car in for satnav updates, they had it a day and it was returned to me with the exact same software map versions, though they claimed they were new. Fortunately I had taken photos of the software versions previously installed to prove them wrong. I ended up losing faith in the brand and bought a dedicated SatNav.

JJazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Exiled Scot
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 09:54:06 AM »
I waited over an hour for dealer to take car to area to update Sat Nav. I did ask them to check what version I had but was just handed my keys on return. A couple of months ago a delivery driver told me my postcode wasn’t on his sat nav but he had been here when building was going on so remembered and Sky driver phoned me last year with same problem. Must be lots of people driving around with old versions.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 01:26:40 PM »
The latest versions are only as good as the company that supplies them. I had a TomTom One that showed a dual carriageway in Kirkcaldy that didn't exist, never did exist and was not planned to be built. My stepdaughter's house is not on any sat nav I have used despite having been built many years ago. Most of the rest of the street is, except the bit at the end (a cul-de-sac).

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 02:06:03 PM »
I wonder if mapping providers rely on feedback. I don't suppose they can cover every nook and cranny.

Maybe a report would get them looking for a future update.
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 02:31:02 PM »
Happens with all brands of sat nav.  A couple of years ago my standalone (also a Garmin) tried to take me on the A14 through Huntingdon.   I had the latest maps, updated 4 times a year.    Unknown to me A 14 is now a bypass, and worst still a section of the original road had literally been dug up and returned to a green field  . Well grown.  Must have happened at least 18 months before.  Huntingdon was full confused and lost drivers. I could have found the old route, except it no longer existed! 

In some countries the opposite can happen.   Maps updated in advance of planned motorway construction.  Which gets cancelled or delayed for years. So the road you expected to follow does not exist.  In fact in a couple of instances I have followed the same route 3 years running , thinking that surely the road still featured on the latest  satnav updates  must be finished by now. Nah.  :P       And thats not counting the many times I have travelled on a road that has has obviously been open for years   yet on the satnav I am following a breadcrumb trail  in the middle of nowhere.   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 04:05:04 PM »
https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=pJLZBzPen9A7OXw5vlRyu5
Yeah, I shouldnt really complain if I've done nothing to help   :-[   I know the A14 was sorted not long after. The others were in places where I cant speak the local lingo, or fully familiar with locations .  Ok, maybe Garmin themselves dont speak the local lingo either and would welcome my input in english.  My pathetic excuses for doing nothing rarely bear close scrutiny   :-X

IIRC from an earlier post one of  the members on here is/ was closely involved in local map updating. Is that you?    If so   Thanks .Stuff doesnt just happen.   :-*
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 04:13:21 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 11:32:00 PM »
Maybe a report would get them looking for a future update.
I did that and also pointed out that you cannot drive through the public park due to the steel posts set in the ground. Nothing changed.
The maps I have now for TomTom Go are updated regularly but one night I was directed through a strange part of Edinburgh (strange to me, though there are many very strange parts of Edinburgh). It wanted me to cross the Union Canal  - at a footbridge. When I drove away from it to find another route it kept directing me back. I had to use the inbuilt compass in my head.

JJazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Exiled Scot
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2022, 09:38:28 AM »
Can someone with a new car in last few months enter my postcode TN21 0GA (that’s zero not O) into their Sat Nav to see if it works?. Can we find out what version on the Garmin?.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2022, 09:50:17 AM »
Works on my 2018 HR-V
Software Version: 3.45
Honda: 2.0

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2022, 10:10:20 AM »
I'm away from mine till Wed but if I remember I'll test on my Jazz with the latest 2022 update and my Garmin DS61, just out of interest.

Remind me Wed  :)

JJazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Exiled Scot
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2022, 11:03:48 AM »
My version 2.09
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 11:09:47 AM by JJazz »

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2022, 11:37:25 AM »
My version 2.09
That's not the Map version, that's the Navigation app version, that rarely changes.

You need to look in Settings > Map and Vehicle > myMaps for the map version.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2022, 12:33:36 PM »
Can someone with a new car in last few months enter my postcode TN21 0GA (that’s zero not O) into their Sat Nav to see if it works?. Can we find out what version on the Garmin?.
Works perfectly on Waze and Google maps.

Tags: